Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #1

maiden voyage......reefer only main issue

Other than I prolly need to get a bigger truck (although my half ton Chevy with 3.42 did pretty good), we had the maiden voyage of the Wolf Creek 26DBH, complete with wife, daughter, and 3 grandkids. We all slept fine.

Only problem is the reefer. This is truly an "entry level" unit!!! There are no electronic controls for freezer or refrig. Just some kind of sliding plastic thingy that magically changes temperature, but only slightly! (Who thinks these things up, monkeys?)

I set it up a week ahead of time, and the first problem was the refrig temp got down to about 20F. Brr.

I slid that thing all around, moved it to different coils, you name it. It finally got up to 37. HOWEVER, when the refrig goes to 37, the freezer goes to about 28, not enough to make ice in less than a decade.

Then when we loaded it for the trip (a whopping 40 miles), and let it run on LP on the way there, it was 57F when we got there! I finally moved the slider thingy to the first coil, max cold, and it started to slowly chill. Overnight, it got down to 31F in refrig and 14F in freezer. Refrig was pretty loaded for 6 people, won't be that way often with just me and wife. (BTW, what's a "DH"? I hope it ain't double header.....wife won't let me try that!!! )

It never did do right the entire trip.

A) is this normal?
B) manual says there are about 8 models, and some have electronic controls for 'warmer/colder' on both refrig and freezer. Are these better? Do they cost a mint?
C) I have a dorm refrig in my shop that my daughter used in college. Still works like a champ. If I had floor space, I'd just take that, but I hate having to do that.

Ideas????

By the way, the condensation hose never did leak even a drop of water. The tray had SOME in it, but not too much. I thought that was odd.

P.S.
The rest of the stuff worked as advertised.......except we had way too many trees to even try to unbox the new satellite dish!
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #2

P.S.
We had "Cousin Eddie" and his entire family across from us. I have no idea how they got there. Travel trailer, three boat trailers, a pull behind fiberglass storage unit, only one pickup truck, five small kids with fifty elebben toys each (including cap guns and motorized cars). They had no water on their side of street, so when our next door neighbors left, they 'stole' the water from their site with a 100' hose. I didn't mind, but it was sort of humorous. I think they are pros at this stuff, but they 'spread out' all over heck and gone.

I 'spect there's a Cousin Eddie at every campgrounds, somehow.

The rest of the folks were the nicest folks I've ever met. Helpful, cheerful, talkative, friendly...........this is a heck of a way of life for old folks like me (65 yesterday). But there ARE a few that make me sort of chuckle.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Site Team

the slider thermister, is pretty standard on most RV fridges, not just "entry" level ones.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #4

Well, then somebody ought to go postal!!! That's nuts!

No reason they don't have a simple electronically adjustable thermostat, is there?
Old 06-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
Always Learning

Someone posted on here about a product called "Snip the tip", I think that converts the RV fridge from the slider to an actual thermostat. Or something. Might check it out instead of going postal.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Only problem is the reefer. This is truly an "entry level" unit!!! There are no electronic controls for freezer or refrig. Just some kind of sliding plastic thingy that magically changes temperature, but only slightly! (Who thinks these things up, monkeys?)

I set it up a week ahead of time, and the first problem was the refrig temp got down to about 20F. Brr.

I slid that thing all around, moved it to different coils, you name it. It finally got up to 37. HOWEVER, when the refrig goes to 37, the freezer goes to about 28, not enough to make ice in less than a decade.

It never did do right the entire trip.

A) is this normal?
Yeppers.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #7

I have used one of these for years. It cools things quicker and keeps the refrigerator temp more uniform. Two batteries last us all season.

Camco 44123 RV Fridge Airator - Walmart.com
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote