Old 01-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #1

Manual Satellite Dish

Dish aligning problems, tried everything thus far, need some good advice from experts.....all settings have been adjusted on dish, cannot get a satellite to answer the call...HELP
KICKSTER

2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #2
Site Team

My suggestion is to take all your stuff outside your trailer and try to hook it up out there - to eliminate switches/splitters/etc. in your trailer wiring/coax. If you get a good signal out there, you know your antenna is set correctly. One of our members did the above and determined his problem was in his trailer. In my case, my antenna setting was WRONG because in the bright of day, I couldn't see the index marks for elevation.

If it works outside, you'll have to check coax. I used my Sat 1 input and never could get it to work. Switched to Sat 2 and got a signal at my controller and a good pic on the primary TV. Then I used the Sat 1 out put at the TV to connect to the bedroom TV controller and all was well. It only took about 4 days! HA! Coax has to be good... none of that RG59 or whatever it's called. No crimped connections, etc.

Are you using DIRECTV or Dish or what?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:44 PM   #3

It takes a few times to make aiming the dish fairly easy. It really helps if the dish mount (post up the middle) is as close to vertical as you can get it. I (bought a device from Radio Shack (analog satellite finder) that helps align the dish or at least get it close. I can easily get one satellite but sometimes have trouble getting both (10 and 19).

I have also found out that once you are close scan through the transponder list to see if one is better than the others.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:55 PM   #4
Old Timer

I have used Directv for years with a plain round satellite dish. Some days it would lock on as soon as I set it out and other times it would take two hours of cussing and a break before I could find it. Usually depends on terrain and trees but mostly leveling. I finally got tired of that and broke down and bought a Winegard Anser. Just set the elevation for your location and plug it in. It rotates around checking signal strength and then locks on. Works like a dream. Now I don't leave home without it.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:59 PM   #5

Had the same problem for years, one time could setup in minutes. Next time would take hours, as above, of breaks / cussing / paying people $ 50.00 to setup satelite /talking to DirecTV. Got to make sure the dish is vertical, use level to set center pole vertical. Problem solved - procured a Winegard Tailgater, just plug it in and it locates the satelite. Love it.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:31 AM   #6

Not sure if you have dish or dtv....dtv here and if does not get it on tripod, I just take it by hand and move it around till it beeps....several times have had to put it right behind a big tree where you would never think a signal would be...lol...good luck

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:16 AM   #7

DISH

Finally convinced DISH to come out and take care of us, really great on there part, all is well and the dish works great.
Also found out that the dish I was using would not work here in Florida as it was set to receive different satellites.....opps
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:28 PM   #8

How well does your Tailgater work? We bought one, but always seem to have signal problems due to trees (pretty common at most campgrounds). We're in Mich so the satellites are lower to the horizon so trees become more of an issue.

Tags
manual, satellite