Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #21

You probably realize now that there are no "inexpensive" solutions to your issue. Reliable WiFi at campgrounds is usually a myth. You may want to try this company that supplies satellite/wifi/4G across Canada. How it Works You are going to need to do a lot more research to find a solution that is appropriate to your needs. There is no easy way. We use Shawdirect TV at our seasonal site in Manitoba and winter in south Texas. (Shaw will not provide any support outside of Canada so you will have to be a little creative, eg. dishpointer.com.) I don't know where you are at with your RVing experience; but when we were travelling with our early-teen sons, the best times were spent around the campfire. That was a few years ago before I phones, Ipads and Ipods. Good luck in your search.
BlackMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #22
Another adventure awaits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper77 View Post
So this will be my first year out with a TT. Had a pop up before. I'm wondering about the television and how people watch. I don't subscribe to any satellite TV we only have Netflix. I know I can use the netflix but most of the parks we go to typically don't have readily available wifi. My question is...is there another way(cheap!) to tap into wifi for Netflix? Also, how is the signal from the trailer antennae now a days?

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7
2015 Rockwood Ultralite 2905ss
We watch local channels we can get via antenna, DVD Player and a WD ... WD hooks up up TV ... connect a external hard drive to the WD ... download shows, movies etc to external HD and can watch whenever ... WD = Western Digital ... sort of like Apple TV ...
HESN22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:30 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HESN22 View Post
We watch local channels we can get via antenna, DVD Player and a WD ... WD hooks up up TV ... connect a external hard drive to the WD ... download shows, movies etc to external HD and can watch whenever ... WD = Western Digital ... sort of like Apple TV ...
Western Digital is a maker of hard drives. Can you clarify what WD you have that need an external drive and works like an Apple TV? Might help people find the right item.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:37 PM   #24

Quote:

Ok so let me get this strait. When you hook your external hard drive to the WD, it's kinda like having a PVR? How do you set that up? I have a Roku 2 that streams my Netflix. Can I do the same with that?

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
HappyCamper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:52 PM   #25

WD Live Streaming TV Media Player ...
Old 02-09-2015, 10:53 PM   #26

can buy at costco, best buy etc
Old 02-09-2015, 10:54 PM   #27

I will have to check my husband in regards to that ... he is the techie in the family ... believe the WD attached to the tv by HDMI cable ...
Old 02-10-2015, 06:09 AM   #28

Quote:
WD Live Streaming TV Media Player ...

Yes that's exactly what my Roku is. Small box that streams Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Quote:
WD hooks up up TV ... connect a external hard drive to the WD ... download shows, movies etc to external HD and can watch whenever ... WD = Western Digital ... sort of like Apple TV ...

Im wondering how this is done. It sounds like when you're at home, you set this up, save the entire series of let's say "Dexter" onto the external hard drive. Then while at the CG you hook the hard drive to the TV and watch your show. Is this accurate?
How does the WD connect to the hard drive? How does the hard drive connect to the TV?
Sorry, I'm a techno moron. Lol.

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
HappyCamper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #29
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper77 View Post
Yes that's exactly what my Roku is. Small box that streams Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Im wondering how this is done. It sounds like when you're at home, you set this up, save the entire series of let's say "Dexter" onto the external hard drive. Then while at the CG you hook the hard drive to the TV and watch your show. Is this accurate?
How does the WD connect to the hard drive? How does the hard drive connect to the TV?
Sorry, I'm a techno moron. Lol.

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7

Here you go!

http://www.learntorv.com/2014/06/rip...-portable.html

I've used this for many hours at home, in the camper, and we even use the HD for in the truck watching directly on iPad/iPods.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:23 AM   #30

I don't know about DISH in Canada. If I didn't have 7 tvs to hook up to dish, this is what I would do:
Sign up for dish with local coverage and what ever add ons you want. Get the vip211k box which you can use at home and in your camper. Get a tailgater and you are ready. When you get to a campground and set up let DISH know and they will turn on the local channels. You will have access to dish online and be able to watch from your computer if you have a tv in the bedroom and have wifi access. One fee takes care of home and camper.

For wifi access in remote places, go to Wally World and get a 4G hotspot and buy the data you think you will need. If your cellphone works so will the hotspot.
Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:49 AM   #31

We use a PS3 it plays dvd,blue ray,music cd's,and video games
Old 03-09-2015, 11:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Here you go!

Learn To RV: Ripping DVDs to make them portable

I've used this for many hours at home, in the camper, and we even use the HD for in the truck watching directly on iPad/iPods.
Being a big believer in "not wanting to get up and swap out the DVD's", I think the idea of being able to stream to the TV makes perfect sense.

For those thinking about doing the same thing, I can provide some advise. Don't purchase a ChromeCast expecting it to work as is described in the attached article. ChromeCast apparently requires an active Internet connection at all times... which when you are streaming movies from NetFlix is pretty much a given, but when you are in an RV Park in the middle of nowhere, an internet connection might not always be available or fast, so streaming your own video on a LAN might be the only practical choice.

And, with Chromecast, you have no additional choices. At least as far as I can tell.

And, I hope by posting this if someone knows something different than I do, you can save me a trip to best buy to return the Chromecast for a Roku Streaming Stick. Please save me the trip.

Joe
january14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:16 PM   #33
Always Learning

Can you trick the Chromecast with a wifi network that's not connected to the Internet?

For the Roku setup that I described, you need one.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:36 PM   #34

The Chromecast was well aware that the Wifi Network from the Seagate did not have Internet access... and refused connection from Seagate Media App until it was connected via a secondary connection off the Seagate.

I was hoping to avoid that as a conclusion... and was hoping that the Roku would not also require Internet Access, at least recurring access past the Setup. Bummer.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:06 AM   #35
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by january14 View Post
The Chromecast was well aware that the Wifi Network from the Seagate did not have Internet access... and refused connection from Seagate Media App until it was connected via a secondary connection off the Seagate.

I was hoping to avoid that as a conclusion... and was hoping that the Roku would not also require Internet Access, at least recurring access past the Setup. Bummer.

The Roku only needs Internet for the initial setup. Beyond that, it isn't required.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:48 AM   #36

Thanks for the Info... I will be very happy to pay for a Roku now. :-)
Old 03-10-2015, 09:29 AM   #37
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by january14 View Post
Thanks for the Info... I will be very happy to pay for a Roku now. :-)

Cool! Let me know if you have any questions. This setup has really worked well for us.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:59 PM   #38

I went back to Best Buy today and swapped the Chromecast for the Roku Streaming Stick. I had a little trouble installing the Roku Media Channel/App. I'm sure they are all about the same in the Roku Lineup, but I had to complete the "setup" process on the computer for the Streaming Stick. During this process it downloaded a lot of "Channel or Apps" to the Streaming Stick (NetFlix, Vudu, Amazon something, etc.), but none of those was the Media Channel. I tried to manually add the Channel and it kept saying that it was already installed.

So, I took the stick to the camper along with the drive and played with it there for about an hour before I finally activated the HotSpot on my phone and linked to the Channel Store. I was then able to download the Media Channel.

From there on, it works exactly like the article states. I was able to see all of the movies/TV shows on the TV Screen and they played flawlessly. And, never required Internet Access as I had turned off the hotspot.

Thanks,
Joe