Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 09:17 AM   #1

Method of watching TV

So this will be my first year out with a TT. Had a pop up before. I'm wondering about the television and how people watch. I don't subscribe to any satellite TV we only have Netflix. I know I can use the netflix but most of the parks we go to typically don't have readily available wifi. My question is...is there another way(cheap!) to tap into wifi for Netflix? Also, how is the signal from the trailer antennae now a days?

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7
2015 Rockwood Ultralite 2905ss

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
HappyCamper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:00 AM   #2

Antennas depend on many things ( location,trees, weather). Most trailer antennas are good for 20 to 30 miles without a problem after that it's up to all the things that can block the signal. We shoot for the local channel to get news and use the dvd player for everything else. I am also looking into ways to get the internet and satellite dish for Tv as we will be spending more time in our trailer since I'm retiring. So far as to the antenna we have been able to get enough to satisfy us for short term.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #3

As far as TV reception over the antenna goes todays' digital signals are much different/better than the old analog signals. With analog you could get fuzzy reception on the screen called snow. With digital signals you either get a signal or don't. Now the strength of that signal is directional so you need to point the antenna toward the source. Most modern tv's have a signal strength meter built in, you have to look in the setup menu or installation menu somewhere. Make sure the tv input is set to antenna, not cable. Turn the antenna booster on, raise and rotate the antenna to get the strongest signal. Then do a channel search which is also in the setup menu or installation menu. It helps to look what direction other campers have their antenna pointed.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #4

You can set up a personal wifi set up.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper77 View Post
So this will be my first year out with a TT. Had a pop up before. I'm wondering about the television and how people watch. I don't subscribe to any satellite TV we only have Netflix. I know I can use the netflix but most of the parks we go to typically don't have readily available wifi. My question is...is there another way(cheap!) to tap into wifi for Netflix? Also, how is the signal from the trailer antennae now a days?

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7

If you have unlimited data on your phone you can always attach your phone to the TV. Iirc you can stream Netflix over your cell data.

Another thing we're going to do is use my wife's kindle fire hdx along with Amazon fire stick and we can stream anything stored on her kindle to the TV with no wires. We'll probably have kid shows downloaded to it for our little one.
Rookie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie19 View Post
If you have unlimited data on your phone you can always attach your phone to the TV. Iirc you can stream Netflix over your cell data.

Another thing we're going to do is use my wife's kindle fire hdx along with Amazon fire stick and we can stream anything stored on her kindle to the TV with no wires. We'll probably have kid shows downloaded to it for our little one.

Unfortunately I don't think the cell phone will work in this case. The only Canadian providers who offer unlimited are only located in major cities. If I try to use my Wind phone when camping on the Canadian side it's almost always costing me.

To the OP, we generally run a mix of DVDs and iPhone/iPad/Samsung to HDMI converters to watch movies on the road. I think I've only tried to use the antenna once in the two years I've been camping and gave up after I realized I could only pick up CBC where I was at.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #7

what about a wifi hot spot, or a IPAD air, seems you could stream if you have a unlimited data with either one of these, ?
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #8
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
I'm wondering about the television and how people watch.
We run the antenna up and search for the local stations. We use the TV for local weather mostly. If there's no reception, or it's limited, we put the antenna down and fuggaboutit. Local FM radio (PBS) is our main news and weather source, satellite radio (always available) is our main entertainment.
True story: NFL on TV, reception excellent. Me? Sitting by the fire listening to the game on radio.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #9

My "Honey-Bunny" is the tech guru in this household. With the previous camper she bought a "Jet Pack" and a "Firestick". That's all I remember about what they are. I believe that post #6 covered how this works though, it uses data on you phone plan. ME--I could care less for a TV anywhere near me when I am camping. She has other priorities. The new TT has a digital antennae, which is weird because you cannot move it. It's just stationary but gets great reception. With her set-up she can do Netflix, Youtube, and a bunch of other stuff.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #10
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

We have had Verizon for toooo many years. So, yea, were on the unlimited data plan. Issues with hotspot wifi data, its location location location. If your out in the booneys then DVDs DVDs DVDs. Wev do use the hotspot when ever we can. The phone companies use the towers in your local area of camping and that could/does limit you to dial up service speed. Forget about the 4G thingy cuz its all about the city and the burbs. We have two 48 DVD holder packs for the granddaughter and we still go to yard sales. Happy shopping!
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
Antennas depend on many things ( location,trees, weather). Most trailer antennas are good for 20 to 30 miles without a problem after that it's up to all the things that can block the signal. We shoot for the local channel to get news and use the dvd player for everything else. I am also looking into ways to get the internet and satellite dish for Tv as we will be spending more time in our trailer since I'm retiring. So far as to the antenna we have been able to get enough to satisfy us for short term.

I guess that was the main thing I was wondering. The last time I used an antenna I was 10. And that's all me had. Lol. So it sounds like there are channels out there still available through the sky.

As for unlimited data...no such beast in Canada. If you have it you have probably given up your right leg to get it. $$$!!
I have an old rocket stick that I used to use when away from home. Has anyone streamed Netflix from this? I don't know if it would be fast enough. Its probably 5 years old by now.

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
Old 02-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
You can set up a personal wifi set up.

What do you mean by this?

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
Old 02-09-2015, 01:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
As far as TV reception over the antenna goes todays' digital signals are much different/better than the old analog signals. With analog you could get fuzzy reception on the screen called snow. With digital signals you either get a signal or don't. Now the strength of that signal is directional so you need to point the antenna toward the source. Most modern tv's have a signal strength meter built in, you have to look in the setup menu or installation menu somewhere. Make sure the tv input is set to antenna, not cable. Turn the antenna booster on, raise and rotate the antenna to get the strongest signal. Then do a channel search which is also in the setup menu or installation menu. It helps to look what direction other campers have their antenna pointed.

Ow does all that work? Is it just the TV that has to be digital or do I need a digital antenna?

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L
Old 02-09-2015, 01:32 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...As for unlimited data...no such beast in Canada. If you have it you have probably given up your right leg to get it. $$$!!

I have an old rocket stick that I used to use when away from home. Has anyone streamed Netflix from this? I don't know if it would be fast enough. Its probably 5 years old by now.

Well, technically there is unlimited options in Canada, I've got it with Wind Mobile. But the trade off is their network coverage is only in major cities so when you're at a campsite you're probably roaming in Rogers and paying Rogers for the privilege.

Since you said 'Rocket Stick' I assume you're a Rogers Customer. You'll have to find out what the going rates are for it, but looking at their site I'd say you'll be looking at anywhere between $40-80 a month for it.

Much cheaper to bring either DVDs or digital copies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #15

TV antenna helper free is an android app we found that helps us to pre-a light our antenna with the strongest signals. I lay it on the bed, so it's laying the same direction as the roof top antenna. Having marked which direction the real antenna lays by making a small marks-alot dot on the rotating knob, I turn the antenna to align with the apps signal. It makes it a lot easier to use the roof antenna. It may help you.

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #16

I stream my wifi through my cell phone by using my wireless hot spot. I was surprised to find that streaming tv or even my wife working on her computers while rv'ing. yes I said computers she uses 2 or 3 computers at one time for her work. anyway a week of her working in the rv and she only used 1/4 of a gig of data on my phone.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Ow does all that work? Is it just the TV that has to be digital or do I need a digital antenna?

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7
A regular antenna will work just fine.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:17 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

We usually use our antenna unless a campground has cable. Bring plenty of coax cable as sometimes the hookup can be a little distant. Make sure your boost is on for antenna and off for cable. You will need to do a scan function on your TV for channels each time you go to a new campground. Sometimes you need to turn your antenna too. We also carry a good amount of dvds for evenings or rainy day watching. Sometimes we sit outside and watch the movie as a family. Be aware most campgrounds WiFi is not very good. They frown on streaming and sometimes the WiFi will kick you off if you stream or after a certain amount of time. This is because there are so many trying to share the WiFi it slows it to a crawl.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:11 PM   #19

As for antenna if you wont digital and have a older rv you can get a digital box. This will triple your channels. However the newer rvs already have a digital antenna installed so you don't need the box.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by j free View Post
As for antenna if you wont digital and have a older rv you can get a digital box. This will triple your channels. However the newer rvs already have a digital antenna installed so you don't need the box.

Great. Mines a 2015. I haven't even been inside it yet!

Ontario, Canada

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L