Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 04:05 PM   #1

Microwave/Convection Oven Issue

I have a Half Time Oven, microwave/convection oven combo that has an issue. The convection oven side works just fine but the microwave side does not. When I try to use the microwave side it runs but does not heat. From trying to be a YouTube mechanic the issue could be with the fuse, magnetron, diode, or capacitor, the issue is more than likely with the magnetron and/or diode. I am not a fan of messing around with electricity but can do it if I know how to properly discharge the voltage in the capacitor.

With that being said half of the RV repair places around here send the microwave out to be worked and the other half have just said to by a new one as it is not worth changing out parts. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and what they ended up doing.

Thanks
m000336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #2

There all so cheap, repair is not practical. replace it.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:58 PM   #3

With that being said can anyone recommend a microwave/convection oven that won't break the bank. So far the only ones that I have been able to find are High Pointe, Contoure, or Dometic. All have mixed reviews but so far the Contoure seems to be the one that is more readily available, although it seems like some modification of the cabinet is necessary. Also even if I do have to change out all of the guts of my current model wold it still be less than $350, which is the lowest price I can find a Contoure.
m000336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:17 AM   #4

My 2017 Forester came with a Furrion convection/microwave. I've never heard of the brand but it works so thought I'd offer up another brand to check $$.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:23 AM   #5

Another tidbit. The reason the shop sends the microwave out for repair is it should only be repaired by a licensed technician due to high voltage and microwave radiation dangers.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #6

My 2014 340Rk came with a Frigidaire combo unit that has worked perfectly the entire time we have had it. I have only used the unit for the last 5 months, but it has worked well.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
There all so cheap, repair is not practical. replace it.
I also don't think that the repair is practical. Anyways just give it for repairing and check whether there is any possibility of getting it repaired.
I have been using my microwave oven(HMC80251UC | Microwave Ovens - Bosch | Best Brand Appliance) the last 7 years. Till date, I haven't faced any complaint about it. It was the oven that my dad gifted me for my housewarming. I always use it for grilling and baking. So when you purchase a microwave oven always buy a good quality one with good features so that it will be long lasting.
Roy Felton is offline   Reply With Quote