Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #1

Microwave loosening During Travel

We have a Tracer 2670 BHS travel trailer with a Magic Chef microwave that works loose from the retaining frame holding it in position. We have reinstalled the screws that attach the frame to the microwave twice. It becomes loose after normal travel on a highway...not a bumpy road. We are worried that it will fall out during travel. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a permanent solution to the problem?

TravelTracer
Old 06-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #2

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelTracer View Post
We have a Tracer 2670 BHS travel trailer with a Magic Chef microwave that works loose from the retaining frame holding it in position. We have reinstalled the screws that attach the frame to the microwave twice. It becomes loose after normal travel on a highway...not a bumpy road. We are worried that it will fall out during travel. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a permanent solution to the problem?

TravelTracer
Our Cedar Creek had that problem, ours is the confection/microwave and it was coming down when we made our 2dn trip to AZ from MI. There should be two anchor bolts in the cupboard above it. With some help to hold it from dropping unscrew those two bolts and lift up while lowering the front and it'll come off the holding bracket on the wall, then set the oven on a beach towel or blanket to keep from scratching the stove or counter. Check that bracket screwed to the wall studs. Ours had to screws into the studs on one side and lose screws into nothing but the wall board on the other side. I bought molly bolts ans drilled new holes and inserted the molly's and put more then needed screws into the thing. The bracket is secure now, then I put a piece of 2" wood inside the above cupboard and screwed the bottom of the shelf to it for support and installed the oven back on the bracket and put the anchor bolts back in. That sucker is solid now and the only way it'll come lose is if it pulls the whole kitchen wall down.. Our confection/Microwave is pretty heavy but now I know it's there to stay. Sounds like a bunch of work, but not really, just have an extra set of hands to get it down and put it back up.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:13 AM   #3

Had the same happen on our first trip on our Cedar Creek too. Just happened to pass a Camping World that was a Forest River dealer that took care of us in a few hours. Same problem - the factory secured the back plate to the 1/8" plywood instead of something solid. The previous post is spot on with the fix.

2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel
2012 Cedar Creek 30RL
Full Timers Since October 2012
RenoRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #4

thanks for the replies...I think our configuration is a little different. Our microwave has a bracket/faceplate that screws to the surrounding wood frame. There are two screws that go thru the top of the bracket into the top of the microwave. Itsthetwoofus: you're right about needing an extra set of hands. We'll try to fix it on Tuesday when DW and I both are available to work on it.

TravelTracer
Old 09-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelTracer View Post
thanks for the replies...I think our configuration is a little different. Our microwave has a bracket/faceplate that screws to the surrounding wood frame. There are two screws that go thru the top of the bracket into the top of the microwave. Itsthetwoofus: you're right about needing an extra set of hands. We'll try to fix it on Tuesday when DW and I both are available to work on it.

TravelTracer
My lacrosse is doing the same thing. How did you fix yours? The screw just turns and there wood shavings falling down on the exhaust hood. It looks like all thats holding it is the face plate. The microwave rubber feet dont make contact with anything but the electric wiring laying in the cabinet. Another fine moment in owning a new forest river (prime time)product. Unreal!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote