Old 04-15-2019, 02:39 PM   #1

Question Microwave turns off TV

Hi there. Newbie here. Got an issue with my 16 Freedom Express since new. The microwave and tv are on the same circuit and when the microwave is turned on, the tv shuts itself off. After the micro turns off, the tv will turn back on in approx 30 seconds. The breaker does not trip. Thinking I need some kind of "surge protector" for the tv. Anyone have a similar issue?

sorrento45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #2
Head Rambler

It sounds like what you have is a load shed device between the tv and the microwave. The operation you're experiencing is completely normal for that device. They normally put the load shed device between the microwave and fireplace, but it could be between any two appliances on the same circuit.

It could be located near either appliance so you'll probably have to do a little digging to find it. Once you do that you can move the tv to a different circuit or disable the device and see if both the tv and microwave will run without tripping the breaker.

Probably looks something like this.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:15 PM   #3

Much Appreciated Bama!. Further investigation proved you were exactly right. I found this box behind my main breaker box. Using the wiring diagram on the top I took the secondary black wire and moved it to the same spot as the primary black wire......basically bypassing this switch.
There is also a fireplace in the same general location as the TV outlet and I am suspecting they intended to put the fireplace on this box, but instead they wired the tv receptacle to it.
Now I know the cause of my original concern, I'm going to look into seeing if it is safe to leave the wiring this way or whether I need to re-wire things permanently.
Hopefully this helps somebody else one day since Google has nothing on this issue.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrento45 View Post
Much Appreciated Bama!. Further investigation proved you were exactly right. I found this box behind my main breaker box. Using the wiring diagram on the top I took the secondary black wire and moved it to the same spot as the primary black wire......basically bypassing this switch.
There is also a fireplace in the same general location as the TV outlet and I am suspecting they intended to put the fireplace on this box, but instead they wired the tv receptacle to it.
Now I know the cause of my original concern, I'm going to look into seeing if it is safe to leave the wiring this way or whether I need to re-wire things permanently.
Hopefully this helps somebody else one day since Google has nothing on this issue.
Yes, put the fireplace on the box. You can not run the fireplace and the microwave at the same time. they will overload the circuit.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:19 PM   #5

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6le73evjj20bgh/PSS.jpg?dl=0
Old 04-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #6
Head Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrento45 View Post
Glad you found it.

It's perfectly safe to leave it wired as you have it. It sounds as if the fireplace and the microwave are on separate circuits. If that's the case, then there's really nothing else you need to do. Just be aware that running the microwave and fireplace at the same time uses a good amount of your 30 amp service so if anything else is running at the same time you may trip either the main or pedestal breaker. Still nothing about that is unsafe.

Tags
microwave