Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
If you want to post us a couple of pictures of the back of your dish we can probably tell you how to do it.
Here are the pictures. Tilt on top elevation on the bottom the dish is 18x20.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goshen 014.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	39508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goshen 015.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	39509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goshen 016.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	39510  

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Here are the pictures. Tilt on top elevation on the bottom the dish is 18x20.
What you're calling "tilt" is what we're calling skew.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #23

Quote:
What you're calling "tilt" is what we're calling skew.
Okay thanks DTV calls it tilt when you bring up the install program, So I do not need the 3 things that were talked about just the tilt and elevation and the azimuth not anything that is called skew is this correct? Thanks Barry.....

Old 09-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #24

Tilt refers to the up/down angle of the entire dish. Skew is a rotation of the LNB and can be ignored.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Horned Owl View Post
Tilt refers to the up/down angle of the entire dish. Skew is a rotation of the LNB and can be ignored.

Joel
Joel, Directtv has three main settings or two depending on the dish/lnb.

They call the first one the azimuth (which is the degrees the dish aims south to)

They call the next one the elevation (which is the degrees to the horizon)

They call the third one the tilt (which is the angle of the dish/lnb's). Some sites refer to this as the skew.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/dishPointer.jsp

As taken from the above site:

To aim your dish, you'll need to know your azimuth and elevation coordinates. Azimuth relates to the left-to-right positioning of your dish. Elevation concerns the up-and-down positioning of your dish. Your DIRECTV Receiver is programmed to give you these coordinates and help point your dish. You'll find this in the on-screen Setup Menu, but because menus vary from system to system, check your owner's manual.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Horned Owl View Post
Tilt refers to the up/down angle of the entire dish. Skew is a rotation of the LNB and can be ignored. Joel
Joel, you're not on the same page it seems. For a multi-LNB dish, you have to make adjustments in three axis: Azimuth, Elevation (which you seem to want to call "tilt"), and the rotation of the three LNBs relative to the horizon (which OC and I were calling skew and Glenn is calling tilt). No matter what you call them, you have to adjust in three axis, regardless of any polarization issues.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #27
Site Team

Here is the direct tv installation guide:

Pages 9, 10, and 11 may help in the understanding of the elevation, azimuth, and tilt.

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/124...aManual_1D.pdf

This is also taken from the link above and helps with the tilt:

NOTE 2:
In most of the U.S., the Tilt Adjustment should be
fixed. However, because of large Tilt angle to 119° satellite in
Eastern Seaboard states, a small amount of Tilt fine-tuning
adjustment may improve 119° signal strength without
significantly changing 101° signal reading. For these states,
the following Tilt fine-tuning procedures are recommended:

1.Follow alignment procedures from Step 1 through Step 9;

tighten Elevation and Mast clamp bolts.

2. Fine-tune Tilt Adjustment first by +3 degrees and then

–3 degrees. Tilt is optimized when you see the 101°
signal reading essentially unchanged and 119° signal
strength improved by several points. Set Tilt to the
optimized point and tighten Tilt nuts

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #28

Thanks wmtire! I agree that this thread is about DirecTV and we should use their terms, but for the record, Dish calls it "skew", so that's where the confusion originated.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Thanks wmtire! I agree that this thread is about DirecTV and we should use their terms, but for the record, Dish calls it "skew", so that's where the confusion originated.
A big thanks to everyone I set it up in back yard and printed out the link from wmtire. Daisy-Boykon sent me a PM and said anything east of the Mississippi just set the (tilt or skew) to 58. I couldn't get it again the program told me 41 to set it at, so I tried 58 that Sid told me and boom I got it in about 3mins all 3 stats at 100 percent. A big THANK YOU to everyone......

Old 09-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
A big thanks to everyone I set it up in back yard and printed out the link from wmtire. Daisy-Boykon sent me a PM and said anything east of the Mississippi just set the (tilt or skew) to 58. I couldn't get it again the program told me 41 to set it at, so I tried 58 that Sid told me and boom I got it in about 3mins all 3 stats at 100 percent. A big THANK YOU to everyone......
Glad to hear it.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Joel, Directtv has three main settings or two depending on the dish/lnb.

They call the first one the azimuth (which is the degrees the dish aims south to)

They call the next one the elevation (which is the degrees to the horizon)

They call the third one the tilt (which is the angle of the dish/lnb's). Some sites refer to this as the skew.

Dish Pointer

As taken from the above site:

To aim your dish, you'll need to know your azimuth and elevation coordinates. Azimuth relates to the left-to-right positioning of your dish. Elevation concerns the up-and-down positioning of your dish. Your DIRECTV Receiver is programmed to give you these coordinates and help point your dish. You'll find this in the on-screen Setup Menu, but because menus vary from system to system, check your owner's manual.
Yes, I know. That is essentially what I said. However, for GirecTV, the skew can safely be ignored.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #32

if you have HD Locals and you are not using the same dish you won't get locals .... We've had directtv for years.... but they are not RV friendly!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Station View Post
if you have HD Locals and you are not using the same dish you won't get locals .... We've had directtv for years.... but they are not RV friendly!
Thanks for the clarification. Have the motorhome parked at home and got the RV dish out and yup, all the satellite channels are there, but no local channels at all.

If I take my HD box instead of my SD box, I probably won't get local channels unless I get a different satellite dish, right? When I was doing my research, I ended up getting this single LBN dish rather than one with 3, so I guess unless I buy a different type of dish, I won't be able to access the other satellites.

Frankly, I went with the SD box because research said it was easier to hook up. I'm going with easy right now. The TV midship is nice and has all kind of HDMI connections, but would almost have to run an ultra long one just to get HD. Perhaps not worth it. Just would like local channels, but the TV antenna that came with motorhome is pretty bad at getting over air channels even at home!!
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #34

Lvnlife1973, it depends on your area. In some areas locals come down on the DSS 101 satellite, which also has the main lineup for all other SD channels. In most other areas locals come down on the DSS 110 or DSS 119, so you would have to aim your dish at the other satellite to get the local channels. Or get a multiple LNB dish to get all the satellites.

The single LNB dish is good for traveling though, you only have to aim at DSS 101 to get all the regular SD channels. You won't be able to get locals once your out of the spot beam for you LMA (local market area), which is based on your billing zip code.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs_diesel View Post
Lvnlife1973, it depends on your area. In some areas locals come down on the DSS 101 satellite, which also has the main lineup for all other SD channels. In most other areas locals come down on the DSS 110 or DSS 119, so you would have to aim your dish at the other satellite to get the local channels. Or get a multiple LNB dish to get all the satellites.

The single LNB dish is good for traveling though, you only have to aim at DSS 101 to get all the regular SD channels. You won't be able to get locals once your out of the spot beam for you LMA (local market area), which is based on your billing zip code.
I was wondering about that. The local channels are only available if you're in your LMA, right? So if I'm out of my LMA, I can't pick up local channels outside of my spot beam. I initially thought local channels were available everywhere.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #36

Your reciever is set to your account and zip code so it knows which locals to pull in for you. You are correct in that once you are out of the spot beam for your local channels, you lose them. I haven't tried pulling a different regions local channels, since I would have to re aim the dish, so I don't know if that works.

By them using spot beams, it avoids having to use an external TV antenna to pull in local channels. However an RV already has the antenna, so you can always connect the antenna feed into the antenna in jack on the reciever box and get local broadcast channels wherever you camp.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #37

Quote:
Your reciever is set to your account and zip code so it knows which locals to pull in for you. You are correct in that once you are out of the spot beam for your local channels, you lose them. I haven't tried pulling a different regions local channels, since I would have to re aim the dish, so I don't know if that works. By them using spot beams, it avoids having to use an external TV antenna to pull in local channels. However an RV already has the antenna, so you can always connect the antenna feed into the antenna in jack on the reciever box and get local broadcast channels wherever you camp.
If you are out of your spot beam for your at home locals you are out of luck as far as I know. You could call and ask for the locals where your at, but if your just taking a receiver from home, that might open up a can of worms. I know with Dish, they used to want a 2nd account unless that's changed. They do have certain accounts where they allow changing locals depending on your location.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #38

Quote:
Your reciever is set to your account and zip code so it knows which locals to pull in for you. You are correct in that once you are out of the spot beam for your local channels, you lose them. I haven't tried pulling a different regions local channels, since I would have to re aim the dish, so I don't know if that works.

By them using spot beams, it avoids having to use an external TV antenna to pull in local channels. However an RV already has the antenna, so you can always connect the antenna feed into the antenna in jack on the reciever box and get local broadcast channels wherever you camp.
Issue is the Roadster Omindirectional Antenna is pretty lousy. MH is parked next to a tall building, literally no significant local channels. Pretty frustrated with it.