Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 177
Question Missing Local Channels -- DirecTV

Maybe someone can help?

Got a Directv dish for just SD and brought the box from home. After much work, found the satellites. Here's the problem....we're only 60 miles away from home and I even used the zip code from home....no local channels at all.

Here are some factors:
1. We are in the next state over.
2. Setup at home is whole home network and dvr with HD. Have 4 boxes and this is the extra one that is SD. Channels are fine, just no local channels.
3. Best satellite strength was 95%

Any thoughts why no local channels?
__________________

Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
bmg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvnlife1973 View Post
Maybe someone can help?

Got a Directv dish for just SD and brought the box from home. After much work, found the satellites. Here's the problem....we're only 60 miles away from home and I even used the zip code from home....no local channels at all.

Here are some factors:
1. We are in the next state over.
2. Setup at home is whole home network and dvr with HD. Have 4 boxes and this is the extra one that is SD. Channels are fine, just no local channels.
3. Best satellite strength was 95%

Any thoughts why no local channels?
I started another thread and got the info I needed. Here's the site:

Satellite Finder / Dish Alignment Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

Put in your location and then use the drop box and scroll down to the Directv choices and it should give you the correct settings. The correct skew should pull in the local channels at 60 miles. What direction from your home are you located?
__________________

bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 177
We are northwest from home.

I got a simple 18 inch Directv dish, no tilt.

Thanks for the link. I've got a decent signal. What is skew? Is that like tilt? Not sure if the dish I bought has that? The instructions said there was no tilt to this dish? But I'm a total newbie to this so I probably have no idea what I'm talking about!
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
bmg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 181
You might be into the next local channel zone. We've gone 80 miles west from home and got the locals ok. But if we go east 30 miles we're into another local channel zone. Could be your problem. Double check your elevation and azimuth with the site I posted.
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: X
Posts: 2,781
If it has no tilt that suggests that it has one "horn" on the front (eg, can only receive one satellite).

My guess is that your local channels are on a different Sat (119?). You probably have a multi-horn dish at home.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
If it has no tilt that suggests that it has one "horn" on the front (eg, can only receive one satellite).

My guess is that your local channels are on a different Sat (119?). You probably have a multi-horn dish at home.
Yes, at home there are 3 round thingies, this one only has one.

Thanks for the insight!
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: X
Posts: 2,781
I don't know about Direct, but on Dish, there is a way to see (in "Info") what Sat a show is on. If you have that capability, you might check when you're home to see what Sat the locals are on, and same for the major channels. (You would need to look at the non-HD version of those stations.) That way you'd know if you were just outside the locals zone or if a different dish what have worked.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 37
I just switched to Direct TV for the house and I was talking with the installer about using one of my receivers in the trailer. He gave me a great deal on a used 18x20 LNB dish and recommended a SD box for the trailer as they are easier to align. He also told me that I would not get local channels with the setup. I tried it in the yard at home and it was easy to align and there were no local channels. I don't watch the local channels anyway so no problem for me.

Bruce
bwbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
DAISY BOYKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SUNSHINE STATE
Posts: 1,720
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I get my local----------------

I get my local channels up to about 250 miles away. Once you get the regular channels, rescan your receiver for the local channels. As stated above, the locals are very hard to get on a HD receiver. I also use the 18" X 20" oval dish, much easier to set up.
__________________
Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 3s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS 6.7L/SWD/6R140/BFT
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2018 60 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
I get my local channels up to about 250 miles away. Once you get the regular channels, rescan your receiver for the local channels. As stated above, the locals are very hard to get on a HD receiver. I also use the 18" X 20" oval dish, much easier to set up.
Will have to try that next time out. How do you do that? I use an SD receiver and as Bruce said, may just be out of luck with local channels.
__________________

Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.