Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #1
PT Crew Member - 10/2013

Cool Mobile wifi access

Hi all,

We are planning on retiring in a few months and starting a 6 month road trip. One of our road trip needs will be internet access in our TT (not at the campground lodge, etc). My husband and I don't watch TV (unless its the Seahawks ) and are not interested in a "cable/Dish" option unless it provides mobile wifi access. We live in a condo and have Comcast which is the only option available due to HOA rules.

We read all of our daily news via internet/wifi as well as doing research, etc. We both worked as developers and are considering starting a side business (but that's not decided yet). However, this does factor into our long-term planning in this area.

Right now we are using our phone (Verizon) as a hot spot. This has worked for the two weekends a month we go camping. However, we just took a two week vacation and blew through 8 gig of our 10 gig monthly plan. This is obviously not sustainable for our 6 month trip unless we upgrade to a 20 gig plan and monitor usage. However, this is not an option if we start up a side business as we will definitely blow through the 20 gig each month. (reducing our usage is not an option as we want to stay married...nuf said)

Do any of you know of a mobile cable plan that also provides unlimited wifi usage similar to home setups?

The only thing I have found in my research to-date is very expensive ($5-10K) satellite connection hardware from companies that either have or are about to go out of business.

I would love to hear what you all have done to solve this problem!

Thanks,
Debbie
debbieshaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:21 PM   #2

I know that T-Mobile offers unlimited data plans that are fairly economical. Might want to check them out. T-Mobile also works well/poorly depending upon where you are geographically --- so be careful. And they don't offer cable/TV.

I would think that Dish or DirecTV would be your best bets for both television and data.
bruceatlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #3
PT Crew Member - 10/2013

We want to stay with Verizon for the coverage.

I spent about 30 minutes searching around on the Dish web site and could NOT find any information about wifi access. Is anyone actually using Dish or DirecTV for internet access?
Old 08-29-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
PT Crew Member - 10/2013

I just called Dish - they do not provide RV internet access, only TV.

I called DirecTV and got the same (although the question was very confusing to them)

I called Verizon and they still do not offer an unlimited data plan, however, they would be happy to charge us double or triple for additional GB. :-/

I can't believe we are the first RVers to try and solve this problem...
Old 08-29-2015, 05:05 PM   #5

I have tried but never found a solution to internet on the go outside of Verizon and controlling data usage.

While other wireless carriers have unlimited data their coverage is not that great in many areas. verizon is the best by far nationwide but expensive and like said no unlimited plans.

I thought about Dish but they wont tell you it works in an RV.

So many have tried I just can't find one that comes close to data and speed even close to cable internet. Every seasonal camper I have talked to uses a combination of Verizon..local park wifi and free wifi in places like restaurants etc. I have been known to sit outside in my car on my laptop logged into say a Panera Bread.

Sucks.....
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:11 PM   #6

If you want to be able to get internet no matter where you roam, you need some form of internet satellite. No mobile (wireless) provider covers everywhere campers go if you don't stay in parks that provide a service. Check out companies/technologies like Hughesnet, INMARSAT, BGAN, RBGAN, iDirect for things that will work anywhere. I have used all of these and many other similar technologies all over the world to provide internet service. You will pay for what you are requesting. The good news there is it sounds like it would be a business expense and deductible (but talk to your local CPA first )
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:18 PM   #7

What's wrong with the Verizon "hot spot"? We use ours on all our trips as well as when we're home. Verizon offers several plans based on your usage although you do pay for the usage you signed up for on a monthly basis even if you don't use it all. Also, monthly overages are pretty expensive per GB.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:24 PM   #8
Always Learning

Go to eBay- there is quite the black market leading out unlimited hotspot plans for somewhere between $120 and $200/month.

We went fulltime 2 months ago and I'm a fulltime/9-5 web developer. I started with a 15gb AT&T shared data plan between 2 cell phones and a hotspot. I bumped that up to 20gb and still has 2gb of overage. Towards the second half of the month when I realized I was in a bad way, I got an 18gb Verizon hotspot plan. I didn't go over on it, but did max it out.

Right now I'm shopping for an unlimited plan on the "resale" market. Additionally I'm looking at wifi (so that I can make better use of campground wifi) and cellular boosters (so I can get better service in fringe areas).
Old 08-29-2015, 05:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
What's wrong with the Verizon "hot spot"? We use ours on all our trips as well as when we're home. Verizon offers several plans based on your usage although you do pay for the usage you signed up for on a monthly basis even if you don't use it all. Also, monthly overages are pretty expensive per GB.
Besides what the OP stated is wrong with it in their case, there is a LOT of white space still on this map and even some of the red is iffy (technical term).

Click image for larger version

Name:	verizon.png
Views:	207
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	87250

If you only camp in populated areas, that is one thing. If you plan on going austere or somewhat off the beaten path wireless just won't work.

PS T-Mobile didn't work in 95% of the places we camped the past two years, so I am a Verizon customer.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:29 PM   #10
PT Crew Member - 10/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
I'm looking for an unlimited plan, similar to what you would get with your home wifi. We will probably need 30gb per month -> $225 at current Verizon pricing, more if we start the business.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:31 PM   #11
PT Crew Member - 10/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Go to eBay- there is quite the black market leading out unlimited hotspot plans for somewhere between $120 and $200/month.
Interesting....I had not though about the resale/black market. Hmmmm...
Old 08-29-2015, 06:36 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbieshaver View Post
Interesting....I had not though about the resale/black market. Hmmmm...

Yep. I'm part of a Fulltime Families group. Apparently quite a few families use this. It's relatively low risk for you since you're not contracting directly with Verizon and thusly aren't directly violating their terms of service. But, if the person doesn't pay their bill, you may get cut off suddenly and can potentially be out of part of a month's fees with little to no recourse.

There are more expensive ways to get an unlimited plan to you, but it's a big hassle. More money up front but then less money monthly.

For more information, I suggest registering for:
http://www.rvmobileinternet.com

As well, I like having both AT&T and Verizon in the off chance that one gets better service than the other.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #13

https://fi.google.com/about/
Old 08-31-2015, 03:57 PM   #14

May I ask on what you use so much data? Are you streaming movies or
other video?
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:05 PM   #15
Always Learning

We stream next to no video or audio. I won't say that the occasional video doesn't get watched, but we greatly limit it.

For me, my work takes up a lot- there's a lot of screensharing and data transfers (actual database data, or pushes of software).

But overall, we're just using a LOT. I'm looking forward to getting some hardware to see some reports showing which device uses what amounts of data so that I have a "blame tool".
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:39 PM   #16

Why not consider a combination of companies? Surely you know where you will be going somewhat in advance. Then pick the best company for the area? Possibly a pay as you go hot spot? I do like Ependydan and my wife and I have two different carriers. Sometimes neither of us have service, but most of the time we both do and we can go back and fourth between data usage. Oh, and one benefit to Att is they roll over data each month. So you can build up a bit of data month to month.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:49 PM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kf4mnc View Post
Oh, and one benefit to Att is they roll over data each month. So you can build up a bit of data month to month.
Unless they changed; they only roll-over 1 month's worth to the next. Still better than nothing, but nothing like their minutes rollover of days past.

(Just wish I had data to rollover these days! )
Old 08-31-2015, 06:16 PM   #18

We installed an Ellipsis Jet Pack in the TT a few months ago as the hot spot signal on our cell phones wasn't strong enough for smooth Netflix or any streaming. Granted, it is the same data plan as your 10GB Verizon plan, but it is a much stronger signal.
I bought mine at Walmart for $49 rather than rent it from Verizon. The Verizon App keeps you up to date on data usage so you don't go over your allotted data, but there is no plan that I know off that is unlimited data. I'm not saying there isn't one, just that I not aware of any.
If you go to the Blue Ridge Parkway, don't expect any carrier but Verizon to have G3 or above or LTE service. Even then there are gaps where nothing works.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbieshaver View Post
Do any of you know of a mobile cable plan that also provides unlimited wifi usage similar to home setups?

Debbie
The hot news right now is that Huntsville Schools has opened unlimited plans up to everyone for $48/month supposedly on the Verizon network (based on the hardware that they're providing that is Verizon-only).

It's supposed to be legit per the Mobile Internet Aficionados.

OmniLynxâ„¢ Wireless Internet Program

If you sign up, please use me as a referral. After 7 referrals, I get a free month of service.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:23 PM   #20

ependydad,
Found this post for last month. Did you sign up for OmniLynx Wireless Intenet? If you did, how is it working out? Also just started following your adventure, very cool.
Thanks

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote