Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2016, 08:49 PM   #1

Mobile WiFi Hotspot Weigh-in...

We're in the Great Pacific Northwest and are searching for the best WiFi mobile coverage, access, plan and price in the area.

I'm looking at NETGEAR AirCard AC778AT (using Sprint LTE)for $87 and pay by the gig -vs- a T-Mobile 4G Hotspot (using T-Mobile LTE) for $40 and $30 per mo. w/o a contract.

Please tell me what you use and and what works best if you care to weigh in. Thanks for the forum and your kind attention!

Celeste
(Troubleshooting in Moses Lake, WA)
Celestep2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:54 AM   #2
Always Learning

Unfortunately, I can't talk about Sprint or T-Mobile. I fulltime in our camper and work a normal 9-5 (remotely/work from home) as a web developer. I need to be online.

I have a pair of hotspots - first (and what I use 99% of the time) is a Verizon Jetpack Mifi 6620L with an unlimited data plan behind of it. Second and rarely used is an AT&T Sierra Wireless Unite which is on my 15gb shared data plan (with our 3 phones also).

The biggest thing is look at coverage areas for where you want to go.

The next thing to look at is the range on the hotspots. I find their wifi network speed degrades after about 10-15 feet. You can see it up to 25-50' away, but it's super slow. Adding a real wireless router to the mix makes a huge difference in terms of performance.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:19 AM   #3
clr

I had Sprint mobile service for 20 years the service just kept getting worse and worse over time. The data service coverage was terrible lately. I went with the Verizon plan and have been very pleased with the service and the coverage. Of course you could just use your smart phone as the hot spot, I know another option.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:24 AM   #4

I use cricket on my nexus 4 phone and use the phone as a hotspot. 10 gigs a month for around $55.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:59 AM   #5

I use the version jet pack and have had good luck with it I pay 50 a month
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:07 AM   #6

My truck.

$10 Monthly

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:46 AM   #7

I use the following 4G modem/router with an outside directional antenna:

MBR1515A | LTE Gateways | Mobile Broadband | Home | NETGEAR

And an unlimited data plan through Verizon. Always get half decent reception - 10 to 50+ megs down depending on location. Enough so I can do my work and stream movies with no problem.

The bad thing is that Verizon no longer offers their unlimited plan.
TV 2013 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab
Middleburg Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:51 AM   #8

I have a little Verizon Jetpack. I have pay as I go. I have found that I can get cell and data plans most places unless we are in really remote places.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
My truck.

$10 Monthly
Doesn't the truck have to be running for the WiFi hotspot to function?

And is that $10/month unlimited data?

We just bought a Jeep that has a WiFi Hotspot and if you have figured out how to run your Hot Spot from your truck without running the engine or draining the battery, please share!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:01 PM   #10

T-Mobile

I use the T-Mobile hotspot, 10gigs for $40 plus unlimited streaming so we can watch all the netflix movies and shows without digging into our monthly allocation. On top of that, you can roll over un-used data up to 12 months.

Too good to be true? Sort of, TM doesn't have the coverage that AT&T and Verizon has but it's getting better. The signal at Wekiva Falls in Sorrento, FL was marginal but enough to stream Netflix. Good signal in Pigeon Forge, TN and at our seasonal site on the river in Cincinnati so we are happy with the service.

Bundling 2 phones with unlimited calls and text, 10G of data and the wifi hotspot runs $170 per month, no contract.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:30 PM   #11
2010 Forest River Solera

Used T-Mobile for years, then got our RV. Living in the Pacific Northwest - lots of places we wanted to dry camp and explore had ZERO coverage due to the limited T-Mobile LGE footprint in our geographical area. And we like being in the boonies.

Went to Verizon, use their JetPak and footprint is MUCH better. Still, miss the unlimited data from T-Mobile - but with no signal even unlimited data plan is limited by availability. Still struggling with how much band width to buy in anticipation of usage. Pretty hit-n-miss to estimate just right. Annoying. $$$ Prefer to have unlimited data plan.

Have wi-fi at home via a fiber optic connection - so we only use the phone's data plan when away from home, the JetPak is enough.

Ron, Debra & Foxy
2010 Forest River Solera - Diesel
Ron, Debra & Foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:03 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestep2k1 View Post
We're in the Great Pacific Northwest and are searching for the best WiFi mobile coverage, access, plan and price in the area.

I'm looking at NETGEAR AirCard AC778AT (using Sprint LTE)for $87 and pay by the gig -vs- a T-Mobile 4G Hotspot (using T-Mobile LTE) for $40 and $30 per mo. w/o a contract.

Please tell me what you use and and what works best if you care to weigh in. Thanks for the forum and your kind attention!

Celeste
(Troubleshooting in Moses Lake, WA)
Here in the Pacific Northwest, Verizon and (at a close second) AT&T will both far outperform Sprint as far as coverage. I have little knowledge of T-Mobile, but believe it to be somewhere between Verizon/AT&T and Sprint. Whatever carrier you choose, I would avoid contracts like the plague. Prices are trending downward and I would not want to be left behind on this.

I used to use a Verizon JetPak while camping but have switched my phone to Verizons prepaid side (it's cheaper than the month to month plans) and now use the phones built in hotspot instead.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:56 PM   #13

Check T Mobile's coverage map closely. I got T Mobile service through Consumer Cellular and called in about service in South Dakota and closest data service was 250 - 300 miles away. Consumer Cellular used Verizon as a back up on voice but not on data. They suggested I change over to AT&T still through Consumer Cellular. That is what I did they sent new sim cards ahead for us to West Yellowstone and service was better but not as good as Verizon which I had previously.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:07 PM   #14

I use Karma

I've been using Karma for about a year now. $99 for the hotspot, and $10/gig for data if purchased 10gig at a time. Sometimes they cut the price to $5/gig. The big difference with Karma is that the data NEVER expires. Just pay for what you use. I'm not a heavy data user, just check email and surf when I travel, and unfortunately, I don't get to travel too much. So, having the hotspot loaded with data and ready to go is a huge advantage. No recurring monthly charge even better...

When you carry your hotspot, other people can log in and use it as well (on their own data plan, not yours). Every time someone logs in through your hotspot, you get 100Meg data free. I carry it into public places, and get free data fairly often.

https://yourkarma.com/

Carl
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
My truck.

$10 Monthly

Through manufacturer?
Old 05-31-2016, 09:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
I have a little Verizon Jetpack. I have pay as I go. I have found that I can get cell and data plans most places unless we are in really remote places.
X2 Works great.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:04 PM   #17

External Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Unfortunately, I can't talk about Sprint or T-Mobile. I fulltime in our camper and work a normal 9-5 (remotely/work from home) as a web developer. I need to be online.

I have a pair of hotspots - first (and what I use 99% of the time) is a Verizon Jetpack Mifi 6620L with an unlimited data plan behind of it. Second and rarely used is an AT&T Sierra Wireless Unite which is on my 15gb shared data plan (with our 3 phones also).

The biggest thing is look at coverage areas for where you want to go.

The next thing to look at is the range on the hotspots. I find their wifi network speed degrades after about 10-15 feet. You can see it up to 25-50' away, but it's super slow. Adding a real wireless router to the mix makes a huge difference in terms of performance.
Have you an external antenna??
goyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:17 PM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyo View Post
Have you an external antenna??

For what? and maybe.

I have a weBoost 4G Drive-X for cellular boosting. I'm using the little 4" stubby antenna with a ground plane on my roof.

I also have the Elite antenna with my WifiRanger. I almost never even have it plugged in. I so rarely consume external wifi the it isn't worth it. Plus, campground wifi is beyond crappy and isn't meant/designed to support people working.

I do NOT have an antenna specially connected to my hotspot. I use the booster instead.

Here's a more full write up of my setup:
http://www.learntorv.com/2016/04/cel...rks-oh-my.html
Old 06-01-2016, 12:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
For what? and maybe.

I have a weBoost 4G Drive-X for cellular boosting. I'm using the little 4" stubby antenna with a ground plane on my roof.

I also have the Elite antenna with my WifiRanger. I almost never even have it plugged in. I so rarely consume external wifi the it isn't worth it. Plus, campground wifi is beyond crappy and isn't meant/designed to support people working.

I do NOT have an antenna specially connected to my hotspot. I use the booster instead.

Here's a more full write up of my setup:
Learn To RV: Cellular, wifi, and networks - OH MY!

תרגם

First of all thank you for the explanation
I need wifi is especially when I am on a trip and not parked in a camping, You thinks that is sufficient the Verizon Jetpack Mifi Lpara 6620 to my needs??
Thanks
goyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:44 AM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyo View Post
First of all thank you for the explanation
I need wifi is especially when I am on a trip and not parked in a camping, You thinks that is sufficient the Verizon Jetpack Mifi Lpara 6620 to my needs??
Thanks

For the most part, yes. That's the Jetpack that I have and use- it works well for Verizon service. And Verizon coverage is good most places.

That said, even with it- there have been a couple of times I've needed the booster. And there have been a couple of times that I've had to use campground wifi. And, there have been some places I haven't been able to stay at due to lack of service.

It's a delicate dance to *need* wifi when camping.