Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #1

Modified or Pure sine wave inverter?

If all I want to use a small inverter for is a LED TV and Directv receiver, can I get by without the more expensive pure sine wave inverter? I realize that certain electronic equipment (laptops, printers, microwaves) do not like modified sine wave, but I do not plan on using them.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #2

I'd also like to hear from those that have used both types of invertors on tv's/receivers. My understanding is that using conventional non-pure sine wave inverters may cause horizontal lines to appears on the screen as well as that annoying whining sound through audio.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #3

I got a sweet deal on an 1800 watt Xantrex modified sine waver inverter with a built in transfer switch. It was 1/4 the price of a similar pure sine so I went for it. Seems to work fine. Used it a few times for the kids to watch a movie. We just have the 23" tv that came with the trailer so its not like we use it for much or really pay attention to the picture quality, but it seems fine.

I also have a cheap 400W modified sine wave in the truck that I have powered the laptop and phone charger with. Also works fine.

I read all the reasons why pure sine is the way to go, but I just could justify the $$. My main goal was to get one with the automatic transfer switch and remote display. I got the inverter, 200 watts of solar panels, the charge controller, and all the other pieces and parts for about $650. Less than a generator, and works good for what we need. I really like having everything hardwired so that all of our 110V outlets switch to the inverter automatically.

And, in searching for a deal on an inverter, I found new or almost new ones go pretty quick on e-Bay. Worst case, if you tried the modified sine wave and your tv doesn't like it, you can probably get 75-80% of your investment back and buy a pure sine.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #4

This was exactly why I changed from a MSW to a PSW inverter. Although I didn't mind the weird line in the video near the bottom of the screen, I couldn't stand the audio whine. I couldn't understand what was being said over the whine.

Some electronics can handle the MSW better than others. It's almost a try it and see. I'd rather just spend the $ now on a PSW and be done with it.

As an aside, I had a temperature controlled heating pad that never worked right on the MSW inverter, but operates perfectly on the PSW.

Tags
inverter, modifications