Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2019, 04:12 AM   #1
Site Team

mounting wireless observation camera on TT

i got a very good deal, during Amazon Prime days, on a well reviewed backup/observation wireless camera system. has 7" monitor and have tested it quite a bit and the range is incredibly good.
so my 2016 TT is not pre-wired for a Furrion or any camera. so i'm thinking of tapping the center clearance light.
is there any clearance light mount adapter for a camera? of does anyone have a link to a video of tapping off of a clearance light for 12v power for the camera?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i got a very good deal, during Amazon Prime days, on a well reviewed backup/observation wireless camera system. has 7" monitor and have tested it quite a bit and the range is incredibly good.
so my 2016 TT is not pre-wired for a Furrion or any camera. so i'm thinking of tapping the center clearance light.
is there any clearance light mount adapter for a camera? of does anyone have a link to a video of tapping off of a clearance light for 12v power for the camera?
I think tapping into the clearance light is the way to go. Can't help with the video, however.

I'm inferring that you do not want to drill a hole in the TT to run the wiring to the camera. Know anyone with a 3-D printer? I suspect that engineering/printing an extended base for the clearance light base might not be too difficult.

Perhaps replacing the center light with one that has a different (deeper) base would work as well? THIS one looks like it's electronics are sealed inside a deep base with wire exit points on the top, bottom and each side. Just splice in, weather seal and run up to the camera.

HTH

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:02 AM   #3
DW's 401(k) Plan

Do you have a rear window on the TT? If so, have you thought of an interior mount hidden by the window valance and running a wire to a 12v source (lights work great)?
Just a thought....

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
Site Team

No rear window since it's a rear kitchen TT.
Yes, don't want to drill a hole. That's why I would prefer to use the middle overhead clearance light to tap into.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 07-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #5

Furrion makes a replacement clearance light that mounts their camera for the rear.
kpkenn4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:32 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkenn4242 View Post
Furrion makes a replacement clearance light that mounts their camera for the rear.
Do you have a link?
Old 07-25-2019, 12:54 PM   #7

https://furrion.com/collections/came...ation-system-2
Old 07-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #8

I recently installed a Furrion camera in our TT. It was prewired with the base already installed, but before I bought it, I googled the camera and found a "start from scratch" YouTube video that went step by step thru the process of connecting to the center clearance light for power and setting / securing the camera base. While it won't be the same, I think it will be helpful. Unfortunately, I don't have that link with me. I just googled "Furrion Back Up Camera Installation Video" and several options came up. It looked like there were a couple of videos detailing connecting to power differently.

Hope this helps!
kraftengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #9

You may need to call Furrion and see if the marker light will work with your camera. I just bought the marker light from them and it cost me $8.00 with free shipping. I already had the camera with a broken marker light.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:03 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
I don't need another camera, I already have one. I was hoping that there was an adapter plate to go behind the light and hang the camera from.
Plus $470 for that, is 4x what I paid for my whole system.
For that much money, I could pay a RV tech to do it and save $300.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:09 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftengr View Post
I recently installed a Furrion camera in our TT. It was prewired with the base already installed, but before I bought it, I googled the camera and found a "start from scratch" YouTube video that went step by step thru the process of connecting to the center clearance light for power and setting / securing the camera base. While it won't be the same, I think it will be helpful. Unfortunately, I don't have that link with me. I just googled "Furrion Back Up Camera Installation Video" and several options came up. It looked like there were a couple of videos detailing connecting to power differently.

Hope this helps!
All the ones I looked at had the Furrion prep already it they drilled into the back wall. I don't have the Furrion prep and I don't want to drill into the wall.
Do you have a link to someone tapping into the clearance light wiring, without drilling a hole.
I plan to mount the camera bracket to the metal corner trim, above the clearance light.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #12

Dan,
Your original post said "so my 2016 TT is not pre-wired for a Furrion" which led me to believe you bought a Furrion. I was showing you that Furrion makes marker lights that mount cameras. Maybe they make one that will mount yours - I do not know. I had to call Furrion tech support to get a part number and price for just a marker light for my 2016 Prime Time.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:28 PM   #13

I got one from Tadi Bros. I just cut a piece of tin to match the light, bolted the plate to the mount and used the same holes from the clearance. I did seal ir with eternabond.
c3prret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:54 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Dan,
Your original post said "so my 2016 TT is not pre-wired for a Furrion" which led me to believe you bought a Furrion. I was showing you that Furrion makes marker lights that mount cameras. Maybe they make one that will mount yours - I do not know. I had to call Furrion tech support to get a part number and price for just a marker light for my 2016 Prime Time.
Sorry, I didn't buy a Furrion because IMHO they are overpriced and since mine isn't pre-wired for one, it would be a waste of money.
I paid $119 for my single camera/7" monitor wireless setup.
I'm blown away at the reception distance it has, for that price. It also had great reviews on Amazon.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:55 PM   #15

Maybe these...

Quote:
Dan,

https://www.amazon.com/Haloview-Brac.../dp/B07LGLJWG2

https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-FRCBR.../dp/B01EX15YHK
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:37 PM   #16
Site Team

Larry, both of those are for Furrion setups. As I said before, my TT does NOT have the Furrion prep.
So neither of those will work.
I need something that is NOT brand-specific, like Furrion or Haloview.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #17

Quote:
I also added an after market camera. Uses Bluetooth to communicate with the monitor. One suggestion I recommend is to somehow temp mount it in the location you want to verify that signal truly reaches and is consistent to the monitor.
I ended up mounting mine to the rear bumper with powerful magnets so I can remove it when it’s not being used. I tapped into the 12v power for my rear levelers underneath and hid the wiring nicely. BUT the signal was inconsistent so I extended the antenna with coax cable and mounted it at the front of the trailer. No issues now. The camera truly makes is easier in traffic to see what’s behind you and lane changing.
simiHal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:28 PM   #18

I will work.

Quote:
I did what you described with my back up camera. My camera had double stick 3M tape, so that is how I mounted it on the camper. To run the wire, I groved out a small slot on the light mounting plate and spliced the marker light wiring. And then sealed it all up. My camper had a convenient shelf inside, where I put the wireless module.
Now when I want to use it, I just plug the monitor into the 12volt in the van, and turn on the running lights. Works great.
Timan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #19

Just do NOT mount the camera above the center light. Mount it below if you can. The guy who installed mine put it above the light and it is useless at night because I only see red glare. I tried blacking out the center light and found it to be useable now, only getting some slight red glare from the lights on either side.
rogerkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:33 PM   #20

Quote:
They do make side marker cam light combos.... Look into that cuz it might work for you.
Mizterusa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount