Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2016, 07:28 PM   #1

Multiple Tvs on one Satellite Box

Shortly I am taking delivery of a prime time Crusader 297 RSK. There will be two tvs inside and one outside. Normally there will only be two of us camping and I was wondering if it would be possible to run several TVs off of just one satellite box. All of the TVs would be on the same channel of course. That's fine. I just don't want to have to move the box from one TV to another depending upon where we might be. Any information about whether this is possible or how difficult it would be to run new cables I would appreciate.
5ERSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #2

I have a Crusader 295 and I use one satellite receiver for 3 tvs. I have the receiver set up for the tv in the living room and the bedroom and outdoor tvs are on whatever channel is on the only receiver. I am sure I could set up a second receiver but this setup works for us

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
thevosmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #3

I'm not sure if the wiring situation would work in the RV you are getting. I have a 60" 4K (all the bells and whistles) in my living room that is used mainly for Amazon Prime, Netflix and Apple TV. Since I rarely watch cable (satellite) in the living room I didn't want to waste money on another receiver. But, sometimes I wanted the cable stuff to show up on that TV.

I got an HDMI splitter from Fry's Electronics. I connected a short HDMI cable from the receiver to the splitter. Then, I connected HDMI cables to the kitchen TV (the receiver is in the kitchen/breakfast room) and another through a wall connection that terminates in the living room. Works great but all tuning has to be done from the kitchen.

Here's the Fry's link for the 4-HDMI output box: FRYS.comÂ*|Â*BYTECC
Old 02-01-2016, 09:40 PM   #4

depends how the unit is prewired i guess.

Not familiar with that particular unit, but if it is prewired with a common coax to all of the wall jacks, you can just use the coax out on the sat reciever and hook it to the "common" coax jack in the living room. presto, youve got the same channel on every tv.

If the living room tv isnt wired with a seperate jack to hook up the satellite/dvd/ect from the TV, just run a seperate (preferably HDMI) cable to that TV. If the unit is prewired for HDMI, Youll need a HDMI splitter to connect them all to the satellite reciever.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:56 PM   #5

I wired four televisions in my coach off one receiver. I used a HDMI repeater and an aftermarket RF add on for my remote. It works inside and outside the coach with no problems. I had to run my own 50 foot HDMI from the receiver in the back bedroom to the television in the front room and the first repeater I bought couldn't push the signal that far. I returned it to Amazon and order a 1x8 repeater. I only use half of the outputs but hey, if I want 8 televisions I am set. Maybe for a big football weekend like the Super Bowl or college championship. I can get you links of what I used if your interested. I think I was about $200 total for cables and everything expect the actual satellite receiver.
NF_Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #6

Yes, you can certainly do this. I did this with my DirecTV receiver with a HDMI Splitter (1 In 2 Out) from Amazon. It works perfectly fine, but as you stated, both TVs (inside and out) will be on the same channel. If you are watching TV outside, you'll have to go inside to change the channel. Very easy setup.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #7

The only problem you might have is the problem that I have. Or Windjammer is wired with the common coax but our DirecTV receiver no longer has a coax out. Just H DMI
redcloud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ERSTEVE View Post
Shortly I am taking delivery of a prime time Crusader 297 RSK. There will be two tvs inside and one outside. Normally there will only be two of us camping and I was wondering if it would be possible to run several TVs off of just one satellite box. All of the TVs would be on the same channel of course. That's fine. I just don't want to have to move the box from one TV to another depending upon where we might be. Any information about whether this is possible or how difficult it would be to run new cables I would appreciate.
I don't know what your wireing is but as for being able to watch 2 tv's on different channels you could get a reciever from dish like mine a watch 1 tv in the bedroom and another in lr and watch 2 different stations. It's easy 1st tv can be hdmi'd from reciever and cabled from rec. to the over air (turn off amp.) cable outlet then go to lr and cable that to over air outlet set tv to channel 60 and turn rec. using 2 different remotes to conrtol rec on each tv. dish could set it up for you to be easier on you. this is how mine is set up. I use a tri-pod with a 1000.2 dish and run 2 cables to trl. 1 for 2 tv's 1 for rear br tv. Sierra376BHOK
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #9

There is a great video on You Tube that shows how with wiring schematics for several senerios. It is titled something like "How I wired my RV for multiple receivers and satellite".
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcloud1 View Post
The only problem you might have is the problem that I have. Or Windjammer is wired with the common coax but our DirecTV receiver no longer has a coax out. Just H DMI

We had that issue and solved it by installing a video source selection switch for TV's. Sat. Bluray or antenna, even campground cable hook up to the box each tv can watch a different source or same channel on DirecTv. The video source selection box has inputs for coax and rca cables. I did add 2 signal amplifiers (1 per tv) to get crystal clear picture.

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5'7" Bed
Engine 5.7L Gear 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W Windjammer
Husky Centerline WDH
ov845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:44 PM   #11

Could you tell me what the name and model number of the selection switch is that you installed?
Old 02-02-2016, 09:59 PM   #12

I use a dual tuner receiver from Dish which is connected to a tripod mounted satellite. No additional cables needed to be ran. I set the remotes up to operate on UHF and can change the channel from anywhere. There are many sites available to explain the setup.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:44 AM   #13

I faced the exact same problem in my 2011 Georgetown 327DS when I discovered that it wasn't wired for HDMI.My first solution was to get a component (or video) to RF converter which was hooked into the coax distribution box that came with the rv. This gave me a TV signal on channel 4 on both of the tvs in the unit.

When we switched to a Genie box, I purchased an HDMI wireless system. The transmitter attaches to the Genie's HDMI cable and there's a receiver for each TV. The only issue we have is that the Genie box won't connect properly when powered up because it takes the TV too long to complete its power on cycle. The solution is to turn off then on the Genie box after the TV is powered up.

The Genie system can also be set up using mini Genie boxes at each TV. These connect (I believe) wirelessly to the master Genie box and would allow watching the same or different shows on both TVs. I don't know if they can be set to synchronize showing the same show on both TVs though.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Could you tell me what the name and model number of the selection switch is that you installed?

It's made by Quest. I got thru Camping World. Sorry I don't have the model number handy. Here's a picture of the newer version. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1454507152.646018.jpg
Views: 2612
Size:  98.1 KB

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Engine 5.7L Gear 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W WindJammer
Husky Centerline WDH
Old 02-03-2016, 06:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevosmans View Post
I have a Crusader 295 and I use one satellite receiver for 3 tvs. I have the receiver set up for the tv in the living room and the bedroom and outdoor tvs are on whatever channel is on the only receiver. I am sure I could set up a second receiver but this setup works for us

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
That's exactly what I was wanting to do. I highly doubt any of the TVs will ever need to be on a different channel. Besides it's my RV so what I say goes! Lol so you did not need anything extra to do this correct? The coach has the wiring already needed to do this? I don't have mine yet. It is in storage at the dealership until April. Just trying to do some pre planning. I'm also trying to figure out how wide of a TV I can mount in the bedroom without it hitting the sliding door for the hallway when it is all the way open. Of course I don't want the TV too hangover into the entrance way into the bathroom from the bedroom either. I may have to run down to the dealership and measure that wall space in the bedroom with the sliding door open so I can tell.
5ERSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #16

Does anybody know where i could get an hdmi to coax cable? I need to go from HDMI out on my DirecTV receiver to coax to feed the TV in the bedroom through the wiring that's already pre wired in the unit.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Does anybody know where i could get an hdmi to coax cable? I need to go from HDMI out on my DirecTV receiver to coax to feed the TV in the bedroom through the wiring that's already pre wired in the unit.
From what I have been reading on the subject the device you need to convert a digital HDMI signal to a analog coax signal are professional grade devices and are rather expensive. I have read that you can convert the signal in an affordable two stage hook up. Convert the HDMI signal to a composite signal and then connect that signal to a modulator to get the desired coax output. Amazon has the cable for less than $10.00 and the RF modulator for about $20.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:47 AM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Swm system

Is anyone using the DirecTV SWM HD system? I just recently upgraded my DirecTV system from standard to HD. DirecTV installed the Single wire SWM system. I have HD on my main TV and STD on the bed room. I will
be taking the HD receiver with me which connects to the TV via HDMI only.
Has any one installed this HD system in your RV. Did you run the coax from Power supply HD receiver through the coax plate installed in the RV to the SL3-LNB antenna?
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:05 AM   #19

Quote:

What is the box model number? Most have RCA jacks(yellow - video, red and white - audio). From there you can go thru the Quest video control or just use RF modulator. The satellite box itself has a built in digital to analog converter. There should be 3 output choices HDMI, Component w/digital audio and RCA.

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Engine 5.7L Gear 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W WindJammer
Husky Centerline WDH
Old 02-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Tested satisfactory

Just finished setting up my SWM DirecTV system, works great. Set it up in my driveway with the TV in the garage. You have to change the antenna
selection in the receiver. My portable dish is a SL-3 LNB SWM combo. My regular antenna for the house is a SL-5 SWM Combo. I eliminated the the
SWM 4 way splitter because I am only using one SWM receiver.

I now have TWO regular 3 LMB DirecTV antennas for sell that enables you to run STANDARD definition in your RV. I also have a spare LMB for sell.

These are stationary antennas that you set up on a tripod for your RV so you can use your home DirecTV STD definition receivers.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite