Old 03-31-2015, 09:38 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You description is not clear to me, but I think you are referring to the fan motor. Hold the shaft gently with a fliers than with the other hand, try moving the fans. The fan blade and squirrel cage should not move. They will sometimes work themselves loose and cause noise. Oiling the area you show, will most likely not help much as these motors usually have sealed bearings that do not need (or accept) oil. They need to be replaced if they fail.
I know about the sealed bearings but my motor has a felt washer to keep dirt out of the bearing area. The oil was put there to "wet" the dry seal in the photo. His AC looked old and my have an oil filler like my home oil furnace blower motor.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:16 PM   #12

I had the same thing happen to ours last year and found mud dabbers had made nests in the cage where the fan is housed. Took forever to get them out! Just a thought.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:22 PM   #13

I opened the AC from the inside of the RV as you can see from the pic and I didnt see a fan. I did see one mud dabber nest but it isnt effecting anything. I am not sure how to get to this other fan. Any advice? Also, if there are more mud dabber nests if I can find the other fan, do I need to worry about them coming out and stinging me?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inside air.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	72626  
Old 03-31-2015, 01:38 PM   #14

FTR As long as the motor bearing is not scorched too bad you can dissemble the motor, clean the shaft, clean the bearings with some solvent reoil and reassemble. Might get a season or two out of it.

The squirrel cage is inside the white Styrofoam box. I bet a mud dabber has made a nest in there.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:35 PM   #15

Mud dauber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8white;
I opened the AC from the inside of the RV as you can see from the pic and I didnt see a fan. I did see one mud dabber nest but it isnt effecting anything. I am not sure how to get to this other fan. Any advice? Also, if there are more mud dabber nests if I can find the other fan, do I need to worry about them coming out and stinging me?
Mud Daubers usually don't sting humans unless you pick on them. They won't attack like paper wasps or yellow jackets. They prey primarily on spiders leaving them paralyzed inside the mud cones for future meals.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:40 PM   #16

Thanks for the info. I just found out that a friend passed away so I wont be able to post the video until tomorrow. Im going to go down on the Gulf and have a few beers and cook some burgers in his honor. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2015, 09:26 PM   #17

I had same problem, Dirt Dobbers (Wasp) had built a nest in my AC on the turning blades and cages. It throws the turning elements off balance, hence the noise.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:38 PM   #18
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
From the op's post and the volume of noise emitting, those suckers must of made their nest out of granite!
Old 03-31-2015, 11:03 PM   #19

Bob

As a drag racer you must know what an unbalanced engine sounds like. Electric motors at 3600 RPM sound off the same.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:51 PM   #20
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyman View Post
As a drag racer you must know what an unbalanced engine sounds like. Electric motors at 3600 RPM sound off the same.
The only time I get an unbalanced condition, I just put it on the driver as I sent him off with a PERFECT motor!!