Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #1

Angry My Audio System on my new Berkshire

Just venting on this one. You would think that spending $175k on a new RV would give you an audio system worth more than $49.99. Yes that what I got with my new Berkshire 34'. The Itrak sound bar is the biggest piece of junk with the sound quality of a transistor radio. It has no sub woofer and it can be purchased on line for $49.99.
Really? Why would Forest River put such a terrible system is a great motor home.
I bought a highly rated Vizio sound bar with a sub woofer for $150 to replace this landfill junk. Who's idea at Forest River was this?
Just venting and wondering where else that they tried to save a few dollars on the Berkshire.
Tiki Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:36 AM   #2

they tried and did save on every turn . everything in the berkshire is no different then in the $15,000. TT as far as components go .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #3

to FR
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:59 AM   #4

Are you kidding that additional $100 would have raised the price another $5k. Laughing, but probably true.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #5

can't remember off the top of my head of the tv they use in our unit, but had it replaced under warranty last month, so the same tv, same size picture, didn't fit the bedroom cabinet door, so they had to make a piece of metal to cover the gap left by the smaller size tv, but they are both a 32"
Old 03-24-2016, 11:06 AM   #6

I guess its the same with all options.

I could care less, if there is even a television in the rig. I dont watch while in camping.
I wouldnt pay anything extra, if theres a " better " one.

Some want certain things, some dont.

Some are fine with the stock batteries. Some put $5k in lithium.

Kinda like when Jeep first came out with the diesel in the Grand Cherokee.
You could only get it in the highest trim. Later, you could in the lower ones.
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:16 AM   #7

well I like being outside when it is nice enough to be out, but when we got rained in for three day while we were at Swannanoa NC, we were glad to have one, anyway, we replace the one in the front of the motorhome with one from wallmart for 300.00 while on the road in Nebraska, this was the second tv of the same brand that went out,,, just sayin, I get what I paid for, right
Old 03-24-2016, 01:46 PM   #8

it really is the same in all RV's , cheapest = microwave , radio/entertainment center,tires,wheels, switches, construction materials,axles,faucets, the list goes on doesn't matter if you paid $15G or $350G
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki Joe View Post
Just venting on this one. You would think that spending $175k on a new RV would give you an audio system worth more than $49.99. Yes that what I got with my new Berkshire 34'. The Itrak sound bar is the biggest piece of junk with the sound quality of a transistor radio. It has no sub woofer and it can be purchased on line for $49.99.
Really? Why would Forest River put such a terrible system is a great motor home.
I bought a highly rated Vizio sound bar with a sub woofer for $150 to replace this landfill junk. Who's idea at Forest River was this?
Just venting and wondering where else that they tried to save a few

dollars on the Berkshire.

Feel your pain, spent over 200k on a Charleston. An speakers in ceiling cut out at half volume. Complete crap, think FR would be embrassed, what would it really take to use quality speakers.
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #10

I can tell you = $39.99 a pair. Just received them from Crutchfield for my Berkshire. Getting installed this weekend to replace the junk 2" ceiling speakers.
randyf74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyf74 View Post
I can tell you = $39.99 a pair. Just received them from Crutchfield for my Berkshire. Getting installed this weekend to replace the junk 2" ceiling speakers.

Audio distortion comes from lack of power.
Upgrading the speakers, without more power to control the voice coil, will only result in more distortion at moderate to high levels...

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 03-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyf74 View Post
Randy, the prior poster is wrong. The radio will sound much better with those new speakers. It sounds like you're having someone else install them? If they are recessed type speakers there is not enough room to recess them up in the ceiling. I have to use 2 Inch spacers to mount them on ceiling. I posted a how-to guide the Forum sometime back. I'll see if I can find it if you like?
Old 03-24-2016, 07:40 PM   #13

My Audio System on my new Berkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Randy, the prior poster is wrong. The radio will sound much better with those new speakers. It sounds like you're having someone else install them? If they are recessed type speakers there is not enough room to recess them up in the ceiling. I have to use 2 Inch spacers to mount them on ceiling. I posted a how-to guide the Forum sometime back. I'll see if I can find it if you like?

Ha...
What qualifies that opinion?

I have 10 years car audio/mobile electronics experience.

Although, you can't expect any low-mid range out of a 2" driver.

If anyone wants a qualified opinion , send me a pm.

I won't argue publicly anymore.

Keep smiling.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 03-24-2016, 08:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Audio distortion comes from lack of power.
Upgrading the speakers, without more power to control the voice coil, will only result in more distortion at moderate to high levels...

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Yep...this is audio 101. Any Audiophile knows that underpowered speakers cause more distortion.

Most people have under powered speakers...they go buy 400 watt speakers for a stereo that puts out 40 and wonder why it sounds like crap.

You want speakers to match the stereo output...and unlike what most people think you would get better sound from slightly overpowered speakers than way under powered. You will actually do more damage to a speaker from under powering it and turning up the volume....than you would from a speaker that was rated slightly less than the output of the stereo amp. Not saying you should overpower speakers at all but just a point.

The output of the stock audio systems are weak at best so you would be best to come fairly close to matching speakers to that.

Or not...I don't care....but my RV audio system sounds superior to most any RV out there and I did not spend wads of cash. Just replaced the system with another but better Rv system and matched the speakers with two pairs that were rated close to the stereo output.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #15

Here's the lay mans terms.

A civic has a 4 banger engine.
Imagine taking that 4 banger, and putting it in a 3500 truck. Underpowered.

The last full system I built was in my Mini Cooper.

The front 3 way Morel speakers, had a rating of 200 watts.
I was feeding them almost triple that.

I hope this qualifies my opinion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1458868500.581630.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	102731Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1458868527.414018.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	102732Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1458868549.831660.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	102733

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 03-24-2016, 08:18 PM   #16

and you guys think Randy bought 400 watt speakers for $39. Haha
Old 03-24-2016, 10:13 PM   #17

The Berkshire come with small 2 inch speakers. Replacing them for six inch speakers makes all the difference while driving down the road. No amp necessary needed. Many of us have done it including me. You can read the radio manual and match a new speaker it is not hard.

As for Kenny K. Last time you touted your expertise on this forum you were a diesel mechanic for the past 20 years. Now you are a audio expert for the past 10 years. which is it???
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:07 AM   #18

Sorry, I just did a quick reply regarding speakers. Apparently I should have put more info so not to offend any of them audiophiles. I received alot of tips from everyone on this forum so here goes: The ol' girl is receiving some system upgrades this winter to get the electronics out of 2008. My son and I installed a new Dash trim panel we got from Andy at FR. We then put in a Kenwood Dnx571tr (plus installed my CB for those long trips to keep Dad amused) the sound was much improved with the new head until but very tinny and factory still. I'm hoping the new speakers 30W 6 1/2" with the Retrosound rp0d6 surface mount modues were installing this weekend will make a big difference? Also ordered a new flat screen for the back bedroom and a set of Bose Companion III computer speakers so hopefully Pixar can drown out the Cummins on a long trip?
randyf74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:39 AM   #19

My Audio System on my new Berkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post

As for Kenny K. Last time you touted your expertise on this forum you were a diesel mechanic for the past 20 years. Now you are a audio expert for the past 10 years. which is it???

Hmmm.. I don't recall the 20 years automotive.

But there was a progression.
Since you are SO interested in my careers, I will tell you.
Try to keep up, old chap!

It all started back in high school.
I took every automotive program I could get my hands on.
Mobile electronics was getting big.
I enjoyed the electrical and diagnostic side of automotive tech.
I went to a school in Toronto for mobile electronics, and completed my MECP installer, First Class.
Came back to Manitoba, and worked at a few stereo shops, eventually opening my own car audio/ performance shop.
That didn't last as long as I would have had liked it to... But anyways.
I ran an install bay at the local visions electronics.
While still doing custom builds on the side.

My new bride at the time had just finished her bachelor of education.
She landed a job in another city, so we moved.
No longer the proper size for squeezing under dashes, I was offered a job at the dodge dealer.
Worked there for a bit, went to ford for a while, then decided I didn't want to work during the summer.
The DW is a teacher, why not me?
Now? I'm an automotive technology instructor at a local high school.

I work about 183 days a year, and I love it.

So yes... I do have experience in many areas.

There you go silver.....

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

Tags
berkshire