Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #1

My Concertone experience

I have a 2010 Flagstaff FKS BSS and I am having intermitent problems with my sorround sound. Once its on for several hours the left front speaker hisses and has static. I have taken it to the dealer twice but they cannot reproduce the problem. The dealer called Forest River and since the problem cannot be duplicated, nothing will be done until its broke. I've already wasted enough fuel going to the dealer dealing with this piece of junk. Looks like i will just replace with the Jenson everyone is recommending. I doubt if i will consider Forest River products in the future based on the response received on a known problem with a component.
kdbremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #2

Welcome to the forums. You are not alone with the stated problem. I have to wonder why you wouldn't buy another FR product based on the surround sound system after all was that your only consideration for purchasing in the first place is the stereo?

Many have found FR to be very accommodating even out of warranty on issues they didn't need to cover. If it were your business how would you run it? Would you just take the word of someone that a component didn't work without testing it or being able to confirm it was actually broke? I don't see FRs response to be any different than any other manufacturer concerning warranty work or repairs.

In the experience most here have had even the replacements go bad and aren't worth the time and effort opting to just replace altogether a lousy system with a name brand that does work and move one with life and enjoy their rigs.

Hope you can do the same.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #3

Even though we've only had our FR flagstaff 26rlss for just over a month, I'll echo NW's comments.

My zx75 concertone is basically a piece of crap. And I'm not happy such a unit is included in the 30,000 price we paid.

But, the trailer in general seems to be a nice quality unit. There are a few irritants like a fingerprint here or there in glue (IE: on the wall where no glue should be), but overall the unit is nicely put together with lots of ammenities at what seems a reasonable price point for the target market segment.

It's still too early to recommend one, but I can see giving it a thumbs up after a little more experience with it.

It's just too bad that FR chose to install concertone. It promises nice features, but fails to deliver on quality or longevity. Cheapens the whole experience, and that's a shame. So much of peoples relaxation and depressurization includes media these days and that's why we spend such large amounts of cash on our campers:

To depressurize and relax.

FR:

Dump your concertone brand or demand they pick up the quality!

It really "cheapens" the whole package....
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:31 PM   #4

There are several double din units available from a good retailer like Crutchfield that will do the same things, ie play DVD,CD,MP3 and offer great sound. It may not be 200 dollars but you get what you pay for. BTW welcome to the world of Concertone junk.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
What model Concertone do you have and is the problem consistent? Meaning every time you play it for a couple hours you get the problem?
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #6

Reply to Bob Fields

Bob,

I believe the unit i have is a zx700. The problem is intermittent. took to dealer who could not reproduce problem. Picked up the camper and camped overnight and within 4 hours the right souround speaker hisses and has static so bad you can hardly hear the other speakers. In the morning it did it again after only about an hour.
kdbremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #7
Owner - RVtronics

Did you double check the wiring and CONNECTIONS?

The wiring diagram is a label on the unit that is visible when you remove.
(781) 281-9440
Old 09-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #8
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbremer View Post
I have a 2010 Flagstaff FKS BSS and I am having intermitent problems with my sorround sound. Once its on for several hours the left front speaker hisses and has static. I have taken it to the dealer twice but they cannot reproduce the problem. The dealer called Forest River and since the problem cannot be duplicated, nothing will be done until its broke. I've already wasted enough fuel going to the dealer dealing with this piece of junk. Looks like i will just replace with the Jenson everyone is recommending. I doubt if i will consider Forest River products in the future based on the response received on a known problem with a component.
Your stating that you would not buy another FR product is a bit harsh although I understand you frustration with your problem. It seems more an issue with your dealer not wanting to swap out your unit to me. We had an issue with ours that the picture would jump every few seconds when the white levels in the scene being displayed were high. I talked to our service manager over the phone about it and they just said bring the unit in and we will replace it, went to the dealer yesterday and they took the old one and just gave me a new in box unit without even powering up the old one. Dealers have alot more power than they want you to believe and some are more willing than others to help you. If I were you I would contact FR yourself and explain the issue and see where it goes from there. Also if you happen to have access to a video camera try to make a small video when the issue happens so you could perhaps email it to FR if they needed to see or give it to the dealer.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fields View Post
Did you double check the wiring and CONNECTIONS?
I 2nd this suggestion. One of my inside speakers developed some static recently similar to what you're describing. Knowing that I rarely turn up the volume I decided to quickly check the connections to see what I'd find. Connections were fine but there was an extra screw, probably dropped during assembly, that was sitting inside of the speaker along with about a tablespoon of wood chips and dust. I can only assume the screw might've touched or crossed the connections. Anyhow after removing the screw and quickly vacuuming up what I could the speaker has returned to normal operation.
Good luck.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Lightbulb

Check my posts (#11 & #13) of this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tall-2880.html

Make sure the speakers are wired correctly to the unit. The wiring diagram should be on the back of the stereo.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #11

I installed the Jensen system as a replacement for my Conceranchor. Everything works good except the external speakers. The Jensen apparently has much more bass and the external speakers barely make any sound. If you dial the bass down you can hear the sound but it is not acceptable. I emailed Jensen about my problem with no response.

Morale of my story; be prepared to purchase some or all new speakers possibly.
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Arn
Arn

Your problem isn't a Forest River issue, it's a dealer issue. A good dealer will take your word for it & replace it at FOREST RIVER'S expense, not theirs. They tell FR it didn't work properly & throw it in the garbage. I am up to problem 21 with my Rockwood 2604 & the majority are caused by components installed in the FR units. As long as your dealer makes it right, it isn't a Forest River issue. Lean on your dealer!

Arn
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
Owner - RVtronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
I installed the Jensen system as a replacement for my Conceranchor. Everything works good except the external speakers. The Jensen apparently has much more bass and the external speakers barely make any sound. If you dial the bass down you can hear the sound but it is not acceptable. I emailed Jensen about my problem with no response.

Morale of my story; be prepared to purchase some or all new speakers possibly.
I don't understand your justification as to why your speakers don't work.

Did they work before?
Are they being over powered with bass or "barely making sound" as described above?
Did you pull the speakers to check their condition or wiring? You may want to double check your installation to ensure you maintained the correct polarity for each speaker.

No reply for Jensen? Weird!

Let me know how the speakers are...
(781) 281-9440