Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2015, 07:44 PM   #21

we have a 2013 3170DS too and The Magna Dyne has never worked properly. Thinking of trying to find a replacement system.
Timmy Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #22
Love My Sunseeker

Well, now it's working FINE!

I still think I have a problem somewhere that I need to check.

Also, I forgot about this, but in order to get DVD's to play through the ceiling speakers, you have to turn the volume down on the TV and turn the volume up on the MagnaDyne.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:48 PM   #23
Love My Sunseeker

Oh yeah. Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I printed them out to try when it acts up again, but I think the problem is elsewhere and pertains to my dead coach battery (which went dead during the time the body shop had it....)

Old 11-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #24

I recommend you do a software/firmware update from Magnadyne. The updates are free, maps cost.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:20 PM   #25

With regard to your coach battery,if any wet battery is discharged below 50%,it will never recharge to 100%, maybe 95%, but the reserve capacity will be compromised.. If is run to 0%,it will never recharge much above 50%. These numbers are for true deep cycle batterys. If its a starting battery the numbers will be significanty lower.Another thing to look at is the water level in the battery. If the plates are exposed and it was run down to 0%,you may as well just get a new one.If it is a sealed battery, it has a better chance of survival.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:10 AM   #26
Love My Sunseeker

HOw do I do that? Do I have to take anything apart? I read something in the owners manual about doing updates. Don't I need a small card, and where would I plug in the small card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
I recommend you do a software/firmware update from Magnadyne. The updates are free, maps cost.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:12 AM   #27
Love My Sunseeker

That's what I'm thinking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
With regard to your coach battery,if any wet battery is discharged below 50%,it will never recharge to 100%, maybe 95%, but the reserve capacity will be compromised.. If is run to 0%,it will never recharge much above 50%. These numbers are for true deep cycle batterys. If its a starting battery the numbers will be significanty lower.Another thing to look at is the water level in the battery. If the plates are exposed and it was run down to 0%,you may as well just get a new one.If it is a sealed battery, it has a better chance of survival.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:07 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
HOw do I do that? Do I have to take anything apart? I read something in the owners manual about doing updates. Don't I need a small card, and where would I plug in the small card?
On the front of the unit (older units card is in the back) there is a card slot.
Remove the card and and place it in a computer card slot (Windows only).
Go to this web site to update “http://www.igomyway.com/mapupdates-
and-extras”. All the information on how to do this is in the Magnadyne manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SD slot.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	93510  
Old 11-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #29

Quote:
I posted an incorrect link for updating your unit. Here is the correct link.
https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal

I would also call Magnadyne and they can help you with the firmware update.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #30

Just wondering, my mag has been working fine it is about three yrs old. Are the updates to the firmware worth it. By that will it operate any differently, more features or is it internal, if not why bother is my question. The old adage is, if it ain't broke......
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Oh yeah. Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I printed them out to try when it acts up again, but I think the problem is elsewhere and pertains to my dead coach battery (which went dead during the time the body shop had it....)
Have a timeline ready of what your mag has been acting like and call mag directly to talk with one of their teckies. It sure sounds like a software problem, caused by low or no voltage to the microsoft operating system controlling the radios features. They will direct you on whether the power supply issue can scramble the operating systems' code. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Just wondering, my mag has been working fine it is about three yrs old. Are the updates to the firmware worth it. By that will it operate any differently, more features or is it internal, if not why bother is my question. The old adage is, if it ain't broke......
If you are not having problems I would say leave it alone. Early on I was having little problems with the GPS time. I updated then and have had very good service from the unit since. As a matter of fact it has been much more accurate than my Garmin that is in the toad.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #33
Love My Sunseeker

Ok, the owner's manual says to "lightly press the SD card to release the card." Well, I have that slot you pointed out, but there is nothing to "press." I used a flashlight and I don't see anything in the slot!

Ok, I'm confused. The owner's manual acts like you are supposed to remove some pre-existing card that is already in the slot.

But the video says to put an EMPTY card in the slot.

HUH?

Old 11-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Ok, the owner's manual says to "lightly press the SD card to release the card." Well, I have that slot you pointed out, but there is nothing to "press." I used a flashlight and I don't see anything in the slot!

Ok, I'm confused. The owner's manual acts like you are supposed to remove some pre-existing card that is already in the slot.

But the video says to put an EMPTY card in the slot.

HUH?
If there is nothing in the slot I would think your GPS would not work at all.
Could you take a photo of the slot and post it here. The card is recessed in the slot and is difficult to see.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #35
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
If there is nothing in the slot I would think your GPS would not work at all.
Could you take a photo of the slot and post it here. The card is recessed in the slot and is difficult to see.
Ok, here is my slot (oh dear, that sounds X rated....). I tried to put a regular sized SD card in to see if I could "make the micro card click" and come out, nothing happened, except the regular sized SD card went all the way in. But the GPS still works!

Oh for everyone's benefit, I am going to get my coach batteries replaced, just not sure when. My RV is parked for awhile, not going to go anywhere. I'll make an appointment sometime in hopefully the next month to get those coach batteries changed and I'll update in this thread. I really think the issue is the coach batteries, just as trbomax said earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	93651  

Old 11-03-2015, 08:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Ok, here is my slot (oh dear, that sounds X rated....). I tried to put a regular sized SD card in to see if I could "make the micro card click" and come out, nothing happened, except the regular sized SD card went all the way in. But the GPS still works!

Oh for everyone's benefit, I am going to get my coach batteries replaced, just not sure when. My RV is parked for awhile, not going to go anywhere. I'll make an appointment sometime in hopefully the next month to get those coach batteries changed and I'll update in this thread. I really think the issue is the coach batteries, just as trbomax said earlier.
Does not look like the SD card is all the way in. You should be able to update the firmware using that card and the link I posted earlier.

I also think your batteries are contributing to the problem.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:08 PM   #37
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Does not look like the SD card is all the way in. You should be able to update the firmware using that card and the link I posted earlier.

OH! The SD card is NOT in the picture. I pulled it back out before I took the picture.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:55 AM   #38

It looks like something is in there.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #39
Love My Sunseeker

Ok, I found out why my battery went dead. It was VERY LOW on water. I was travelling all summer and I...... MEANT to check that water level. Ok, I checked once, looked ok, MEANT to check again.......

I added half a gallon of water! And I still could have used more but I ran out of distilled water.

Ok, I WILL get these batteries replaced. I think I will hold off on the software update until that is done. But I still don't think I have a "card" in that slot. I was able to insert an entire SD card with no problem.

I'll let you know when I get the batteries replaced. I still think this is connected to the MagnaDyne issue.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:22 PM   #40
Love My Sunseeker

Ok, update. I got my coach batteries replaced. Went to Les Schwab, which is a well respected battery and tire chain in the West. Guess what, I was TOLD I got "maintenance free" batteries! It looks like there is still a thingie I can lift up to add water, but I was told they are "maintenance free." I hope so!

I didn't know we could put "maintenance free" batteries in our coaches (engine maybe, but not the coach!).

The two batteries cost me $300.

Although the control panel was showing "Full charge" when I was plugged in, as soon as I unplugged the RV it went down to 75% (before I went to get the replacements). This tells you something.

All my appliances, including the MagnaDyne, my stabilizers, and my slideouts are working fine!

Now, my only issue is trying to figure out if I do or don't have a card in the "slot" to upgrade the firmware.