Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2015, 09:25 PM   #1
Love My Sunseeker

My MagnaDyne is all messed up!

I have a Sunseeker 2013 Model 3170. I recently had it in a body shop for a week to repair a stress crack under the front slide. The Magna Dyne was working before I brought it in, and there was no reason for the body shop to mess with my MagnaDyne.

The GPS is working, but I cannot get any sound from the radio. Ok, let's just say, when I turned the VOLUME up, all of a sudden I heard a "pounding" coming from under the dinete seat, and I didn't know there was a speaker under there, as I have a drawer under that dinette seat! But there was a POUNDING when I turned the volume up. Turn it down, no more pounding. but NO SOUND coming from the speakers in the driver and passenger entry door.

Ok, I went to the radio, fussed with the EQ button, got the grahpic equalizer up, and pressed and pressed and fussed, and finally got SOUND to come out of the CENTER speaker above the TV (and I'm playing the RADIO!) but still no sound coming from the speakers in the driver and passenger door.

Is there anything else I can do?

I am hoping the body shop people did not mess with my MagnaDyne.

I haven't tried to play a DVD yet. I will try that tomorrow.

Ok I'll mention this in case it had something to do with it. My RV had been at the body shop for 10 days. When I picked it up, my coach battery was completely dead! The body shop rep didn't have a clue why the coach battery was dead. No reason for it to be. On the other hand, I did have a small item plugged into the 12 volt outlet under the dinette. The item was a 12 volt USB adaptor. Nothing was plugged into the USB adaptor, but the adaptor was plugged into the 12 volt and it had a small light on it. Is it possible this TINY thing ran the battery down (because of the small light) and the battery running down is why my MagnaDyne is all messed up?

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:17 PM   #2
2012 Solera

Changed out my Magnadyne a couple years ago, but, as I remember, there is a "straightened paper clip" reset hole, I think in the lower right corner of the face of the unit. Had to use that several times on mine.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:17 PM   #3
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Changed out my Magnadyne a couple years ago, but, as I remember, there is a "straightened paper clip" reset hole, I think in the lower right corner of the face of the unit. Had to use that several times on mine.
I've already used that "ball point pen" hole a lot. I use it when the GPS loses memory. It seems to lose memory when you play a lot of CD's or play DVD's a lot.

Pressing the "ball point pen" reset hole didn't fix this issue......

Old 10-31-2015, 12:11 AM   #4

Some thoughts:

Did you try adjusting your balance and fade controls?

Perhaps the speaker wire connectors came loose during the repairs.

The body shop people may have been listening to your radio while they worked. Do you have speakers on the outside?

If they were listening to the radio then that could be one readon why your battery was dead. There may be other things that use power that are not usually noticed. TV's on standby. My 2015 Ford manual says to unplug all chargers when the car is not running to avoid a battery drain.

Perhaps they used your outside outlets as a power source but I think they only work when you are plugged in to 110V AC.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:56 AM   #5
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Some thoughts:

Did you try adjusting your balance and fade controls?
I'm going to try that again. I tried to do that when I had it in EQ mode, but I don't think I quite got that far.

Quote:
Perhaps the speaker wire connectors came loose during the repairs.
I hope not!

Quote:
The body shop people may have been listening to your radio while they worked. Do you have speakers on the outside?

If they were listening to the radio then that could be one readon why your battery was dead.
This thought crossed my mind. But all the radio stations were "reset" to static noise, even the stereo in the center of my RV under the middle TV.

Quote:
There may be other things that use power that are not usually noticed. TV's on standby. My 2015 Ford manual says to unplug all chargers when the car is not running to avoid a battery drain.
I had a small "12 volt USB adaptor" plugged into a 12 volt outlet under dinette. This small USB adaptor had a small light. Nothing was plugged into the USB adaptor, but it was still plugged into the 12 volt outlet. I'm wondering if that tiny thing ran down the battery.

Quote:
Perhaps they used your outside outlets as a power source but I think they only work when you are plugged in to 110V AC.
I don't think this was the situation. I don't have an outside speaker, but I sure didn't know there was a speaker under the dinette!

Old 10-31-2015, 08:11 AM   #6

If the repair shop won't fess up, assuming they had something to do with it, and barring a coincidence, don't waist anymore time on, what if this, what if that. Look into a good auto audio shop that does installations. They will be able to trouble shoot your issue way faster. Then, based on what you find out, you may have recourse against the repair shop, if in fact it was a related occurance. You would need documentation from the audio shop as what was the issue, if it ends up being related to procedures utilized to repair "stress cracks", whatever that means. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:53 AM   #7

House battery dead

DXSMac -
There are a couple of "parasitic" loads on the 12v system even when everything looks like it is turned off. The LP alarm and the Carbon Monoxide alarm draw a minute current along with the radio, etc. This current draw is enough to draw a battery down in a week to 10 days.
Herk and some others can chime in if I have missed anything.
Now, as to the Magnadyne, I do not have a clue, my 2006 Sunseeker did not come with that system.
Good luck.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
I'm going to try that again. I tried to do that when I had it in EQ mode, but I don't think I quite got that far.

I hope not!

This thought crossed my mind. But all the radio stations were "reset" to static noise, even the stereo in the center of my RV under the middle TV.

I had a small "12 volt USB adaptor" plugged into a 12 volt outlet under dinette. This small USB adaptor had a small light. Nothing was plugged into the USB adaptor, but it was still plugged into the 12 volt outlet. I'm wondering if that tiny thing ran down the battery.

I don't think this was the situation. I don't have an outside speaker, but I sure didn't know there was a speaker under the dinette!
I just remembered that my Magnadyne was making a similar noise one day as I walked by the RV. It sounded like someone was on the roof, once I determined that the roof was clear I was concerned that someone was in the RV. Nope. then I noticed that the screen on the radio was flashing along with the deep noise which sounded like it was coming from the ceiling although I don’t see speakers there. I think I only have dash speakers. Eventually got it to stop which may have happened after I plugged it into shore power.

Next day the radio worked fine after I started the engine.

These radios have quirks which I learned from the service manager at my RV dealer after mentioning the above to him. His dealership rents Sunseekers and he has received complaints about the radios. Others there did not know this.

Some of the quirks are:

What you described and what I experienced, probably the same thing.

The radio turning itself on randomly when no one is minor near the RV. I had this happen a few times.

Losing the preset stations. Twice for me.

Radio sometimes will turn on after starting the engine and other times will be nice and wait to be turned by a human. lost count on this.

Check to make sure your antenna is screwed on all the way and the threads are not dirty.

Tune in a strong station in your area.

Does your problem occur when plugged into shore power or with the engine running. These radios will act up when the house battery gets low. The radio will work with shore power or with the engine running.

Maybe a system reset will help. This is from the Magnadyne user manual for models M3-LCD and M4-LCD:

To reset
1. Press the button to reveal more setup features.
2. Type “5365” as the passcode then press the OK button.

3. The unit will reset the radio area and wallpaper to factory default settings.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:55 PM   #9

The speaker behind the dinette drawer is the sub woofer. It is against the out side wall. You should have an A/B switch in the side of the cabinet just above the kitchen sink. Try different positions on the switch to see if it makes a difference. Your Magnadyne is powered from the coach batteries if yours is like my 2014 R. With the battery switch off you should not have power to the radio (easy test). Make sure you batteries are charged then try the radio.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:12 PM   #10

If you have a ABC speaker selector switch, turn it to C position. B position turns cab speakers off. The A position, who knows.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:24 PM   #11

DSXmac,

I had the same issue with my 2014 3171ds. If the sub woofer under the seat is still making the thumping sound remove the 15 amp fuse in f7 in the battery control box. I was unable to remove mine before the amplifier burned up. Once this is removed (if the wiring was done by the same people as my 3017ds) the navi and radio will stop working but if you catch this in time you will save a costly repair and save the sub woofer and amp which is under the dinette seat. Probably a Jensen self powered sub woofer like the one installed in my MH. If you like I can walk you through what I did to fix this issue with my MH's navi and self powered sub woofer.

~onione
OniOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:23 PM   #12
Love My Sunseeker

Well guess what. The problem fixed itself! It is now working again!

So, I have come to the conclusion that when your COACH battery is drained and dead (as mine was after I got it from the body shop), it affects your MagnaDyne.

When I started the RV for a six hour drive today, my coach battery was only HALF charged. And the radio speakers in the dash would not work. It was like the sound was being forced through the Center speaker above my TV and through the sub woofer.

But I needed the GPS, so I ran it anyway. Well, the GPS gave me "error" messages every five minutes and I had to reboot (use a pen to push the hole) each time.

I got sick of re-booting, so I turned it OFF for an hour while I was driving. After the hour was up, I turned it on, and VOILA, all is working fine again!

So, if this happens again, the VERY FIRST THING on the checklist should be, CHECK YOUR COACH BATTERY!

Ok, now all I have to do is figure out why my "check engine" light is on..... when I had the engine serviced last week! But I'll address that in another forum.....

Old 10-31-2015, 11:32 PM   #13
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
if it ends up being related to procedures utilized to repair "stress cracks", whatever that means. Just sayin'
The stress cracks were on the outside of my RV near one of my slideouts. Should not have had any effect on the radio unless, as you say, they were using my radio during the 10 days they had it.....

Old 10-31-2015, 11:34 PM   #14
Love My Sunseeker

I remember on another thread, someone asked if using DVD's in the MagnaDyne ran the battery down. Well, as I now found out, the MagnaDyne operates off the COACH battery, not your ENGINE battery (which is what I think the person on that thread was concerned with...). As long as you are plugged into shore power, it won't run down your COACH battery. But, I have noticed, that if you play DVD's continuously, it will affect the MEMORY next time you try to run your GPS. Running DVD's continuously will hog a lot of memory and your GPS will give you error messages, which you clear by rebooting (poke a ball point pen or a paper clip in a little hole in front.....).

Old 11-01-2015, 06:35 AM   #15

2014 Solers R

After numerous issues with the Magadyne within first 6 months of ownership, some of which mentioned in this thread, I found it less stressful to switch it out for a different brand.

Not had a problem since.
kidagn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:38 AM   #16

Fat fingered....Solera not Solers....Duh

BTW

If anyone interested.. I am selling the Magadyne.... Cheap.
kidagn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #17
Love My Sunseeker

Well, now there is a NEW issue with my MagnaDyne. I am parked, everything off, I'm not using the DVD thing, but there is a "whirring" noise coming from it. It's like the sound it makes when there is a DVD in there playing. I just put a DVD in, DVD played fine, took DVD out, turned MagnaDyne OFF, still the whirring noise.

I think I will re-read the post from someone who said theirs came "on" at weird times....

Old 11-01-2015, 11:02 AM   #18
Love My Sunseeker

You are right about parasitic loads. I have a stereo in the center of my RV, it runs off the 12 volt. Not to mention all three of my TV's are 12 volt. And I had that USB "adaptor" plugged in, even though I wasn't using it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasnipe View Post
DXSMac -
There are a couple of "parasitic" loads on the 12v system even when everything looks like it is turned off. The LP alarm and the Carbon Monoxide alarm draw a minute current along with the radio, etc. This current draw is enough to draw a battery down in a week to 10 days.
Herk and some others can chime in if I have missed anything.
Now, as to the Magnadyne, I do not have a clue, my 2006 Sunseeker did not come with that system.
Good luck.

Chris in Virginia

Old 11-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #19
Love My Sunseeker

Well, guess what. After I've been parked and plugged in for 24 hours, my MagnaDyne is acting up AGAIN! I checked my coach battery, it appears to be "full charge" according to the lights.

I played a DVD in it earlier just for a couple scenes (to make sure it worked) and took the DVD out (this was when I was trying to figure out why it was making the "whirring" sound). Now it's acting up again, trying to play through the sub woofer, but this time it's not trying to play through my center channel speaker. (Just checked, center speaker was turned off....)

Ok, a friend of mine and I are looking at it, and we tried to play a DVD. The DVD played fine, but it wouldn't play through the ceiling speakers in the kitchen. I tries the A/B/C switch and nothing.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:13 PM   #20
Love My Sunseeker

Well, my friend and I figured out the source of the "whoosing" sound (sounded like there was a DVD in the thing when there wasn't...). I'm embarrassed. It was my digital tire pressure guage (which I have never used, someone gave it to me). It was making the whooshing sound.

BUT!!!! My speakers are STILL acting up AGAIN!

My friend has a theory that since my coach battery was worn down to dead, that perhaps it's currently charging/discharging even though I'm hooked up to power now. He thinks I need to have my coach batteries changed.

WHO KNOWS?!?!?!?!?

I think I will also go to an audio shop and have it checked out.

I can play a DVD ok, and the TV is working (except the sound won't go to my celing speakers in the kitchen, I think it's related to this issue....). But if I start the engine and try to run the radio, it acts like there is a DVD in the slot when there isn't (my friend's words, not mine....) and it won't run through the dashboard speakers.

Oy ve......... hate it when this happens......