Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2015, 04:27 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
Ok, update. I got my coach batteries replaced. Went to Les Schwab, which is a well respected battery and tire chain in the West. Guess what, I was TOLD I got "maintenance free" batteries! It looks like there is still a thingie I can lift up to add water, but I was told they are "maintenance free." I hope so!

I didn't know we could put "maintenance free" batteries in our coaches (engine maybe, but not the coach!).

The two batteries cost me $300.

Although the control panel was showing "Full charge" when I was plugged in, as soon as I unplugged the RV it went down to 75% (before I went to get the replacements). This tells you something.

All my appliances, including the MagnaDyne, my stabilizers, and my slideouts are working fine!

Now, my only issue is trying to figure out if I do or don't have a card in the "slot" to upgrade the firmware.
If you can place an SD card in the slot, then there is not one there now. When the card is in the slot and correctly installed, the outside end of the card is recessed slightly from the face of the radio. Here is a photo of mine with the card in place,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0202.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	93855  
Old 11-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #42

Yes, even "maintenance free" batteries have a finite life. It sounds like they lost their "capacity" to provide full voltage, thus the drop to 75% when unplugged. If you ever service the water in a battery, it is important to do so when they are fully charged. The fluid level is always at the highest point then. If you add when they are down, the plates will discharge the electrolyte they have absorbed once charged and the fluid will make a corrosive mess. Keep us posted about the card. Mine does not have one either.
Timmy Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #43
Love My Sunseeker

My previous batteries were NOT maintenance free. My CURRENT batteries ARE! But they are $130 a piece

Ok, I'll keep you all updated on the card. I definitely do NOT have a card in there.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #44
Love My Sunseeker

deleted, duplicate post.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #45
Love My Sunseeker

Ok, My model is the M4-LCD.

I don't have a card in the slot.

If you don't have a card in the slot, you can still update, but it's more cumbersome.

You have to install the Naviextras Toolbox on your computer or phone.

I did that.

Then, I connected an SD card to my computer to get the update. The Naviextras Toolbox kept saying I "didn't have my device connected."

So, further research says.....

In my manual, it says that I have to REMOVE the entire MagnaDyne panel.

Then, supposedly there is ANOTHER SD card in a "rear" slot. THAT is the card with the software on it. I don't have a card in the "front slot" as you do. I have to remove the MagnaDyne panel. You can't get an update until you register the EXACT card with Naviextras. And no way in **** am I removing that MagnaDyne myself.

Now, on the Naviextras website, there is a way you can register an SD card as a "mass storage" device and still get the updates. But, in the manual it says "see instructions with your device on how to do this." And, of course, the package with my SD card I used does not provide instructions on this. And when I googled, all I got was how to use "smartphones" as mass storage devices, not an actual SD card.

So, for me, it AIN'T as easy as you say it is.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #46
Love My Sunseeker

duplicate post.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #47

DSXMac,

Just updated our M4 a few months ago and similar issue are you using Windows 8?
I had to make sure that the SD card was not showing on the desktop. Once this was done the Naviextras Toolbox recognized the card.

~onione
OniOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #48

Quote:
Ok, My model is the M4-LCD.

Then, supposedly there is ANOTHER SD card in a "rear" slot. THAT is the card with the software on it. I don't have a card in the "front slot" as you do. I have to remove the MagnaDyne panel. You can't get an update until you register the EXACT card with Naviextras. And no way in **** am I removing that MagnaDyne myself.

Now, on the Naviextras website, there is a way you can register an SD card as a "mass storage" device and still get the updates. But, in the manual it says "see instructions with your device on how to do this." And, of course, the package with my SD card I used does not provide instructions on this. And when I googled, all I got was how to use "smartphones" as mass storage devices, not an actual SD card.

So, for me, it AIN'T as easy as you say it is.
If you have a card slot in the front, there will not be another slot on the back. On the newer models like mine and yours, all updates are done from the front SD card slot. The manual is out of date.

You should give Magnadyne a call and I'm sure they will help you out. Don't pull the radio; it is not necessary to do so.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:18 PM   #49

One thing I don't know is if the earlier Magnadynes had an SD slot on the front to use for music etc. and a reader on the back for updating. Mine on has the one on the front that can be used for updating and music etc. none of the back. Anyone with an older unit have the answer?

The non MBS Magnadynes are easy to remove with the 2 "U" shaped stiff wire tools that came with the unit.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:20 PM   #50
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniOne View Post
DSXMac,

Just updated our M4 a few months ago and similar issue are you using Windows 8?
I had to make sure that the SD card was not showing on the desktop. Once this was done the Naviextras Toolbox recognized the card.

~onione
I have Windows 8 and I don't have SD card on the desktop. Obviously I'm missing something.

Gotta call MangnaDyne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
One thing I don't know is if the earlier Magnadynes had an SD slot on the front to use for music etc. and a reader on the back for updating. Mine on has the one on the front that can be used for updating and music etc. none of the back. Anyone with an older unit have the answer?
Oh, my manual had a special INSERT telling me that I have the "rear" card. And that I have to pull it out. NO WAY!

Old 12-03-2015, 09:25 PM   #51
Love My Sunseeker

Well after I got the coach battery changed out, MagnaDyne is working fine. However, I still haven't contacted MagnaDyne about getting updates, because although I have a card slot, my directions say I have to pull the radio out and take the card out of the backside.

Someone posted contact info and stuff, I will do that one of these days and post..... just not high on the priority right now....

Old 12-04-2015, 06:05 AM   #52

Quote:
Well after I got the coach battery changed out, MagnaDyne is working fine. However, I still haven't contacted MagnaDyne about getting updates, because although I have a card slot, my directions say I have to pull the radio out and take the card out of the backside.

Someone posted contact info and stuff, I will do that one of these days and post..... just not high on the priority right now....
My instructions says my Mag. updates from the back, but it actually updates from the front. Mine is a 2014 model manufactured in Sep. 2013
Old 12-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #53
Love My Sunseeker

Mine is a 2013 model mfg in 2012. I had problems using the SD card in the slot. But I have noticed my "owners manual" seems to apply to a previous version, not the version I have....

Old 12-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #54

Quote:
Mine is a 2013 model mfg in 2012. I had problems using the SD card in the slot. But I have noticed my "owners manual" seems to apply to a previous version, not the version I have....
Sounds like the only way to really find out is to contact Mag.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #55
Love My Sunseeker

Yeah, yeah...... for those who have been following this thread with baited breath.... the reason I'm dragging my feet is that I fear getting put on HOLD for like.... FOR EVER... and then the person I finally get will tell me stuff that doesn't even work cuz they are reading off a script and won't really know the answer.......

Ok, I'll try to force myself to call them this week and get an answer for everyone else....

Old 12-05-2015, 10:40 PM   #56

Quote:
Yeah, yeah...... for those who have been following this thread with baited breath.... the reason I'm dragging my feet is that I fear getting put on HOLD for like.... FOR EVER... and then the person I finally get will tell me stuff that doesn't even work cuz they are reading off a script and won't really know the answer.......

Ok, I'll try to force myself to call them this week and get an answer for everyone else....
I am not saying this will work or that they will check their email but give it a try before you spend a good part of your life on the dreaded hold.

Support: support@magnadyne.com

Sales and Support Phone Numbers
Toll-free within the US: 800.638.3600

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #57
Love My Sunseeker

Thanks! Just sent off an email asking how to get updates. I hope they explain it clearly and don't just send a link with limited directions that assume knowledge I may not have..... I hate it when that happens....

Old 12-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #58

Call 'em. They have excellent customer service. I suggest if you're technically challenged, call 'em from the cockpit, they will walk you through any concerns, etc. One other suggestion, always list your questions prior to placing your call, that was you can tic off as your get the answers. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:17 AM   #59
Love My Sunseeker

Ok, for those following this thread, I FINALLY called. 800-638-3600. They are in California and start answering the phone at 8:00 AM. I called at 8:06 AM, got right in. Rep I talked to seemed to know what the issues were.

Ok, on MY model, you can't use any old SD card. I have the "rear" card, which means I have to pull the radio. Your unit (if you bought it new, or bought it used and the previous owners provided all the stuff) should come with two U shaped tools. I have those. They were in a bag of wires meant for my backup camera. They are in a separate little bag with a screw. The rep said don't worry about the screw, just use the U shaped tools to pull the radio. There are two holes on each side of the unit, I looked, yes, the holes are obvious. The rep said to push the two U's in NO MORE THAN AN INCH and you can wiggle the radio out and get the card and use the NaviExtras software.

Or the other option is to take it in to a professional car stereo place. The rep said to go to a professional car stereo place, not an RV dealer if you want to have the thing removed.

Ugh.

I'm afraid I will mess it up if I do it myself.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:44 PM   #60

Told you they are knowledgeable. Here are your options; the install in the MB dash cannot be removed by the usual tools provided due to the way it is held in place in the Sprinter dash. So, you can either seach "sprinter FR magnedyne" to read how others determined the best way to remove, or take it to a auto audio shop. Either way, print out what you find on that search to aide "whoever " ends up removing it. We'll assume you had all your outstanding questions answered.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote