Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2018, 09:27 PM   #1

MyRV OneControl Panel Amp Load

Was doing some multimeter testing on my fuses attempting to troubleshoot an exterior lighting issue. While doing so, I discovered that the MyRV panel is pulling 27mV across a 20 amp fuse. This equates to 8 Ah. Seems a bit high. Does anyone know if this is typical?
Daniellekristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniellekristopher View Post
Was doing some multimeter testing on my fuses attempting to troubleshoot an exterior lighting issue. While doing so, I discovered that the MyRV panel is pulling 27mV across a 20 amp fuse. This equates to 8 Ah. Seems a bit high. Does anyone know if this is typical?
Without knowing the exact resistance value of the fuse you are measuring a voltage drop across, there is no way to accurately calculate the current draw of the load. The rated amperage value of the fuse has no bearing on the calculation.

The most accurate way to determine the current draw is to remove the fuse and using the current function of the DMM measure the actual draw of the load by connecting the meter in place of the fuse. Be sure to set the DMM to DC amps mode and move the leads to the correct positions on the meter.
Most low cost meters will be inherently inaccurare at the low currents you will be finding.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:57 AM   #3

Your calculation is incorrect. If it was 8/Ah you’re battery would be dead in a few hours

Assuming the converter is on (13.5 Volts, with a 27Ma load that is only .365 Watts, (365mW)

Watts = Amps x Volts.

A more accurate way to check is to replace a fuse (just for a test) with a low ohmic value resistor. Measure the voltage drop across it.

Amp Hours

The Amp Hour rating tells you how much amperage is available when discharged evenly over a 20 hour period. The amp hour rating is cumulative, so in order to know how many constant amps the battery will output for 20 hours, you have to divide the amp hour rating by 20. Example: If a battery has an amp hour rating of 75, dividing by 20 = 3.75. Such a battery can carry a 3.75 amp load for 20 hours before dropping to 10.5 volts. (10.5 volts is the fully discharged level, at which point the battery needs to be recharged.) A battery with an amp hour rating of 55 will carry a 2.75 amp load for 20 hours before dropping to 10.5 volts.
Netcomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:01 PM   #4

It’s 27 mV (0.027 Volt) drop across a 20 Amp fuse. You can a use a fuse draw chart - mV/mA matrix.to determine that it’s 8 Ah
I did an true Amp draw test as well with a multimeter, and it’s 8 Amps.

My RR pulls almost 8 Amps per hour and my batteries are at 12.4V in the morning. I have a 450-Amp bank.
Daniellekristopher is offline   Reply With Quote