Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #1

Need audio output from TV to Genesis

Hello all. I am having another issue. This time it's with my DVD player. It's a genesis 2.0 and I can't figure this out. I can play the am/fm and DVD through the unit but my tv won't play through the unit on the overhead surround sound. I took the faceplate off and found that there was only one jack from the unit to the tv.
Any help would be helpful. I contacted the dealer about this problem and I was told by there service technician that they used to hook them up for surround sound but that they don't do this anymore. He said he couldn't help me. Kinda made me upset.
Please help.
Devi1Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I created a new thread for you since this could get pretty long.

The audio output of your TV needs to be routed to the audio inputs on your radio. How this is accomplished is totally dependent on your TV; NOT the Genesis.

Here are the phono (RCA) outputs on my Toshiba and they are routed to the AV1 inputs on my radio. Surround sound off the TV works great.

If you have a digital audio output like the TOLINK in the next photo, you will need a converter to convert the digital audio "mixed" signal back into analog so your Genesis can decode the surround sound signals and play them on your radio.

AGPtek - Digital to Analog Audio Converter - Black - SWITCHER EL20 C

will do the job in that case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1376.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	19005   Click image for larger version

Name:	_TOSLINK.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	19006  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #3

I have the konka tv that came with the trailer. It's a 2013 palomino puma 30KFB. It has a hdmi port but the genesis 2.0 doesn't have one. I have tried to wire up the tv to the genesis with a component RCA jacks, the one with red,blue,green,white and red, but no luck. I am confused at this point. Here is what the back of my tv and the back of my unit looks like.

Well I tried to paste the pictures with my phone but no go. I will have to try once I get a Internet connection later and post them.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #4

HDMI in most DVD systems is just one way, from the DVD to the TV. The "red,blue,green,white and red" your talking about is also like the HDMI in so far as it is one way from the DVD to the TV.

When watching regular TV in surround sound mode, the audio signal needs to go from the TV to the DVD/surround system. Like herks pic, you will need the red+white RCA cable from the audio "out" on the TV, to the red+white audio "in" on the back of the DVD player.

Like herk also said if you only have Digital Audio "out" on your TV you will need a converter. I would be surprised if that were the case...
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #5

Toshiba TV signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I created a new thread for you since this could get pretty long.

The audio output of your TV needs to be routed to the audio inputs on your radio. How this is accomplished is totally dependent on your TV; NOT the Genesis.

Here are the phono (RCA) outputs on my Toshiba and they are routed to the AV1 inputs on my radio. Surround sound off the TV works great.

If you have a digital audio output like the TOLINK in the next photo, you will need a converter to convert the digital audio "mixed" signal back into analog so your Genesis can decode the surround sound signals and play them on your radio.

AGPtek - Digital to Analog Audio Converter - Black - SWITCHER EL20 C

will do the job in that case.
Here's the back of my Toshiba 40" LCD furnished by FR. It must be a Sams club special, it has no audio outputs. Component, Composite and HDMI are there only. You can see where FR electronics people went int the chassis and tapped the speaker system for outputs to the DVD. It works but not for the backyard mechanic to connect. I guess the balum coil is to cut interference?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TV Connections.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	19023  
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #6

I tried the cables I had but no luck. I can hear the radio and the DVD player through the surround sound and I tried the tv but still no sound. I tried every combination that there was for the jacks on the back of the DVD player. I'm about ready to use it as a anchor for my kayak while fishing. I cannot figure this out.
I tried contacting the dealer but was told that they couldn't help due to them no longer hooking up surround sound on the tv. I will take a break and re-visit this later today before I break something. Time to have a beer and go fishing with my son. Any thoughts would be helpful and appreciative. I tried to look up the wiring diagram of my tv and DVD player but no luck. It's a konka 32 inch and the DVD is a genesis 2.0.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Here's the back of my Toshiba 40" LCD furnished by FR. It must be a Sams club special, it has no audio outputs. Component, Composite and HDMI are there only. You can see where FR electronics people went int the chassis and tapped the speaker system for outputs to the DVD. It works but not for the backyard mechanic to connect. I guess the balum coil is to cut interference?
Vince, I have to tell ya that that red/white cable looks like an output from the tv to the Genesis. Can you see (photo) what is written under those RCA sockets? Are you sure there is no HDMI connector on the back of your Genesis?
I thought they all had them. Should be recessed and in the lower left hand corner of the rear of the radio.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ZX-800 connections.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	19031  
Old 09-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devi1Dog View Post
I tried the cables I had but no luck. I can hear the radio and the DVD player through the surround sound and I tried the tv but still no sound. I tried every combination that there was for the jacks on the back of the DVD player. I'm about ready to use it as a anchor for my kayak while fishing. I cannot figure this out.
I tried contacting the dealer but was told that they couldn't help due to them no longer hooking up surround sound on the tv. I will take a break and re-visit this later today before I break something. Time to have a beer and go fishing with my son. Any thoughts would be helpful and appreciative. I tried to look up the wiring diagram of my tv and DVD player but no luck. It's a konka 32 inch and the DVD is a genesis 2.0.
I looked up the Konka 32", Chinese eh?, and anyway it has the same problem my Toshiba above has, no discreet audio outputs other than headphone. W/O HDMI you must find a way to feed the TV generated sound to the surround sound. Don't think head phone jack has enough power. Like I said FR had to make mods to the TV to get the audio, the video is easy its just the yellow to yellow as my set shows. Both have lots of inputs but you can't generate the sound you want without the old way of yellow, red white. Most manufac have dropped these connectiions in the past few years cause everyone is going HDMI. You can do it with the Konka by parralleling the speakers L, R. and out with RCA jacks. If you do better fuse them to prevent blowing the audio section of the TV.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Vince, hard to tell from your photo, but do you have a digital audio out port?
Old 09-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
Jack of All Trades

If the TV has a headphone jack, you can use that. All you need is a cable with the male jack plug on one end and RCA (female if you are connecting to an existing cable, or male if you are going directly to the audio/DVD unit) connector on the other end.

You will have to adjust the TV volume together sound level you want.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHuser View Post
If the TV has a headphone jack, you can use that. All you need is a cable with the male jack plug on one end and RCA (female if you are connecting to an existing cable, or male if you are going directly to the audio/DVD unit) connector on the other end.

You will have to adjust the TV volume together sound level you want.

Rick
Only problem I see with this is it would be a mono connection, not sure surround sound can be mfg. from monlaural. I've seen only stereo inputs converted to Dolby 5.1.
Devil Dog you can always plug in a ipod headphone to the jack and see if it is stero. I'd still be wondering if that small power supply can power the length of cable required and fire the amplifier for the system. There are stereo jacks to RCA dual connectors available at the Shack. Maybe good idea to check with a TV or stero shop to see if that headphone jack can handle the transmission if it turns out to be stereo. The specs on line indicate the Audio power is only 2W.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Vince, hard to tell from your photo, but do you have a digital audio out port?
Lou, unlike your Toshiba which came with audio out ports, mine did not. The R/W leads you see were added by FR or their sub contractor. My book does not show them. I did note 1-2 years ago they were a standard port on Toshiba. I couldn't figure what they did, it looks butchered up close, obvious modification. It works, I ain't complaining. This is what the op needs, discreet stereo connections with some power ability.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #13

Well the iPod works with USB, aux jack and with bluetooth. I can also call using the Bluetooth and it goes through surround sound. But the tv still no luck.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #14
Jack of All Trades

Most headphone jacks are stero.

The inputs on the audio/DVD unit are low level inputs, i.e., they normally need mw level inputs to drive the amplifier.

I have never had any problems driving the amp from either a speaker hookup or from a headphone jack. Usually the TV volume needs to be set very low.

By the way, the only way to get "true" 5.1 audio is via a digital connection, either optical or coaxial. Anything else is simulated, part of the signal is sent to the center and back speakers.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Lou, unlike your Toshiba which came with audio out ports, mine did not. The R/W leads you see were added by FR or their sub contractor. My book does not show them. I did note 1-2 years ago they were a standard port on Toshiba. I couldn't figure what they did, it looks butchered up close, obvious modification. It works, I ain't complaining. This is what the op needs, discreet stereo connections with some power ability.
If it was hacked, they should have gone for the line level outputs from the channel amplifiers rather than the speaker outputs if they were doing it right.

You may very well have line levels on those two wires. The static eliminator coil on your wires leads me to believe they just might be line level. If so, just make sure it goes to the audio input on your Genesis and select that input for audio when you watch TV.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #16

First off, the only time you would have HDMI "from" the TV "to" a device, is if that device can record HD video. HDMI is one way, like a street, signal goes one way "From" a device "To" a device. So to get sound "from" the TV "to" a device we need to look at something other than HDMI. The Genesis 2.0, I found the manual in the files section on this forum, it and it does not have HDMI anyway. It does have audio red+white RCA input. So now we need to find a source "from" the TV. If the TV does not have RCA audio out jacks, you could use a headset jack, if it has one of those.

Devi1Dog what is the model number on your Konka TV?
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post
First off, the only time you would have HDMI "from" the TV "to" a device, is if that device can record HD video. HDMI is one way, like a street, signal goes one way "From" a device "To" a device. So to get sound "from" the TV "to" a device we need to look at something other than HDMI. The Genesis 2.0, I found the manual in the files section on this forum, it and it does not have HDMI anyway. It does have audio red+white RCA input. So now we need to find a source "from" the TV. If the TV does not have RCA audio out jacks, you could use a headset jack, if it has one of those.

Devi1Dog what is the model number on your Konka TV?
Russ, I am sure you were referring to my post and I can see where I could have confused you (and possibly others) about my intent.

The OP stated there was no HDMI on his Genesis. I did not realize the 2.0 version of that sound system did not have the HDMI output on the back like the newer one. Since it is hidden and some installers are still using the yellow RCA to hook up the TV, I thought perhaps he did not know it was there.

My previous posts talk about how to move sound from the TV to the sound system.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devi1Dog View Post
Well the iPod works with USB, aux jack and with bluetooth. I can also call using the Bluetooth and it goes through surround sound. But the tv still no luck.
Devi1Dog, seems the Genesis 2 provides an input for Optical SPDIF audio input. Looks like the feed you need for surround sound. Unfortunately the TV they furnished doesn't have anything this sophisticated. Google that term to see is a newer form of Dolby, it appears to use optic cable or other means, either way the port is orange. I still think a TV shop can bring out the R L channels from your tv like mine pictured above, it works on yours using the AV1 R and W ports? Need to ask about that.

Seems the Genesis book at least on line is as complete as a commercial fishing net, full of holes.....
Old 09-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #19

Sounds to me that you need a "FIBER-OPTIC" audio cable to run between the 2 components- thats what I did and it works now.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:31 AM   #20

Road-king,
It's a konka model number is kk-y343a.