Old 09-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #1

Need help with TV antenna signal amplifier

Hello All,
We had a bad lightening storm last night and now I cannot watch TV with cable or antenna. I connected the TV directly from the park connection and thy TV worked. Running thru the coach, it does not work. I am trying to find the signal amplifier but no luck yet.
I have a 2011 Coachman Encounter 36 KS. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks.
Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 09-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

While I am not familiar with your coach, I am concerned you don't know where the source switch/antenna power supply plate is.

In the Winegard antenna system, this wall plate is used to route both cable and roof antenna sources to your TVs. In addition, when the roof is selected, it sends 12 volt power up the signal coax to the roof to power the over the air antenna amplifier in the white box attached to the wings.

Try looking close or behind your main TV. Some installations locate it inside a cabinet near the TV.

In either case, light ON is roof antenna and light OFF is cable.

Hope this helps. If you have something different let us know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG01912-20120826-1731.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	62368  
Attached Images

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #3

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1410178599.205275.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	703.9 KB
ID:	62372
Thanks,
Here is a picture of my switch. I took this plate off the wall, and the wires run up into the ceiling I think.
When I switch from cable to antenna, the light only comes on after 2 or 3 try's . When the light is on, I still have "no signal" on the TV.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

That does not look like a Winegard, but they all work in a similar manner.

The light means you have 12 volt power to the switch. I attached a diagram for the Winegard to show you how the "guts" are connected and it may be similar to yours (or not).

In the lightening storm you could have fried the power supply or the amp in the antenna (or both) (or neither).

If park cable is available, select CABLE and the light should be OFF. Using the TV scan for channels using the CABLE setting on your TV, (NOT AIR).

If cable is not available, you will need to troubleshoot using the roof antenna. Select "antenna" - LIGHT ON - and rotate the antenna (if yours rotates) to point the white "box" AT the transmission towers. Use a program like www.antennaweb.org or a phone app like TV TOWERS to locate the direction to point your antenna. (Antenna is like an airplane with VHF elements as the wings and the UHF antenna (inside the white box) as the cockpit. Your intention is to "fly to the towers."

If you are handy with a voltmeter, go up on the roof and remove the COAX from the antenna amp box and (with the green light on) measure for 12 volts DC between the COAX center copper wire and the wire ground shield (the threaded nut is OK).

If you have 12 volts there, make sure the antenna is pointed at the towers (clean any corrosion and reconnect) and go inside to scan again using AIR as the signal source.

If you use www.antennaweb.org to find your towers the computer screen will look like this (shots from our camp site at MacDill AFB Tampa, FL.

NOTE: the towers ARE NOT in the city! Pointing away from the towers will cause "no signal" errors due to the signals being digital and VERY directional these days.

NOTE: also there can be MANY towers in different directions and you may need to rotate the antenna to the correct heading for the station you want to watch. Your TV may also need to be "re-scanned" to get that particular station.

I normally point to the direction that has the most major network channels during setup and only move it if there is something on the "off" local channel I want to watch. I use TITANTV.com to get channel listings for my camping area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Winegard wall plate rear.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	62374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antennaweb Roadmap Wide angle.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	62375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antennaweb Satellite Wide angle.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	62376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antennaweb Satellite at Camper.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	62377  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:19 PM   #5

Thanks for all the info. I found the box behind the access panel in the
Storage area at the top front of the coach. The box did get cooked during the storm. KIB Electronics is sending me a new one. Meanwhile, I am bypassing the box with a coax connector to watch TV

Tags
antenna