Old 06-13-2016, 02:43 PM   #1

Need help with Winegard Carryout and DirecTV

Can any of you satellite TV gurus help me? I admit to being pretty clueless about all of this satellite antenna set-up stuff.

I have the original winegard carryout satellite and DirecTV at home. (I have successfully used the carryout in the past.) We recently added the genie at home with one wireless unit. The receiver in our bedroom stayed the same, but is hooked up somehow (I think) to the genie. It is an H24 model, which I understand to be compatible with the carryout.

I tried to take this (bedroom) receiver with me on our recent camping trip and couldn't get a signal. I'm waiting for Winegard to get back to me, but that's taking forever. I've been trying to read other threads about this. Am I correct in understanding that this separate receiver won't now work with the carryout because we have the genie at home? Can anyone tell me how to make it work without having to add a whole other receiver with the additional $7/month charge for a few camping trips every summer?

Thanks for any help.

Debby

Old 06-13-2016, 02:48 PM   #2

Genie operates by ONE main receiver.........and up to four "client" or "remote" receivers. The remotes do not have 'brains', they rely on the main receiver to be functional and in wireless range of the main receiver in order to operate.

and I do not think that the H24 will work as a remote genie client. I have an H24 I carry to camper and to my farm, but it works standalone. The Genie has to have the main receiver working.

FYI, my Genie remote is a model C41-700.

BUT........the winegard may work with all that, I am NOT SURE.......but it will be SD only, no HD with that satellite and any DirecTV receiver.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:58 PM   #3

Thanks BandJCarm for the reply. That's my understanding of the Genie, too, which is why I thought that H24 receiver would still work with the carryout. Unfortunately, it is not. Either that or something else is wrong somewhere. I've gone through all of the normal set-up, made sure I have a clear southern view, etc., etc. for all the standard trouble-shooting ideas.

I hate to have to call a DirecTV Tech out and pay them to figure out why the receiver and the satellite don't seem to be communicating when I'm guessing it might just be a set-up issue, but I have no idea what else to try to change.

So many people on this forum seem so knowledgeable about all of this that I thought maybe someone might be able to advise.

If you have any ideas on how to make it work, I'd appreciate hearing them. I'm still waiting on Winegard....

Wonder how long I'd have to wait if I was ordering something!

Debby
Old 06-13-2016, 03:11 PM   #4

I have genie for house and still have one old box for the trailer and it still works. You are hooking the power cord up to the carryout I am sure but had to ask.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #5

Thanks for the repy guyster. Yes, I do have the power cord connected, but it never hurts to ask about the obvious!

With the old receiver you're using, does it work also with the genie? I mean, can you watch shows that have been recorded through the DVR, etc.?

Debby
Old 06-13-2016, 03:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwalsh View Post
Thanks for the repy guyster. Yes, I do have the power cord connected, but it never hurts to ask about the obvious!

With the old receiver you're using, does it work also with the genie? I mean, can you watch shows that have been recorded through the DVR, etc.?

Debby
Do you mean while still connected at home? I have not tried it but I dont believe you can. But like I said I have not tried.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:23 PM   #7

The Genie family of receivers are not compatible with other older receivers.

BUT, you can for sure watch TV #1 via the Genie and TV#2 via the H24 (including watching any recordings that are on it, regardless of whether you have satellite signal or not), either or both........so long as both are connected physically to a properly aligned dish.

But the H24 is not going to communicate with the Genie Main like a Genie remote will.

If I'm misunderstanding your question, the fault is mine...........sorry.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:59 PM   #8

Thanks for that info. That says to me then that the H24 should work with the carryout satellite (even though it's not).

Still not sure why it's not working then.

Debby
Old 06-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #9

The Genie and Genie Go operates on a swm system and relies on the internet. If you are looking to watch recorded shows then I would recommend downloading it to your laptop and playing thru your tv. Reason for that is you can't always get a good internet connection. I have the Genie at home but have a HR24 on the trailer I'll record shows while I'm camping and watch them later. My dish doesn't support HD but I still get a crystal clear picture.

Happy Camping!

2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5'7" Bed
4 X 4 Engine 5.7L Hemi Gear 3.92
Airlift 1000
2015 2809W Windjammer (Diamond Package)
Husky Centerline WDH
Old 06-14-2016, 03:14 PM   #10

I had to order an H24 specifically for use in the trailer. Due to the Genie being HD and only being able to get SD off the winegard for direct.

However, I had issues getting it to work no matter where I positioned the winegard...it turned out that there was a coax loose in the back of the SAT jack...AND the coax to the H24 was stripped too long and had to be adjusted to make good contact. So be sure your cables and connections are good.

2017 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel
Bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winegard