Old 06-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #11
Site Team
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
KyDan, put a pair of fans on the back and it will cool the inside of the fridge better. For less than $20 too.
My refer is apparently factory set at 40.
Not adjustable.
IF it was 40 on hot days and 35 on cool days I would add fans.
Mine is 40 when it's frosty outside so it's not a cooling the
backside issue. It's a 40 degree non-adjustable thermister issue.
Fans are great but won't make every refer run cooler.

Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
Originally Posted by shark918v View Post
Q: I own a 2001 FR 1610 pop-up trailer. Can you provide me some ideas on how get the maximum cooling from the small Dometic refrigerator?????????

The refer just doesn't get very cold at all......
Previously had a 2000 Coleman Westlake pop-up; now have a 2014 FR A122 pop-up A-Frame. The refridgerators are quite a bit simpler than the larger models in the TTs, especially 10 years ago.

The Coleman had fixed cooling on 120V and 12V - no settings at all, just switches. The A-122 has adjustable 120V, but 12V is still fixed. Gas on both pop-ups has an adjustable gas valve, but no thermostat.

My procedure is to level, then plug in the camper the night (or maybe even 2 nights) before to run camper and fridge on AC. I always check the chimney after 30 min to make sure it's hot (fridge is working). Morning of or night before trip, load fridge with pre-cooled items (if unsure of plans, we just carry food in the minivan in coolers).

Disconnect shore power before hooking up minivan. When van is hooked up, switch to 12V power for fridge. On both campers, 12V cooling is pretty weak - enough to hold temp if fridge is kept closed while on the road, but not enough to cool further.

Turn off fridge BEFORE disconnecting minivan at camp site. Level and pop up camper. Then turn on gas and attempt to light fridge. Getting fridge to light at high altitudes (6,000 ft and above) is usually not easy. I have to purge all air by lighting stove burner, and holding down primer button for a full minute before trying to light. If the flame "pops", the burner is NOT lit, and I have to keep trying. The hand test on the chimney is my gold standard. If that is hot, I know the fridge is working.

Once the gas is burning, those babies will freeze stuff inside the fridge if left alone overnight. The first night, the gas is on or close to max. After that, I have to back off the gas to prevent freezing.

Many pop-up folks build an outer "duct" - with or without fan - around the burner and chimney to increase efficiency. And a small fan inside the fridge can help circulate the air.

just my experiences
Fred W

pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #13
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post

Number one rule is not to over pack the fridge.
I disagree. "Rule #1: Obey all rules!" -Barney Fife

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

2013 Roo 183
2012: 1042 Miles, 13 Nights camped
2013: 2772 Miles, 27 Nights camped

2014: 2259 Miles, 30 Nights camped
2015: 1644 Miles, 20 Nights camped
2016: 550 Miles, 11 Nights camped
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote