Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #1

Need to level to use fridge?

We are gearing up for camping season and I've looked in the factory manuals, but can't get an answer. Our Palomino has a Dometic fridge ( model DM2652LBFX) and I know you need to level it somewhat to use propane, but what about electric? I keep my TT stored in my driveway, which has a pretty good downhill slope. It's enough that I can't level it with the tongue jack. Will it cause damage to it if I run it out of level? I usually hook it up for a couple of days before we pull out in order to cool things down before we load the fridge. Our last TT had a residential unit and it wasn't a problem. Just wanted to make sure before I mess up. Thanks for the replies.
Stikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #2

Whether you use electric or gas, your fridge should be level in order to use. It doesn't necessarily have to be perfect... generally speaking if your camper is level for your comfort, it should be fine for the fridge too.

Here's a link to a good article that explains why

How Level Is Level Enough For Your RV Refrigerator?
Old 03-05-2017, 07:08 PM   #3

The level issue is the ammonia used to cool not what you are running the fridge on.
As I understand things it is the front to back that is important to keep the ammonia flowing, a little side to side should be ok.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
The level issue is the ammonia used to cool not what you are running the fridge on.
As I understand things it is the front to back that is important to keep the ammonia flowing, a little side to side should be ok.

Unless you have a rear kitchen model where the fridge is on the back wall. Then you must be level side to side......Ask me how I know.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Unless you have a rear kitchen model where the fridge is on the back wall. Then you must be level side to side......Ask me how I know.
Huuuummm!

I just looked at a SOB that had a rear kitchen with the fridge set in a corner at an angle..
Old 03-05-2017, 07:54 PM   #6

If you look at the tubes on the back of the cooling unit you will see that front to back is the most critical to keep the ammonia slowing so that it doesn't rock up. Myself I try to always get my rig level in all directions for the fridge and my comfort.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:07 PM   #7

I know it is optimum to have your rig level, but.... We have had overnight stays while still hooked up to the tow vehicle and have been pretty unlevel all kinds of ways and never had a problem with the fridge. So I'm thinking you have to be pretty unlevel for it to matter. Just my experience.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:55 PM   #8

Refrigerator level

More level is better --was not aware of the leveling issue so we used motorhome for a couple of years and several times just got it kinda close but after 2 years we got to replace the refrigerator!!!!
Mstrshop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikman View Post
We are gearing up for camping season and I've looked in the factory manuals, but can't get an answer. Our Palomino has a Dometic fridge ( model DM2652LBFX) and I know you need to level it somewhat to use propane, but what about electric? I keep my TT stored in my driveway, which has a pretty good downhill slope. It's enough that I can't level it with the tongue jack. Will it cause damage to it if I run it out of level? I usually hook it up for a couple of days before we pull out in order to cool things down before we load the fridge. Our last TT had a residential unit and it wasn't a problem. Just wanted to make sure before I mess up. Thanks for the replies.

where your reefer is mounted makes a difference which axis of yoru camper leveling is critical to not ruining your reefer. If it is located on a side wall, regardless of which side then the fore/aft leveling is critical. If it is in a partition that runs side to side, then side to side leveling is critical.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I know it is optimum to have your rig level, but.... We have had overnight stays while still hooked up to the tow vehicle and have been pretty unlevel all kinds of ways and never had a problem with the fridge. So I'm thinking you have to be pretty unlevel for it to matter. Just my experience.
The cooling system contains sodium chromate. Running it off-level causes the sodium chromate solution to become stranded in the pipe, where the heat causes it to crystalize. Over time (months?) it gradually blocks the pipe, causing the cooling system to fail.

RV Doctor
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:11 PM   #11

I have an electric tongue jack and leveling up front to back is not a problem. My driveway is VERY unlevel with the tongue having to be jacked WAYYYY up!
commishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #12

Great! Thanks for the info everyone!
Old 03-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntaylor View Post
The cooling system contains sodium chromate. Running it off-level causes the sodium chromate solution to become stranded in the pipe, where the heat causes it to crystalize. Over time (months?) it gradually blocks the pipe, causing the cooling system to fail.

RV Doctor
Yep, that nice article with pictures shows you have to be pretty off level, and apparently for an extended time, for any adverse affects. Overnight stops, or even a few days, that are not level wont hurt anything. Been doing it for a very long time over 5 rigs. But everybody has their own phobias, I know I have mine, but a off level fridge isn't one of them.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #14
clr

On my old unit I had an absorption type fridge so level was a concern. I also had a very unlevel drive way at the time (front to back) down slope to street. In my case I could almost get the unit level front to back with the front jacks (5th wheel) if so the fridge would cool down and work normally. If you did not level front to back the fridge would not work (cool). I had a small bubble type level attached to the bottom of the fridge. If the bubble was touching the line the fridge would work if not very close it would not work. It is always a bad idea work try and operate the fridge very off level for all the reasons you have already been told.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #15

too bad yours wouldn't work unless really level, mine does. Just spent a night on the way to Vegas for NASCAR in a dirt lot where we didn't unhitch. We were nose high a few inches and leaning pretty good to one side. Fridge temps are the same as when we are level. So either our definitions of off level are different or we have very different fridges. But it works for me, that's all I'm concerned with. Some folks are just pickier than others
Old 03-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #16

I am not one of the highly experienced users on this site, but my experience with my 5'r has been to put the fridge on propane when traveling. I recently towed from San Diego to Phoenix thru the mountains on I-8 (not level by any means) and when I arrived in Phoenix 8 hours later, the fridge was nice and cold with the foods inside. I then towed from Phoenix to SE Arizona and had the same results after extensive travel through hilly and sometimes mountainous conditions. After I had the 5'r leveled, I reverted back to electric and have had no issues at all with my Fridge.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #17

The off-level issue doesn't factor into things when towing - there is enough natural rolling to keep the working fluids sloshing around to where the crystallization won't be a problem. You have to be stationary and off-level to be a concern and the more off-level you are the quicker it would become a concern.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge