Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2019, 02:02 PM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Has anyone noticed that the OP never responded to a single question since the original post ???
OP hasn't even logged in since the original post.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:50 AM   #42

I'm sorry it has taken me a few days to get back to this thread... I have been having issues with wi-fi where I am currently staying. Thank you all for your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almcguire View Post
Absorption refers not operated will not damage the units. Some times a new coach will not sell for 3 to 5 years (ugly unit) and you turn it on and it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by almcguire View Post
The absorption refer is coated internally ( sodium chromate )when first tested at the factory. The only thing needed after setting for years would be cleaning the burner.
I feel better after almcguire's observations that it shouldn't hurt to leave the refer untested, so I will continue to use it as dry storage, and not worry about it longterm.

To JayArras, clicker1944 and ependydad: I'm a full-timer by necessity, that is to say, it's the cheapest option for housing that I have at the moment. I have to give up some comforts in order to survive on the road. When I first lived in this sort of frugal lifestyle, I was staying in a tent and living out of a Pontiac Vibe. I had no refrigeration, learned to drink water and soda at room temp, or left them floating in a mesh bag in a nearby brook to cool them off. I cooked oatmeal, canned veggies and soup over a campfire or with a propane stove. I'm a little better off now, pulling my Wolf Pup with a Jeep Cherokee. I eat out once a week, and use my microwave, instant pot when I have electricity, or stovetop for meals. I only cook what I can eat in one sitting (no leftovers to store), still drink water and soda at room temp, and otherwise eat shelf stable foods. The only things I really miss refrigerating are eggs, salad, butter, mayonnaise, jelly and other condiments, so I grab packets whenever possible, and gravitate toward restaurants with salad bars. I do carry a small cooler bag that I can fill with ice and keep things cold for a day or two, if necessary, but it's always more trouble than it's worth. My refrigerator holds oatmeal packets, rice, canned kidney, pinto, black and green beans, canned soups, crackers, macncheese, fruit cups, granola bars, nuts, dried fruits, dried meats, tuna salad kits, bottled water and snack cakes. seasonings and condiments are separated into small baggies. Hope that all makes sense, lol! I'm quite content without cold things, and happy that my refer stores so much I can live off-grid for a month or more.

Thank you again, and all the best to all of you!
Talegi
Talegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:22 AM   #43

All you need is 200w solar and you can turn on that refreg. You can still store stuff in refreg, only now it will be cold. 1 tank of gas should last over a month
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:27 AM   #44

Thanks for letting us know how you're doing. Seems as you've been through some tough times but you've learned to adapt and overcome. You just keep on doing what you're doing as you have a system that works for you. Best of health to you and hoping your life keeps improving as it seems to be getting a little better for you now.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:31 AM   #45
Trailer Park Supervisor

What TowPRO said about these things sipping propane is correct, they are quite efficient in that regard. But this,
Quote:
it shouldn't hurt to leave the refer untested
is not a good idea if it is still under warranty. At least confirm it works. I found out my new A/C didn't work the very first time I used it. Warranty replacement.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #46

As has been said numerous times. Not using your frig is up to you and yes it makes great storage but, the reasons that you are not using it are pure urban legends, and not likely.

Your have a better chance of getting struck by lightening. My Mom will not use candles (all her life) because one could burn the house down. Of course now that she is 87 that is probably a good thing.

Good Luck !!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #47
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talegi View Post
To JayArras, clicker1944 and ependydad: I'm a full-timer by necessity, that is to say, it's the cheapest option for housing that I have at the moment. I have to give up some comforts in order to survive on the road. ...Hope that all makes sense, lol! I'm quite content without cold things, and happy that my refer stores so much I can live off-grid for a month or more.

Talegi
WOW, Talegi! You should change your handle to Nomad, lol! That's quite a lifestyle you lead! God bless you.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #48

apparently this type of living is becoming popular in Bay area city's as people can't afford homes in the area.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
As has been said numerous times. Not using your frig is up to you and yes it makes great storage but, the reasons that you are not using it are pure urban legends, and not likely.

Your have a better chance of getting struck by lightening. My Mom will not use candles (all her life) because one could burn the house down. Of course now that she is 87 that is probably a good thing.

Good Luck !!

THIS^^^^^^^^
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:24 PM   #50

I have not tried mine out, yet. I keep the door open and I have a dehumidifier hanging on the fridge rack there. I have a small battery-operated fan that works to help cool the fridge off when ever it is to be used. The humidity here has been awful for quite some time, now. My E-Pro 19FD is winterized and just stored outside in my drive at present. Hoping to give it all a shakedown cruise once the cold snaps are done for the season. I'll fire it up then to see if it even works, ok.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #51

Wolf Pup TT Fridge

I also have a Wolf Pup toy-hauler and I use my fridge all the time. I kayak so I’m camping in the spring, summer and fall. I keep the fridge on propane, and it works great. The cabinet under the sink is great for dry food storage, and I installed shelves on the side of the cabinet the sink sits in and it’s plenty of storage.

You’re missing a huge convenience by not using your fridge.
mjwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:18 PM   #52

Glad you posted why you are full timing. it makes sense. I traded my Wolf Pup for a Jayco 5th wheel. I couldn't imagine full timing in my old Wolf Pup. I will say though, that Wolf Pup was built 100 times better than my Jayco Eagle.
gunslingertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:35 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
All you need is 200w solar and you can turn on that refreg. You can still store stuff in refreg, only now it will be cold. 1 tank of gas should last over a month
^^^^^^^^^^
What he said..... Talegi, Your explanation has changed my advice. The refrigerator uses very little propane and the limiting factor is the battery to ignite the propane. In fact, if all you're doing is using that battery to run the fridge, it's going to take some time to run the battery down.

If you're worried about the cost of the propane, you could pick up a bag of ice and put it in the refrigerator to help keep it colder longer so that the fridge doesn't turn on as often.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:38 AM   #54

Me to plus

I do what you do. Fq model is short on storage space. Not using the fridge means no condensation so no mold. I do have an Engel cooler that will run 36 hours on a group 27 battery. Perfect combination for me. The new pups have a full sized fridge. When I’m in one spot for a month or more I use the big fridge to save trips to the store.
Papadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #55

Checkmate

Quote:
B.I.L. has a 2006 Jayco that the Stove, Oven, Shower, Microwave...have never been used. His wife is under the belief that using them will lower the resale value. 13 year old TT...

If using it for a pantry and not a frig works for you....then just keep on doing what you're doing. Enjoy Life.

Might as well be tent camping. Using every device and convenience is why most folks buy an RV. But as has been said before, to each his own! 😜
checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:18 PM   #56

Quote:
Seems as you've been through some tough times but you've learned to adapt and overcome. Best of health to you and hoping your life keeps improving as it seems to be getting a little better for you now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
WOW, Talegi! You should change your handle to Nomad, lol! That's quite a lifestyle you lead! God bless you.
Thank you! I am doing much better now that I'm on disability... that was a 5+ year struggle, mostly spent with absolutely no income. It's easy to understand how Americans become homeless, once you see how long it takes to receive money from Social Security when needed. When I went before a judge the first time, I was denied because she determined that I couldn’t be disabled if I was "camping" (ie, living out of my car with a tent). I guess in her opinion, I should have been living under an overpass. Thankfully, the higher court sent me back before her, for the mistakes she had made in her determination... she approved me the second time, having caused me to live with nothing for 4 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslingertom View Post
Glad you posted why you are full timing. it makes sense. I traded my Wolf Pup for a Jayco 5th wheel. I couldn't imagine full timing in my old Wolf Pup. I will say though, that Wolf Pup was built 100 times better than my Jayco Eagle.
It's not the most luxurious unit, but it is holding up well. I have had to strengthen the bed frame and tweak some things here and there, but have to say that I'm happy with the WP overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
^^^^^^^^^^
What he said..... Talegi, Your explanation has changed my advice. The refrigerator uses very little propane and the limiting factor is the battery to ignite the propane. In fact, if all you're doing is using that battery to run the fridge, it's going to take some time to run the battery down.
I am feeling more confident about trying it, thanks to TowPro and Reverse. I have two batteries, and have found that they last very well, even camping off-grid for a week. My tow vehicle charges them right up again on traveling days, and I’ve even run the Jeep off-grid to boost them with no trouble. I like the solar idea, but haven’t found a clearcut answer as to what to purchase that will work with the proprietary (Furrion) solar plug our FR’s come with. I’ve also found refilling propane to be easy and cheap at Tractor Supply Company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
What TowPRO said about these things sipping propane is correct, they are quite efficient in that regard. But this, is not a good idea if it is still under warranty. At least confirm it works. I found out my new A/C didn't work the very first time I used it. Warranty replacement.
I appreciate this sentiment, and would have to work directly with the manufacturer of the appliance if it didn’t work correctly. Having my tt in for warranty work is prohibitive for a full-timer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post

Bless your mother for her sage advice. One of my dear friends left a candle burning in the bathroom. She figured it was fine since I was home, sleeping (in recovery due to a vertigo attack the night before). Thankfully, I woke from a dream of hearing a crackling fire, though upon waking could hear nothing due to my hearing impairment. I eventually discovered the bathroom in full blaze, and was able to call for help and vacate the home. I won't burn candles ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwkayaker View Post
I also have a Wolf Pup toy-hauler and I use my fridge all the time. The cabinet under the sink is great for dry food storage, and I installed shelves on the side of the cabinet the sink sits in and it’s plenty of storage.
You’ve got me thinking about using my storage areas a bit better. Since I’m currently staying on my Dad’s homestead, it’d be a good Father/Daughter project.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #57
Dahagen

The most important use of my refer is to keep ice cubes ready for happy hour.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:52 AM   #58

Re solar that furrion plug is only proprietary because they reverse the polarity so you buy their crap. Use alligator clips on your battery terminals. Cheapest quickest is $150 bucks at Harbor freight. I’ve had one set of their panels on a sailboat in salt water for ten years. Fixed panels are nice but portable panels can let you keep the rid in the shade and panels can chase the sun. $400 bucks for a sportsman propane generator and I’m off grid as long as needed.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papadave View Post
Use alligator clips on your battery terminals. Fixed panels are nice but portable panels can let you keep the rig in the shade and panels can chase the sun.
This is great advice, thank you. I've been eyeing the Harbor Freight panels for months, but didn't know how to attach to power. How long are the cables from the panels?
Old 11-21-2019, 01:02 PM   #60

The latest version has built in stands for each panel and a 4 into 1 cable to a control box which has clips for the battery. Comes with a nice led light set too. Warning. If you reverse polarity by accident the control box is toast. Lots of cable provided easy to add if you need too. Thin wire. Low amps. The panels store nicely in the front storage compartment.

Tags
refrigerator