Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2019, 12:24 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
Never use my refrigerator

I've been fulltiming in my Wolf Pup TT since April of this year. During that time, I have never turned on the refrigerator, preferring instead to use it to store dry goods. I have read many things about refrigerators that make using mine just not worth it... having to keep it level, draining batteries and propane while boondocking, and even random fires.

That having been said, is there any reason why I should ever turn it on? A friend of mine suggested it might be a good idea, but he didn't really have a reason why. Another friend suggested it's not good for the refrigerator. I don't see anything wrong with using it as a cupboard, and welcome your comments.
__________________

Talegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:32 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 475
It's a sealed system with no moving parts. And a good way to keep food sealed from air and critters. Should you ever plan to use it, you may want to test run on propane first.
__________________

myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:05 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talegi View Post
That having been said, is there any reason why I should ever turn it on? .
Not really. Makes a great cupboard to store any food that might attract 'critters.' Keeps the odor from open packages from attracting flies.

There might be an argument for testing it occasionally, but since you're never going to use it... why bother.
__________________
Happy Camping!

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:24 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 4,874
If you plan on keeping your RV indefinitely, and don't want to use your fridge due to fears of improbable worst case scenarios, then use it as a storage.
You paid for it, use it as you see fit!
But realize if you sell it and the fridge doesn't work due to damage or non-usage from using it as storage, then it's going to cost you. Or it might work fine and you have no worries.
Just like life, you make decisions and deal with the outcome.
As far as the 'problems' you mentioned, 2way fridges use very little propane and battery, are very dependable, and rarely catch fire. If you can walk in your RV without falling over, then it's level enough for the fridge. They are successfully used in thousands of RVs.
But again, it's your RV, use or don't use it as you want. I have no idea why it matters what the rest of us think.
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:33 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 4,589
B.I.L. has a 2006 Jayco that the Stove, Oven, Shower, Microwave...have never been used. His wife is under the belief that using them will lower the resale value. 13 year old TT...

If using it for a pantry and not a frig works for you....then just keep on doing what you're doing. Enjoy Life.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:53 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dayton Ohio
Posts: 1,104
Any electric/mechanical items like, gas flow valves, motors etc. will likely fail if not used for a few years. A/C likely a year would do it in.

Then again maybe not.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #7
Kasual Kamper
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Fairfield County CT
Posts: 1,075
Just curious... Do you not have a need for refrigeration? How do you keep items that need to be kept cold, cold?
__________________
Current: 2013 Flagstaff MicroLite 21DS
Past: 2000 Fleetwood Mallard 19N
TV: 2013 Nissan Pathfinder SL 4x4
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Any electric/mechanical items like, gas flow valves, motors etc. will likely fail if not used for a few years. A/C likely a year would do it in.

Then again maybe not.
Where on earth did you come across that mis-information.
__________________

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 126
Was thinking the very same thing about what do you do with items that need to be kept cold?
clicker1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
D W
Senior Member
 
D W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ALASKA (World's Biggest Campground)
Posts: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
Where on earth did you come across that mis-information.
Believe it or not, it's the simple truth. Take one of you vehicles and leave it sit for a year without use and see what you get. Lifters collapse, valves rust, seals dry out, windings in starter/alternator corrode, rotors/drums rust, calipers freeze, tires dry rot. The list goes on.
__________________
'04 K3500 Silverado LS with LS3 Connect & Cruise- with Intimidator SSI PKG- Reprogrammed 4L80E
2016 Salem 27RKSS
1984 CHEV SCOTTSDALE K20 2GCGK24J0E1XXXXXX (Chevrolet Legends-Class of 2019)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Believe it or not, it's the simple truth. Take one of you vehicles and leave it sit for a year without use and see what you get. Lifters collapse, valves rust, seals dry out, windings in starter/alternator corrode, rotors/drums rust, calipers freeze, tires dry rot. The list goes on.
Son and I just took his 1987 BMW out for drive in September. Been sitting in his garage since 2014. Tossed in a battery, few gallons of gas, and drove around for 45 minutes. If OP doesn't want to use his frig....he doesn't have to use his frig.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:32 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Believe it or not, it's the simple truth. Take one of you vehicles and leave it sit for a year without use and see what you get. Lifters collapse, valves rust, seals dry out, windings in starter/alternator corrode, rotors/drums rust, calipers freeze, tires dry rot. The list goes on.


I'm glad I don't have to park my vehicles where you park yours.
__________________

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:36 PM   #13
llr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 915
I can't imagine not using the fridge but I don't see any problem with not using it.

Since it is sealed there could be possible mold issues depending on what is stored and how long. If you use a fridge part of the time you don't want to leave the door closed when not using it.
__________________
TT 2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS Classic Ultra lite
TV 2014 Silverado 2500 HD
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 11,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post


I'm glad I don't have to park my vehicles where you park yours.
Me too.
I have equipment that sits for a year (and more) without use.
When I do fire it up and use it, it works just fine.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=53
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Dayton Ohio
Posts: 1,104
I was the maintenance guy who had to answer these types of questions.

Always will remember the young man from the building that shut down production for 18 months.

He had refused to allow the maintenance guys to come in and exercise stuff. Did not want the cost. Just sat in his office on the hill.

Well, he called security because someone stole $10,000 worth of Freon from his big chiller.

I had to explain it to him that Freon is really bad about finding a way to leak out of seals.

No, no one came in and stole his Freon. Engineering 1011, God has a sense of humor.

Letting stuff that is supposed to move sit can be hard on it.

Yep. Sometimes you get lucky. 1 year maybe. 5, not so much.

I assume you know why car defrosters now use the ac for that.

Local used car guy has a 2000 Porsche 911 for sale with 7,000 miles on it. “Original tires” even! That is the definition of a money pit.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:19 PM   #16
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 19,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Just curious... Do you not have a need for refrigeration? How do you keep items that need to be kept cold, cold?
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicker1944 View Post
Was thinking the very same thing about what do you do with items that need to be kept cold?
X3, I also want to know! Especially with fulltiming.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 11,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
I was the maintenance guy who had to answer these types of questions.

Always will remember the young man from the building that shut down production for 18 months.

He had refused to allow the maintenance guys to come in and exercise stuff. Did not want the cost. Just sat in his office on the hill.

Well, he called security because someone stole $10,000 worth of Freon from his big chiller.

I had to explain it to him that Freon is really bad about finding a way to leak out of seals.

No, no one came in and stole his Freon. Engineering 1011, God has a sense of humor.

Letting stuff that is supposed to move sit can be hard on it.

Yep. Sometimes you get lucky. 1 year maybe. 5, not so much.

I assume you know why car defrosters now use the ac for that.

Local used car guy has a 2000 Porsche 911 for sale with 7,000 miles on it. “Original tires” even! That is the definition of a money pit.
I do.
It's to utilize the A/C system to get rid of moisture.
If you believe it is used for any other reason, you are wrong.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=53
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #18
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 8,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
.....snip.....
Well, he called security because someone stole $10,000 worth of Freon from his big chiller.

I had to explain it to him that Freon is really bad about finding a way to leak out of seals.
The air-conditioner in an automobile or even an industrial chiller has seals on the compressor because the compressor has external motivation- gas/diesel engine or electric motor.
These seals may do a better job of sealing if they get exercise once in a while to keep them oiled. There is oil in the freon in the system.

The compressor in a roof AC in an RV is a sealed system. The motor and compressor are sealed in a steel case with no seal to need lubrication.
Not even close to the same thing..
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2017 Nissan Titan 5.6L King cab 4wd
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 73
Refri

I am sorry but that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard in all the years I have had an RV have never had a refrigerator do any of that
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:53 PM   #20
Tundra 2014
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 383
Frig

Uses almost no propane. I ran my frig. for 45 days on 1 tank. I would suggest using it occasionally, just to keep the ammonia moving to prevent crystals forming. This is the same reason you want to keep it w/in 5% level. The frigs are much better about this than they were 20 years ago. Your choice.
__________________

Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
refrigerator

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 AM.


×