Old 02-28-2015, 09:05 PM   #1

New owner- question re: furnace operation. Only shore power on blower?

Hey all- this is a fantastic resource, and I hope to help others over time. For now, I hope I have a basic question regarding the operation of the Suburban NT-16SE furnace on our Rockwood 1950.

The blower fan only works when plugged into shore power. Is it supposed to also operate via 12v? I know our battery has charge because it runs the power lift control. What am I missing here? (It puts out plenty of heat... Just this question re: the fan)

Thanks in advance for any insights!

-mike

Old 02-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #2

Yes, the furnace should work on your 12v system by utilizing the house batteries.
1) are your other 12v systems working off the battery. Sometimes the transfer switch is defective and your 12v system only operates off the converter/inverter. That's the first thing I'd check out.

2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:27 PM   #3

Thank you, RSchleder. Yes, the other systems seem fine on 12v. Is it possible I have a blown fuse, or would that affect operation even on shore power?
Old 02-28-2015, 09:30 PM   #4

I'd look in the fuse panel, everything should be marked from the factory. I would have thought that the entire furnace would be on one 20A fuse but who knows.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #5

In most cases the furnace blower always is 12 volts. On shore power the convertor supplies the power. When on battery it provides the 12 volts. If it was a fuse problem it would not run on shore power.

While on battery try turning off all 12 volt items and then try the furnace. Low voltage can affect it.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
In most cases the furnace blower always is 12 volts. On shore power the convertor supplies the power. When on battery it provides the 12 volts. If it was a fuse problem it would not run on shore power.

While on battery try turning off all 12 volt items and then try the furnace. Low voltage can affect it.
^^^^^^^ This, the Suburban NT-16SE does ONLY work on 12v DC power. Like Evereddie says, it gets that 12V through the convertor when on Shore Power. It only has one 12v power circuit coming to it so if the furnace works properly on shore power your problem would have to be prior to the fuse that is in that circuit. Check your actual 12v system voltage when trying to run the furnace. Just because it has "Enough" power to run a jack doesn't mean it is adequate.

Here's the link to the manual for your furnace unit.
http://www.brwholesale.com/itemNotes...ice_Manual.pdf
2012 Primetime Lacrosse 318 BHS
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #7

12 volt furnace problem

I have a 2012 Rockwood 8280 and the furnace only operates off shore power. Is this a Rockwood problem?
Old 03-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #8

The furnace should always be capable of running off of the battery. That is the point of it being 12 volts and not 110 volts. If it doesn't, something is wrong. Most likely bad battery, bad connection, or maybe the charger is not charging the battery properly.

While on battery turn on a few lights (maybe 3) and measure your voltage. Measure it at the battery and then go to the 12 volt distribution panel and see what it is there. You should have no lower than 11.5 volts (hopefully closer to 12 volts) and both places should be roughly the same. If the panel reads lower than the battery you have a bad connection. If you measure the 12 volts while on shore power it should be close to 12.5 volts at both places. This is off the top of my head and your results will vary slightly.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #9

You all are awesome. Thanks so much. I'll check back in this weekend with results.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
....If you measure the 12 volts while on shore power it should be close to 12.5 volts at both places. This is off the top of my head and your results will vary slightly.
I made a typo. While on shore power the charger voltage at the battery should read around 13.5 volts, not 12.5.

Tags
furnace, power