Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2017, 08:25 PM   #1

New TV--no coaxial input

So, I bought a new TV for the camper, and there's no coaxial cable input--just RCA and HDMI inputs. I guess this is where the TV industry is going. So what are people doing to be able to hook newer TVs into park cable? Is there a converter? I see converters with HDMI inputs and coax outputs, but not coax input to HDMI output. Suggestions?
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #2

The last Samsung I bought came with an adapter for cable to RCA
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
So, I bought a new TV for the camper, and there's no coaxial cable input--just RCA and HDMI inputs. I guess this is where the TV industry is going. So what are people doing to be able to hook newer TVs into park cable? Is there a converter? I see converters with HDMI inputs and coax outputs, but not coax input to HDMI output. Suggestions?
The problem you're facing is that the cable signal via coax is analog, while HDMI is digital. You can't simply use an adapter, you need something that can actively process the signal:

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/coax-to-hdmi-cable.html

The only thing I'm aware of that can actively convert coax analog to HDMI digital is your typical cable converter box from the cable company. That, however, will do you no good when connecting to a park's cable system because that's on their cable, not yours.

The coax to RCA adapter idea would work but the results would be disappointing, because RCA inputs are also analog...so say goodbye to good picture quality. It would look like SD TV.

In short, you bought the wrong TV. ;-)

That's because there are still plenty of TVs available with coaxial input to the TV's digital tuner, thanks to the current wave of cord-cutters opting for OTA TV in their homes coupled with streaming video services. For example, here's the 32" Roku TV I recently put in my TT, which includes a coax input:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia...?skuId=4822001

I have my OTA antenna/cable feed going to the TV via 75-ohm coax, and my satellite antenna going to an HDMI input via the DISH Network receiver. Switching between them is just a matter of changing the TV's input on the remote. If I have internet connectivity from available WiFi signal or by tethering the TV via WiFi to my phone, I also have streaming services like YouTube, Netflix, Hulu and TuneIn, or thousands of other available Roku apps. It's very light (under 10 lb) thanks to a plastic screen cover instead of glass, which should make it less susceptible to cracking while the TT bounces down the road. The coax input is labeled "RF antenna input" in the product specs. I'm very pleased with mine, and at $149 with the current $30 price drop (I paid $179) I may well now buy a second one for the bedroom in the TT.

There's also a 24" version available if you prefer that size, or if you don't need the Roku smart TV features you can buy the 32" version with one less HDMI input for $119:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia...?skuId=5326401

Days camped in 2017: 53 (so far!)
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:35 PM   #4

That's why it has RCA inputs so you can use cable, you can use the hdmi for all you other connections like campground cable boxes, disc players, laptops, etc.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
That's why it has RCA inputs so you can use cable, you can use the hdmi for all you other connections like campground cable boxes, disc players, laptops, etc.
As indicated above, RCA inputs deliver only a crappy analog video signal, plus you'd still need a 75-ohm coax-to-RCA adapter in order to use them. And although you reference "disc players," I feel compelled to point out that HDMI for a DVD player is overkill as unlike a Blu-ray, a DVD outputs only SD video resolution.

One additional note to the OP: it depends on what type of RCA input we're talking about here. If it's a component video connection (i.e., separate RCA jacks for red, green and blue) you can actually get 1080i resolution from that -- that's the next best thing to HDMI. I'd be surprised if you have component video inputs and HDMI on that TV as they're nearly redundant. Instead, if it's the single yellow video RCA input that I suspect it is, the best video signal you can possibly get through that is 480i -- i.e., old-fashioned SD video:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-gNKCwD...nnections.html

You'll therefore be watching SD content on an HDTV. That's not really what you bought the TV for, is it?

I maintain my original response: buy a TV with the correct inputs for the job. There's no point in trying to force a square peg into a round hole. Grab your receipt and return that one you bought.

Days camped in 2017: 53 (so far!)
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:57 PM   #6

There are several "black boxes" out there that will covert coax to hdmi. The problem is that they are fairly expensive. Here's one example:
https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsear...converter.html
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #7

Thanks for all the advice. The DW purchased the TV based on its size, and didn't really consider the input options. This is what happens when you're married to the Amazon queen... We don't really use the park cable much anymore--she's usually plugging her iPad into the TV to watch Netflix or Hulu, so it's not THAT big of a deal. I was just surprised when I went to hook up the TV.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:23 PM   #8

Looks like you bought a monitor rather than a TV

I think you purchased a monitor (like PC) rather than a TV. All TVs have tuners in them to play cable or over the air transmissions. I would suggest getting one of the old digital TV converter boxes that we all had to get to let our old analog TVs work with DTV. I bet you can get one for a few bucks either new or used from ebay.

The output on those is HDMI or RCA video and audio.
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:53 AM   #9

You may still have an connection issue between the IPad and TV. Does the IPad have an HDMI output port?
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #10

No one quite said it correctly. You bought a monitor, NOT a TV. You need to add a tuner. Plain and simple. Or return it for the proper device.

Oops! UT Grandpa said it before me.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:47 PM   #11

The iPad does have HDMI output capability.

The box certainly says she bought a TV, but it's still weird that it doesn't have a coax in. I'll figure something out. It's not high on my priority list at the moment...