Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2017, 02:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn.O View Post
you should fire up the fridge at least a day or two before loading it up with supplies while it's connected to power at home. Some people will run their fridges on propane while transiting but it can be illegal in some states to have the tanks open while traveling, just something to be aware of. It's illegal in Connecticut were I live so I will usually make surely it's nice and cold before I leave and as long as the door is closed you should be good for a day or so
your heater is going to run a fan while it's distributing heat throughout your travel trailer, that fan is going to draw power that will drain your battery. I have never dry camped but I wouldn't think one battery will not be enough.

good luck
Ditto
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdog01 View Post
Was in Costco yesterday, saw they are carrying a 1000 watt inverter battery box for $1000 bucks. Pricey, but is susposed to run refrig for hours on end. For dry campers, has a solar input plug! Manufacture was Yetti! Had 110 outlet on it!
YETI. IN ENGLISH MEANS PRICEY BEYOND REASON.

TRY A WINDY NATION.COM for some solar then worry not. Or try a Renogy.com portable unit for 100 to 200 watts. Set it out, clip to the batteries and not worry. Always a nice backup plan to have a nice quiet little inverter generator as a safe "plan B"
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #23

Thanks, everyone for your help!
ToonArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn.O View Post
your heater is going to run a fan while it's distributing heat throughout your travel trailer, that fan is going to draw power that will drain your battery. I have never dry camped but I wouldn't think one battery will not be enough.
The heater fan in my little A-frame draws just under 4 amps when it is running. I assume that in a larger travel trailer the current draw will be closer to 6 amps. This will be biggest 12V power hog if you are using the heater much.

If the heater fan draws 6 amps, and runs 5 hours in a 24 hour period, that's 30 amp-hours (AH). Your single size 24 battery is typically 80AH, and should not be discharged below 50% for decent battery life. Bottom line is 6 hours run time on your heater fan, and your battery needs recharging.

On our A-frame, we have a small space to heat, and the fan only takes 4 amps. A maximum run time of 5 hrs/night (so far the most we have had is 4 hrs run time on a 30 degree November night at Capitol Reef National Park) sucks 20AH. We added a 2nd battery to carry us for 4 nights dry camping/boondocking. This later became 2 Costco (Interstate) GC-2 232AH 6V golf cart batteries when one of the original size 24s failed, and took the other one with it.

just my experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:49 PM   #25
StepanFetchit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
only a few East Coast tunnels require the propane be turned off before entering.

Never been to the East Coast in an RV before, are there propane cops at each end of the tunnels checking?
Rdeemat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags