Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #1

no am/fm reception

My TT came with a Furrion audio system that has nothing but static when trying to tune terrestrial radio. One FM station barely comes in.
I pulled the radio out of the cabinet above the sink and noticed the antenna outlet on the radio is connected to a coax splitter. I am guessing coax is not the best source for pulling in stations. Over the air TV stations also "pixilate" if such a word exists.
I have a conventional car radio style antenna on order to see if that helps with reception.
Time to drill a hole in the roof.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #2

I'm looking forward to the suggestions that you get. I have the same problem with my POS Drive Entertainment System. I am considering an automotive antenna, too. But I'm not sure how to route the antenna lead.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:02 AM   #3

I've had the same problem on both our Rv's and the only solution I came up with is a portable radio from C Crane. I bought the Sangean many years ago and still use it, however I'm thinking of upgrading to the newer radio from C Crane. Best of luck.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChow View Post
I've had the same problem on both our Rv's and the only solution I came up with is a portable radio from C Crane. I bought the Sangean many years ago and still use it, however I'm thinking of upgrading to the newer radio from C Crane. Best of luck.
Yep, I am using a 25 yr old Sony portable as a backup for radio listening. It works great but it likes to eat up AA batteries. Would be nice to tune up stations on the TT radio and perhaps use the exterior speakers like they were designed. The trouble with new technology is some of us are not MP3 and Bluetooth savvy and don't know how to make it work.
I suppose I could pull up a radio station app on my smart phone, burn up data, pair it to the radio and listen to the Furrion audio but that seems so contrary to logic.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Yep, I am using a 25 yr old Sony portable as a backup for radio listening. It works great but it likes to eat up AA batteries. Would be nice to tune up stations on the TT radio and perhaps use the exterior speakers like they were designed. The trouble with new technology is some of us are not MP3 and Bluetooth savvy and don't know how to make it work.
I suppose I could pull up a radio station app on my smart phone, burn up data, pair it to the radio and listen to the Furrion audio but that seems so contrary to logic.
The iHeartRadio app works pretty well, and doesn't seem to burn data too quickly. My problem with that is the Drive Bluetooth connects on a hit or miss basis. And I know my phone is not the problem because it connects automatically and immediately to my truck and my motorcycle helmet.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
...I pulled the radio out of the cabinet above the sink and noticed the antenna outlet on the radio is connected to a coax splitter...
What is connected to the other output of the coax splitter? Our previous trailer had the radio connected to the roof top TV antenna. Raising the antenna, rotating it and turning on the antenna amplifier greatly improved radio reception.
Trailer traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer traveler View Post
What is connected to the other output of the coax splitter? Our previous trailer had the radio connected to the roof top TV antenna. Raising the antenna, rotating it and turning on the antenna amplifier greatly improved radio reception.
That might work for FM, not AM.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:32 AM   #8

Quote:
I have a TV antenna on the roof, it looks like a large black pod with two whiskers pointing out of it. I climbed onto the roof and it has no markings or model numbers. I don't have a product owners manual for it so I have no idea what it does or how it works. I assume the radio is connected to this antenna with coax.
I found the antenna that FR installed on my TT.
https://www.amazon.com/Omnidirection...ateway&sr=8-82
Old 07-07-2019, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
I have a TV antenna on the roof, it looks like a large black pod with two whiskers pointing out of it. I climbed onto the roof and it has no markings or model numbers. I don't have a product owners manual for it so I have no idea what it does or how it works. I assume the radio is connected to this antenna with coax.
I found the antenna that FR installed on my TT.
https://www.amazon.com/Omnidirection...ateway&sr=8-82
If you can figure out what is connected to the other output of the splitter, check to see if that device works. If so the problem is likely somewhere in the connection between the splitter and the radio. If the other device does not work either than the problem would be in the feed to the splitter or the splitter itself. If you connect the input cable to the splitter directly to the radio cable and the radio works, that will tell you if the splitter is the problem.
Trailer traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
If you can figure out what is connected to the other output of the splitter, check to see if that device works. If so the problem is likely somewhere in the connection between the splitter and the radio. If the other device does not work either than the problem would be in the feed to the splitter or the splitter itself. If you connect the input cable to the splitter directly to the radio cable and the radio works, that will tell you if the splitter is the problem.
I'm not taking chances with this cheapie antenna, I have a Winegard "batwing" on order. Back in the day, I had a batwing on a then new Fleetwood TT and it worked great. I realize we have since gone from analog to digital signals so time will tell if it improves reception.
How the radio is connected to the splitter will be moot once I install the stand alone radio antenna.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #11
Just as confused as you

The antenna doesn't care if it receives old style analog or digital signals. If the signal is available it will pick it up. AM signals have a shorter range and is more line of sight than FM. My TT radio has a short 18 inch antenna mounted on the side of a slide. We were lucky to receive 1 station, even that station would cut out. I redid my coax cables to take advantage of the winegard on the roof when the power booster is on. I now pick up both AM and FM signals from all around. I don't know anyone who listens to AM anymore as it's only good for Rush Limbaugh, Shaun Hannity and their buddies.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I don't know anyone who listens to AM anymore as it's only good for Rush Limbaugh, Shaun Hannity and their buddies.
Well now you know someone.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:51 PM   #13

The radio that came with my TT is pure crap. Since it's integrated with the DVD player I'm keeping it for now.

I have a Stratus model satellite radio receiver that allows me to move the "head" back and forth from Tow Vehicle to TT. Just need to install an antenna on the TT so I can use the Satellite radio in the TT. Will probably just get a "Home Docking Station w/speakers" as the TT's speaker's are crap too. I can then use the same "head" in my house as well, all with ONE subscription.

Problem with AM and even FM is that their band lengths are quite long and the antenna's installed on most "vehicles" are way too short to be most effective. Many years ago I installed a CB whip antenna to my old station wagon and routed the AM radio antenna to it. Local radio stations were still clear even though I was 100 miles or more away in areas where nobody else could receive the same stations.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Well now you know someone.
and another

Tags