Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 584
no am/fm reception

My TT came with a Furrion audio system that has nothing but static when trying to tune terrestrial radio. One FM station barely comes in.
I pulled the radio out of the cabinet above the sink and noticed the antenna outlet on the radio is connected to a coax splitter. I am guessing coax is not the best source for pulling in stations. Over the air TV stations also "pixilate" if such a word exists.
I have a conventional car radio style antenna on order to see if that helps with reception.
Time to drill a hole in the roof.
__________________

__________________
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CTD/CC/SB/4X4/Equalizer WDH
2019 Forest River Surveyor Legend 19BHLE
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
bedubya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 321
I'm looking forward to the suggestions that you get. I have the same problem with my POS Drive Entertainment System. I am considering an automotive antenna, too. But I'm not sure how to route the antenna lead.
__________________

__________________

'17 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fraser, Michigan
Posts: 278
I've had the same problem on both our Rv's and the only solution I came up with is a portable radio from C Crane. I bought the Sangean many years ago and still use it, however I'm thinking of upgrading to the newer radio from C Crane. Best of luck.
__________________


Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChow View Post
I've had the same problem on both our Rv's and the only solution I came up with is a portable radio from C Crane. I bought the Sangean many years ago and still use it, however I'm thinking of upgrading to the newer radio from C Crane. Best of luck.
Yep, I am using a 25 yr old Sony portable as a backup for radio listening. It works great but it likes to eat up AA batteries. Would be nice to tune up stations on the TT radio and perhaps use the exterior speakers like they were designed. The trouble with new technology is some of us are not MP3 and Bluetooth savvy and don't know how to make it work.
I suppose I could pull up a radio station app on my smart phone, burn up data, pair it to the radio and listen to the Furrion audio but that seems so contrary to logic.
__________________
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CTD/CC/SB/4X4/Equalizer WDH
2019 Forest River Surveyor Legend 19BHLE
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:25 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
bedubya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Yep, I am using a 25 yr old Sony portable as a backup for radio listening. It works great but it likes to eat up AA batteries. Would be nice to tune up stations on the TT radio and perhaps use the exterior speakers like they were designed. The trouble with new technology is some of us are not MP3 and Bluetooth savvy and don't know how to make it work.
I suppose I could pull up a radio station app on my smart phone, burn up data, pair it to the radio and listen to the Furrion audio but that seems so contrary to logic.
The iHeartRadio app works pretty well, and doesn't seem to burn data too quickly. My problem with that is the Drive Bluetooth connects on a hit or miss basis. And I know my phone is not the problem because it connects automatically and immediately to my truck and my motorcycle helmet.
__________________

'17 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
...I pulled the radio out of the cabinet above the sink and noticed the antenna outlet on the radio is connected to a coax splitter...
What is connected to the other output of the coax splitter? Our previous trailer had the radio connected to the roof top TV antenna. Raising the antenna, rotating it and turning on the antenna amplifier greatly improved radio reception.
Trailer traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:26 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
bedubya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer traveler View Post
What is connected to the other output of the coax splitter? Our previous trailer had the radio connected to the roof top TV antenna. Raising the antenna, rotating it and turning on the antenna amplifier greatly improved radio reception.
That might work for FM, not AM.
__________________

'17 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:32 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer traveler View Post
What is connected to the other output of the coax splitter? Our previous trailer had the radio connected to the roof top TV antenna. Raising the antenna, rotating it and turning on the antenna amplifier greatly improved radio reception.
I have a TV antenna on the roof, it looks like a large black pod with two whiskers pointing out of it. I climbed onto the roof and it has no markings or model numbers. I don't have a product owners manual for it so I have no idea what it does or how it works. I assume the radio is connected to this antenna with coax.
I found the antenna that FR installed on my TT.
https://www.amazon.com/Omnidirection...ateway&sr=8-82
__________________
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CTD/CC/SB/4X4/Equalizer WDH
2019 Forest River Surveyor Legend 19BHLE
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:04 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I have a TV antenna on the roof, it looks like a large black pod with two whiskers pointing out of it. I climbed onto the roof and it has no markings or model numbers. I don't have a product owners manual for it so I have no idea what it does or how it works. I assume the radio is connected to this antenna with coax.
I found the antenna that FR installed on my TT.
https://www.amazon.com/Omnidirection...ateway&sr=8-82
If you can figure out what is connected to the other output of the splitter, check to see if that device works. If so the problem is likely somewhere in the connection between the splitter and the radio. If the other device does not work either than the problem would be in the feed to the splitter or the splitter itself. If you connect the input cable to the splitter directly to the radio cable and the radio works, that will tell you if the splitter is the problem.
Trailer traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer traveler View Post
If you can figure out what is connected to the other output of the splitter, check to see if that device works. If so the problem is likely somewhere in the connection between the splitter and the radio. If the other device does not work either than the problem would be in the feed to the splitter or the splitter itself. If you connect the input cable to the splitter directly to the radio cable and the radio works, that will tell you if the splitter is the problem.
I'm not taking chances with this cheapie antenna, I have a Winegard "batwing" on order. Back in the day, I had a batwing on a then new Fleetwood TT and it worked great. I realize we have since gone from analog to digital signals so time will tell if it improves reception.
How the radio is connected to the splitter will be moot once I install the stand alone radio antenna.
__________________

__________________
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CTD/CC/SB/4X4/Equalizer WDH
2019 Forest River Surveyor Legend 19BHLE
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
reception

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 PM.