Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2018, 02:02 PM   #1

No AM radio reception in 2018 Greywolf 26 DBS Furrion DV 3100

Hello all, first post on here.

we just completed the first weekend in our brand new trailer. the trailer is awesome but now I'm back and forth with my dealer on an AM reception issue.

I live in Calgary AB Canada and have the furrion DV 3100. my dealer said the reason I have no AM reception is because the stereo itself is a digital stereo and wont pick up AM. I know this is not true because it comes with an AM/FM antenna and when I wiggled the antenna 2/3rds out I picked up 2 channels within the city clear as can be.

Wondering if anyone else has AM reception issues with this stereo? no AM reception in city limits of a city of 2 million people doesn't make sense to me.
Macdaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums! I have a qestion...

People still listen to A.M. radio?

All of the A.M. radio stations may want you as a customer, since you may be the only one left!

I'm just kidding! Obviously the people at the dealership have no idea what they're talking about.
Most AM/FM radios have an internal AM radio, and the external antenna is for FM only. That being said, there are many that still have an external antenna.

When you pull out the antenna, you ARE getting a few AM stations right? It sounds like there is a short (the shielding and the core of the antenna are making contact somewhere) in your antenna. This could be from the booster (if you have one) or somewhere else down the line.

Can you receive FM?
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:32 PM   #3

Thanks,

yes I still listen to AM radio for hockey playoffs and football. I was expecting a brand new trailer to work within 20 miles of a 2 million population city.

If I pull the antenna out I get nothing for AM or FM. If I slightly put antenna in a hold it I can get AM clear. if I push it all the way in AM is barely audible and FM is a bit fuzzy. Anyway I called dealership and they are picking it up and going to go over all the connections.

His original answer of it being digital didn't sit well with me so I contacted Furion and they confirmed it should pick up AM
Old 04-30-2018, 04:34 PM   #4

I'm thinking of Sirius XM for next year but not sure where to mount the antenna. thinking I could drill a hole on the underside of the tv antenna dish and then glue the Sirius antenna on top and run the wires through the TV antenna into the wall where my player is then silicon the crap out of the underside of the tv antenna
Old 05-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #5

If your trailer is the same basic floor plan as my 2016 I swapped out the stock radio with a Jensen w/dvd for DW. I also added a separate radio antenna for the radio as the omni directional antenna that comes in my rig was horrible at with stations. I've camped at the same lake with 3 different trailers and my new one gets the worst reception of all. And yes I have the booster on. It was a bit of a pain but I loosened the wall between the bedroom and the mantel then ran a fish tape from the radio to the outlet in the bedroom for the coax outlet on the roof of the bedroom.
TTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdaddy77 View Post
Thanks,

yes I still listen to AM radio for hockey playoffs and football. I was expecting a brand new trailer to work within 20 miles of a 2 million population city.

If I pull the antenna out I get nothing for AM or FM. If I slightly put antenna in a hold it I can get AM clear. if I push it all the way in AM is barely audible and FM is a bit fuzzy. Anyway I called dealership and they are picking it up and going to go over all the connections.

His original answer of it being digital didn't sit well with me so I contacted Furion and they confirmed it should pick up AM
It sounds like you have some interference with a booster, or a shorted antenna. If you have a multimeter, your two contacts should not complete a circuit. They SHOULD be completely open.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #7

Thanks for the comments. Trailer went back to dealership today to figure the stereo reception and an issue with the thermostat and a couple other things.

I'm a bit concerned that my service managers initial response was I wouldn't get AM radio because it was a digital head unit! Shocking.

I have confirmed with the manufacturer that it should pick up AM and now the dealer will have to rectify the situation.

I'm sure it's either a faulty antenna, kinked coaxial cable or a bad connection to the roof antenna or the coaxial joints to the splitter.

I'll update once I get it back from the dealership
Old 05-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #8

No AM radio reception in 2018 Greywolf 26 DBS Furrion DV 3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdaddy77 View Post
I'm thinking of Sirius XM for next year but not sure where to mount the antenna. thinking I could drill a hole on the underside of the tv antenna dish and then glue the Sirius antenna on top and run the wires through the TV antenna into the wall where my player is then silicon the crap out of the underside of the tv antenna

Maybe this will help you with SiriusXM

SiriusXM antenna install
Maybe this will help others.

Paul
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for....php?p=1364725 Just installed a SiriusXM unit with my new Kenwood DDX374BT. I did not want to put holes through the roof. I placed the SiriusXM antenna in the roof air vent. It is under both the air vent and the MaxxAir cover.

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:40 PM   #9
Site Team

The AM receiver uses a simple one conductor wire antenna about 13" long. You can simply strip about an inch of the insulation off the end and connect an additional length of wire to extend it. You can then stretch this out even in the walls.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #10

So after having the dealer tell me AGAIN that the antenna is digital and the stereo wont play AM radio stations I finally forced the dealer ship to swap out the stereo and low and behold it worked.

now next question, when the trailer is on 12 volt power it's clear as can be however, when I plug into 110v power there's a hum due to the converter. I know it's this because if I shut the converter fuse off it goes away.

Is there something else I should check? perhaps the ground wire on the stereo unit itself?
Old 05-17-2018, 12:37 PM   #11
Just as confused as you

You may have to install an in-line noise suppression filter such as this: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120ANR...X-ANR1000.html

You can probably go to an auto parts store and purchase what you need.

Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #12

I suppose the OP shouldn't feel too out of sorts about his AM reception - I took my own TT out this last weekend, and I couldn't even get it to switch over to the AM band (I believe we have the same unit). As a result, I didn't even think it had an AM tuner.

Now (and after confirming on Furrion's website just now), looks like a case of RTFM on my end.

At least I know now that I can listen to my sports radio station of choice, along with the Cubs game, once I figure out how to switch from FM > AM...LOL
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:02 PM   #13
Site Team

Could be a bad ground on the converter enclosure or a noisy converter. Is it a 60Hz hum? Do you have any LED lights on. Some of the inexpensive ones are noisy. The AM ant is simply a piece of wire that hands out the back of the DVD/Radio. Make sure it is not hanging down next to other wiring.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Could be a bad ground on the converter enclosure or a noisy converter. Is it a 60Hz hum? Do you have any LED lights on. Some of the inexpensive ones are noisy. The AM ant is simply a piece of wire that hands out the back of the DVD/Radio. Make sure it is not hanging down next to other wiring.
So could I just splice an additional length of the light gauge wire to the AM antenna wire and run it up closer to the roof?

Tags
radio, reception