Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #1

Red face No High Definition from brand new Georgetown

Hope this is the correct spot for electronic assistance.
We picked up our 2013 Georgetown 378 xl on Tuesday and I have been playing with the electronics.
The Clarion head unit controls the two LCD TV for DVD input.but I cannot project any HD source on the Toshiba or Jensen. Surprisingly the videi input from the Clarion goes to the Toshiba by simple video input and NOT HDMI.
There is a box above the passenger seat which has three selection
:satellite/cable TV antenna auxiliary.
The dealer said to use aux for DVD.
No where on the Toshibe menus was there a choice for 720 or 1080 because only 480i is coming in.

Am I wired incorrectly or do I need to set up Clarion or Toshiba TV different.
There are multiple HDMI inputs not being used but I am reluctant to pull the set out from the fireplace.

How has anyone else configured their DVD from head unit to Toshiba?

Thank you.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #2

DVD is 480p at maximum. Definitely won't get that thru video (yellow) cable. Most thru that is 480i. So you need component or HDMI to get that.
For HD (720, 1080i) you will need component (red,blue,green) or HDMI.

Blu-ray or HD satellite in 1080p you can only get thru HDMI. Audio can follow on the HDMI cable or thru coaxial or optical cable to your sound system.

So if you add a satellite decoder or blue-ray, you have a few options on how to cable up. Ideally you would go from box to home theatre (audio) to TV all in HDMI. Other option would be box (sat or Blu-ray) to TV, then TV audio out optical to sound system.

hope it works out.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #3

Thank you for your advice wincrasher. They did wire through a distribution box over seats which switches between Sat/Cable/ aux but yes the Clarion head unit does not generate a HD signal. I will have to add amplifier and Blu ray to input the HDTV.
I wish they included an option for decent DVD.
Seriously why put a nice LCD HDTV and waste it with a cheap head unit?
I have to see if the Toshiba plays sound through the overhead stereo or only through its own speakers?
I know the CG cable is going through the overhead movie sense box but they configured it so cheaply just to get it out the door.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Old 08-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan JS View Post
Thank you for your advice wincrasher. They did wire through a distribution box over seats which switches between Sat/Cable/ aux but yes the Clarion head unit does not generate a HD signal. I will have to add amplifier and Blu ray to input the HDTV.
I have to see if the Toshiba plays sound through the overhead stereo or only through its own speakers?
I know the CG cable is going through the overhead movie sense box but they configured it so cheaply just to get it out the door.
We all had that same comment regards the Concertone units they were putting in up till 2011. Post 2012 the Concertone units ZX-800 and after all have HDMI output. Now we have Blu-Ray DVD on the wish list.

Thanks to Bob Fields BTW for listening and pushing the factory to upgrade the video on these units.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #5

Toshiba Surround sound

Quote:
Mine is RCA DVD and Toshiba does surround by:
1. Turn on DVD
2. Turn down audio on TV to 1- not off
3 Chose "optical" on RCA (?) turn up volume till you have it. All speakers in room will be on. Other choices on mine are DVD, Tuner, Audio/Aux and Optical is the one that works, go figure. Mine also 378 TS with Toshiba 40".
In retrospect you can't really notice 125 raster, 480 or 720 lines once the show is on and you're paying attention! The sound is good in the small room.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:43 PM   #6

Wish I had RCA or concertone option. Everything goes through Clarion on dashboard and it doesn't even generate a signal beyond 480i. The surround signal is fine when dvd or radio is on but the video signal is pathetic. It will need another unit for Blu ray and a sound souce to run through the wiring when clarion is bypassed. Doesnanyone have a motorcoach with clarion then Toshiba?
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Old 08-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Wish I had RCA or concertone option. Everything goes through Clarion on dashboard and it doesn't even generate a signal beyond 480i. The surround signal is fine when dvd or radio is on but the video signal is pathetic. It will need another unit for Blu ray and a sound souce to run through the wiring when clarion is bypassed. Doesnanyone have a motorcoach with clarion then Toshiba?
BTW I failed to mention, I've had HD 1080 dpi in my driveway on major networks on the fixed, amplified, roof antenna and surround sound. The RCA is not a fancy quality DVD but it proves you can display HD if you have a HD feed. FR uses only the yellow video feed and tapped the TV sound system for signal to the DVD. No fancy HDMI cables. Its a tricky route from TV to signal sources (windshield pillar)
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote