Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #1

No radio reception at all

I own a 2014 FR Cherokee 294BH. The radio will not pick up a single station what so ever. I took the radio out of the wall area it is housed in. The antenna was hooked up. The only thing I can figure is maybe a ground issue.

I don't see but one antenna up there which looks like to me a TV antenna. I have not had a ladder to be able to climb on top. Does the radio run through the one antenna up there?

Any ideas on what might be wrong? What is the best way to ground the unit from inside?
MICHAEL G WARREN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:33 AM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

If you don't see the radio antenna, the bottom of the mount is probably loose and allowed the antenna to fold down flat against roof. I folded mine down flat to put the cover on my trailer over winter. If this is the case, stand it back up and snug up the set screw.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:40 AM   #3

On my '15 Freedom Express there is NO radio antennae, there is one of those non-movable TV antennae's that doesn't pick up crap. My previous TT had a dedicated radio antennae and worked very well. A couple of months after purchasing the TT I went back to the dealer to pick up something and asked the guys in the parts department about the antennae. They told me that most of the newer units, TT's, 5-er's, and coaches do not come with a dedicated radio antennae anymore. They stated that the TV antennae was also the radio antennae and most of those type units did not work well at all. I've taken my portable DeWalt radio inside of the TT to compare it to the TT's radio and the DeWalt unit can pick up a thousand more stations than the TT's radio. So, I just take my DeWalt radio with us camping, it works very well outside also.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

My stereo was connected to the TV antenna and only picked up radio stations when the antenna was raised...and only if the TV antenna amplifier/booster was turned on.

Near a big city I could pull in radio stations with the antenna down, but still needed to turn the amp/booster on.

I now have a marine antenna mounted to the inside wall of the entertainment cabinet until I get around to mounting an outdoor antenna for it.

Also, by unplugging the radio from the coax splitter that also splits to the living room TV, I now get a much clearer picture on that TV.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:58 AM   #5

Do you get static only on any channel you tune to? Some models of the Furrion the radio would fry or die. Other things would work but the radio was a no go. I got Furrion to replace it and agreed the radios were a batch problem on some. A charge of static from a nearby lightning strike can kill electronics... one gets zapped but the others stay fine.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:02 PM   #6

Like JohnD10 said, I too have found that we only get radio reception with our TV Antenna Booster turned on. I typically get all of my local channels with it pretty well when that is turned on however. There is no separate radio antenna on my roof either, just the standard batwing-style TV antenna. Oh, and I get the radio stations whether the antenna is in the raised or lowered position.
Mud Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #7

We have a home entertainment combo (AM, FM, CD/DVD and USB player. FM reception is almost nil. There is an FM antenna connection on the back of the unit that looks like an "F" connector with a plastic coated stranded wire coming out of it. Tried to unscrew it but it is either too tight for me to risk forcing or I am wrong about the type of connector. The unit is a RCA RTD317M.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
We have a home entertainment combo (AM, FM, CD/DVD and USB player. FM reception is almost nil. There is an FM antenna connection on the back of the unit that looks like an "F" connector with a plastic coated stranded wire coming out of it. Tried to unscrew it but it is either too tight for me to risk forcing or I am wrong about the type of connector. The unit is a RCA RTD317M.
That wire is probably an old school diapole antenna.

If it is in a ball...unroll it and stretch it out.

That may be why you aren't getting any signal...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:20 PM   #9
Site Team

Try turning on the power to the tv antenna on the wall jack. This should help the FM reception. For AM reception, there should be a single wire that may be rolled or bundled up, Unbundle it and extend it. It is fin just hanging down.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, reception