Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #41

Domestic fridge fan at back going on for 5-6 sec and then off for 20-25 sec

It is a constant cycle. Trailer a 2010 with a Domestic frridge/freezer compartment. First time camping this season and first time we started hearing the fridge fan. Opened the back of freezer from outside the trailer, can see a fan at top near the coils that has a sensor attached. Replaced a fuse and thought the problemw as fixed then the cycle of on and off kept repeating itself. Annoying, would disconnect the fan if I thought it was ok, but not sure if there is a problem with the fan or if is the sensor that is causing the fan to repeat the cycle continuously. We removed the fuse a few times to stop the fan from coming on and then put the fuse in. It would work for a short period but once the fan cut in once it would repeat the on and off cycle. It would be ok if the fan cut in for awhile and then cut out but this short cycle appears like the fan is indecisive as if it doesn't know if it should be on or off. Does anyone else have this problem or have a solution. I may try replacing the sensor first, eventhough it is hard to reach and not sure how it is attached to the coils.

Thanks
simonsophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #42

Wow. Please just read the post above yours. The problem is that they put the sensor directly in the fan airflow path. Move the sensor to a fin on the edge and it should stop doing that.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #43

There are no fins on the back of the fridge. The back of the fridge has coils but there is a sensor attached to the coils on the back of the fridge. The sensor is in direct pathway of the airflow at the back of the fridge. The fan that I can see it is near the coils. I am not sure if I can get my hands up there to remove this sensor and it is maybe welded on. I maybe able to get a new sensor attached by using something to reach up to the coils and just disconnect the other sensor. Also, inside the fridge there are fins and a temperature sensor (white plastic thing you slide up and down the fin), not sure if this is the fins and sensor you are referring too. Let me know I can use all the advice I can get.
Thanks
Old 05-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #44

I am not referring to the fins inside. It is the outside coils then (I thought they all had fins to improve their ability to dissipate heat). Yes, somehow get the sensor on the coils so that it is not directly in the airflow path.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #45

HI Barry. I had to take another look at the fridge to ensure what I was saying was correct. I do see fins on the outside but it is very high and difficult to see, I don't see a sensor there but I am not certain as I would have to take the fridge out to see for sure. There are 2 red wires attached to the fan from what looks like a sensor that is attached to the coil that I can see. Do you believe that the sensor I see on the coil is the one I need to replace?
Thanks
Dale
Old 05-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsophie

HI Barry. I had to take another look at the fridge to ensure what I was saying was correct. I do see fins on the outside but it is very high and difficult to see, I don't see a sensor there but I am not certain as I would have to take the fridge out to see for sure. There are 2 red wires attached to the fan from what looks like a sensor that is attached to the coil that I can see. Do you believe that the sensor I see on the coil is the one I need to replace?
Thanks
Dale
You can't see the finned condenser at the top of the fridge exterior nor can you reach it. Exception is if unit in slide with two doors outside. Like in case above unit was removed for access and sensor relocation. Another access is remve roof vent, again can't reach past the coil.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #47

Thanks, correct it will be hard to get at the fins in the top of the fridge unless I put the fridge out. The picture is of the fan I can see. In the picture is the little thing that has 2 red wired attached to it the sensor? If this is the sensor I need to replace I maybe able to reach the coil and cut the wires from that sensor and and attach another sensor. Thanks for your assistance. Greatly appreciated.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsophie View Post
Thanks, correct it will be hard to get at the fins in the top of the fridge unless I put the fridge out. The picture is of the fan I can see. In the picture is the little thing that has 2 red wired attached to it the sensor? If this is the sensor I need to replace I maybe able to reach the coil and cut the wires from that sensor and and attach another sensor. Thanks for your assistance. Greatly appreciated.
Dunno.....Your pic didn't come through in Windows or Apple format.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #49

I have tried to put the pic on the message.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #50

Your picture seems to be a link to your private mail account at mail.live.com/att. You need to put the actual photo on your computer and let the FRF software upload it from there.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #51

Well, we made a trip this past weekend but I'm afraid it was inconclussive on the fridge noise. With the first trip it was hitting 80 degrees each day and cycling constantly (even at night as it didn't cool off below 60). I guess winter set back in again becuase it never made it up to 60 this past weekend and it rained most of the time. The fans never came on (or I never heard them), but being so cold I'm not sure that counts.

I'll wait for summer to show up again and run the fridge for a while to see what happens. We're in a cold spell now so it may be a while. But at least things are looking good for th fix :-).
cobrageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:20 AM   #52
Site Team

My loud, squealing fan never turns off. On the 8282ws rockwood 5er. Guess I'll ladder up today and try to move the fan(s) today before our first trip. BTW, I am packing a sledge hammer. It never stops!

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:26 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood
My loud, squealing fan never turns off. On the 8282ws rockwood 5er. Guess I'll ladder up today and try to move the fan(s) today before our first trip. BTW, I am packing a sledge hammer. It never stops!
If you silence the fans your coolling will cut in half and may damage machine. Change or suppllement cooling air.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #54
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
If you silence the fans your coolling will cut in half and may damage machine. Change or suppllement cooling air.

Maybe you've already done it ,but replace the OEM fans with computer fans.

Do a search, lots of info here on the subject.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:45 AM   #55
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
I am not referring to the fins inside. It is the outside coils then (I thought they all had fins to improve their ability to dissipate heat). Yes, somehow get the sensor on the coils so that it is not directly in the airflow path.
Is it possible to add a deflector to direct the airflow to a different portion of the fins.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #56

I added an extra computer fan right next to the factory fan. I left the factory fan as is as back up. With the new computer fan running, quietly all the time the factory fan never turns on and the refrig runs cooler also.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
OK. Took the top grill off on the slide and looked in. Fan turned off for first time and has yet to restart. I assume the paneling blocking grill (see picture)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130531_105206.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	31798

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130531_105219.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	31799

Is to direct heat to the top fins. I moved sensor to left side, which didn't seem as hot as right side. Replaced grill. Still no fan running. ??? Going to monitor it over the weekend and see how it goes.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #58
Site Team

Well, 3 days later and fan has not been heard again. One thing I noticed... the sensor was not tight against the fin. One screw tight, one not, so edge of sensor had space between it and fin. When I moved it to other side I tightened both screws and sensor is flat on fin.
Could it be that simple? Ice cream still hard. Ice trays still frozen. PTL.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Well, 3 days later and fan has not been heard again. One thing I noticed... the sensor was not tight against the fin. One screw tight, one not, so edge of sensor had space between it and fin. When I moved it to other side I tightened both screws and sensor is flat on fin.
Could it be that simple? Ice cream still hard. Ice trays still frozen. PTL.
I see you're in Louisiana so I think it's unlikely that the temps have been below 80 all this time. The fans should be turning on occasionally. Perhaps a wire was knocked loose during this process? Put a thermometer in your fridge to see what the temp is.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #60
Site Team

It got warm Saturday, around 87 but storm blew in sat eve and dropped temp. Thermometer is good idea. I'll try that.