Old 05-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #31

Any chance there is a plastic slider on the refrig fins on the right side? If its there and all the way to the top, the box is on max cooling. I had a 2652 bout 10 years ago, there was no fan then but it had the slider for temp control.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #32

Doing more searches I found several sources that indicated the problem being the sensor for the coil fans being too close to the air stream. Several suggested moving this sensor, which is attached to one of the coils, to the left along that coil. One person said it seemed to fix it and made the fans stop running completely. Another said it lengthed the cycle time from 20-30 seconds out to 5 minutes or more (providing the hysterisys one would expect).
http://www.fixya.com/support/t10222237-refrigerator_fan_cycles

Also several suggestions for removing the fuse at night, switches to emulate pulling the fuse and adding quiet "always on" fans to remove the need for the others.

I called Dometic and they said this should not be occuring and pointed me to a local place for warranty service. I'm taking the trailer in there on Thursday and I'm guessing they'll at least try moving the sensor. Hopefully this will get it fixed. If not, I'll consider the extra fan option. I'll keep you posted.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrageek View Post
Barry, we are in OR, but strangely it has been that warm here. It's been overy 80 most days (which is really nice :-)). I was wondering about the short on/off cycles as it seems like you'd build more of a hysterisys into the system. But in my searches I've found others that have complained about the exact same thing. So maybe it was a particular model or year.

dcorn, I'd like to swap them out for nicer fans but I'd have to remove the whole fridge to do it and it definitely isn't worth it unless it's a warranty fix. I doubt Dometic will change anything under warranty but I'll give them a call and describe the behavior to see if we can get something done. Otherwise I think we'll either just live with it or I'll add some extra fans that are quiet and always running to see if we can keep these others off.

I'll let you know what dometic says when I call them tomorrow. Thanks.
You don't have to pull the frig out to change the fans. You can access the fans from the top hole behind the frig compartment wall (outside wall) What I did was remove the two fans, then installed a board on the back wall (not easy but can be done) to attach the two new fans. Then I replaced the old fans with new quiet, high efficiency fans. The two extra fans, I wired into a 12v source in the refrigerator compartment with a temp. control switch - for instance, one that can be installed for an attic exhaust fan in series with the fans. I set the temp control to turn the fans on at 80 degrees. The two original fans were powered thru the temp switch on the coils of the frig., which I left in place. My original fans cycled on 5 minutes on then 5 minutes off, depending on outside temp, sometimes ran all day! Since installing the extra fans, the frig is cooling much better in warm temps. Bought the best fans I could find on line from a computer supply business. I purchased the temp switch from Home Depot. Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #34

My 5'er is 7 months old and we have noisy Dometic refrigerator fans as well. Ours only come on when the outside temperature is above 70 degrees. Yes, they are really loud. At "The International" I've requested that tech staff take a look at them. I'll HAVE to live with the noise until then.

Adrienne

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn44
You don't have to pull the frig out to change the fans. You can access the fans from the top hole behind the frig compartment wall (outside wall) What I did was remove the two fans, then installed a board on the back wall (not easy but can be done) to attach the two new fans. Then I replaced the old fans with new quiet, high efficiency fans. The two extra fans, I wired into a 12v source in the refrigerator compartment with a temp. control switch - for instance, one that can be installed for an attic exhaust fan in series with the fans. I set the temp control to turn the fans on at 80 degrees. The two original fans were powered thru the temp switch on the coils of the frig., which I left in place. My original fans cycled on 5 minutes on then 5 minutes off, depending on outside temp, sometimes ran all day! Since installing the extra fans, the frig is cooling much better in warm temps. Bought the best fans I could find on line from a computer supply business. I purchased the temp switch from Home Depot. Hope this helps.
Access you have is only provided if fridge is in a slideout. Most are mounted against a solid wall ans then are vented through roof cover. If this is the case, must pull unit for repairs.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #36

Vince is right. Our fridge is not in a slideout so it only has the lower access/vent and the top vent is on the roof. There is no way to get to the fans without pulling the fridge. I'm bringing it in on Thursday to see what they can do. I'm hoping for the best.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I hope you don't get the standard answer. "Well THAT's NORMAL".
Old 05-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #38

Well they've had the trailer for a couple of days so I called the folks doing the work. They told me that the Dometic technical service guys told them it was normal for these fridges to cycle on and off quickly and that they weren't getting the authorization to do any warranty work.

So I called back the customer service side of Dometic. The person I talked to said that technically it is true that it is functioning as it was designed, but that they had received so many customer complaints that they had worked out with the technical service side to approve 0.7 to 1 hour for warranty work to pull out the fridge and move the sensor to the end of the coils and get it out of the direct path of the fans. She put this in the notes for my fridge (based on model and serial number) so I called by the guys doing the work and asked them to contact dometic again and they should be able to get that authorization.

I'll call them back today and see how it's going and let you know. Hopefully they get this approval and can fix the short cycling of the fans.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrageek View Post
Well they've had the trailer for a couple of days so I called the folks doing the work. They told me that the Dometic technical service guys told them it was normal for these fridges to cycle on and off quickly and that they weren't getting the authorization to do any warranty work.

So I called back the customer service side of Dometic. The person I talked to said that technically it is true that it is functioning as it was designed, but that they had received so many customer complaints that they had worked out with the technical service side to approve 0.7 to 1 hour for warranty work to pull out the fridge and move the sensor to the end of the coils and get it out of the direct path of the fans. She put this in the notes for my fridge (based on model and serial number) so I called by the guys doing the work and asked them to contact dometic again and they should be able to get that authorization.

I'll call them back today and see how it's going and let you know. Hopefully they get this approval and can fix the short cycling of the fans.
Good news! Good job.......
Old 05-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #40

Yep, that was the big hurdle. The service place we had work on it (camping world) is really good and they were approved to do the job. I just picked it up tonight and they said moving the sensor fixed the short cycling problem. I have yet to test it but I'll get it backed into place and hooked up the power in a couple days and report back my judgement of the fix. I discussed a few other things they could do with them but this was all they could do and keep it under warranty, so I went with this. I'll let you know in a couple days.