Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #1

Noisy fridge fan

We are on our first trip in our new roo 23rs. It has a nice domestic fridge that with an automatic thermostat setup.

Behind the fridge there is some kind of fan that comes on and off periodically. It will come on for 20 seconds, the off for 45, then back on for 30, then off for 60, then ... You get the idea. It kept my wife up all night.

Is this normal? What is it doin? Is there some way to make it quieter? It would be better if it just stayed on all the time rather than switching on and off constantly.

Thanks. I'd like to get my wife a good nights sleep toninght.
cobrageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrageek View Post
We are on our first trip in our new roo 23rs. It has a nice domestic fridge that with an automatic thermostat setup.

Behind the fridge there is some kind of fan that comes on and off periodically. It will come on for 20 seconds, the off for 45, then back on for 30, then off for 60, then ... You get the idea. It kept my wife up all night.

Is this normal? What is it doin? Is there some way to make it quieter? It would be better if it just stayed on all the time rather than switching on and off constantly.

It's a cooling fan. Quick and dirty fix, clip the wires and hot wire it to run all time or just clip the wire and leave it off, not a good fix, but DW will be able to sleep.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
Site Team

our Roo's fridge doesn't have a fridge fan but maybe yours does.

are you sure it's not the converter's fan?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
our Roo's fridge doesn't have a fridge fan but maybe yours does.

are you sure it's not the converter's fan?
I'd belive your statement if .....
1)There's quite a bit of 12v items turned on.
2)The battery is giving up the gost.
3)The converter is getting ready to go south.

I'd I've to think number (2) "normally"

But since its new I'd have to refer to fridge.

Thoughts?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:

Don't disable it, your food will spoil! Its a condenser fan and helps with the process. Its thermo controlled. If its noisy complain to your dealer or Dometic and make them change it.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I'd belive your statement if .....
1)There's quite a bit of 12v items turned on.
2)The battery is giving up the gost.
3)The converter is getting ready to go south.

I'd I've to think number (2) "normally"

But since its new I'd have to refer to fridge.

Thoughts?
It's probably the stack fan cycling unless it is a 110v home type refrigerator which I assume it isn't. With it cycling at night which is another assumption since his DW is trying to sleep, it shouldn't hurt to disable an absorption type frig.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Don't disable it, your food will spoil! Its a condenser fan and helps with the process. Its thermo controlled. If its noisy complain to your dealer or Dometic and make them change it.
My correction, thought you had a big reefer, now I'll vote its a bad converter like some others had said, same advice, ask them to change it out. Should only be a whisper.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
My correction, thought you had a big reefer, now I'll vote its a bad converter like some others had said, same advice, ask them to change it out. Should only be a whisper.
Agree it might be converter, but at night assuming there are no lights on?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #9

never heard of a dometic refrig. having a fan, none of mine did.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
How long ago was that? My 2013 sure does.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #11

I have a 2011 Rockwood 2304S and it has the same fan. I found the wire that feeds the fan in back of the refer. I spliced an on off switch in it and at night I turn it off and turn it back on in the morning.. It should not hurt the refer since at night no one is opening and closing the door.
jwuertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #12

My 2012 30WRS Work and Play toy hauler has a Dometic refrigerator has a thermostatic controlled fan mounted in the outside compartment above the coils. It was so noisy we could hear at night in the bedroom. Anyway the American RV in Ocala replaced it free under warranty, it's a known problem.
jamesroadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787
I have a band- two fans!
Old 05-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #14

It is definitely not the converter fan. I can hear that one as well, but it isn't this one and doesn't switch on and off as rapidly.

I took a look at the back of the fridge and there is a pair of fans that are above the coils near the top of the fridge. I was thinking I would try replacing them with super quiet computer fans but I don't think I can get to them without pulling the fridge out.

They are above the coils near the top of the fridge and I definitely can't get to them from the access hatch. Maybe if I took off the roof vent I could reach them from the top, but I'm not sure about that. I could take it to the dealer but they are an hour away from our house and haven't been very helpful. I suspect they'd just say that is the way they sound.

Maybe an "off for night" switch. Would be ok, but I'm afraid I'd forget to turn it back on. Maybe an always on switch. Any other ideas?
Old 05-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #15

Quote:
It is definitely not the converter fan. I can hear that one as well, but it isn't this one and doesn't switch on and off as rapidly.

I took a look at the back of the fridge and there is a pair of fans that are above the coils near the top of the fridge. I was thinking I would try replacing them with super quiet computer fans but I don't think I can get to them without pulling the fridge out.

They are above the coils near the top of the fridge and I definitely can't get to them from the access hatch. Maybe if I took off the roof vent I could reach them from the top, but I'm not sure about that. I could take it to the dealer but they are an hour away from our house and haven't been very helpful. I suspect they'd just say that is the way they sound.

Maybe an "off for night" switch. Would be ok, but I'm afraid I'd forget to turn it back on. Maybe an always on switch. Any other ideas?
My fridge had to come out for a different problem (wiring). It weighs 200lbs as I recall. They used a transmission jack to handle it. Its under warranty I guess, let a Dometic dealer do it. You cannot reach from the roof, its like looking into a radiator from up there. Mine was repaired by a 3rd party and Dometic paid it. They should sound like a whirr not a racket.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Have the dealer replace them and then add the switch and leave it in the on position if you want. It will not hurt the refrigerator function, just wear out the fans as they are no doubt sleeve brg style. I would ask the dealer if he would put in ball brg fans tho'.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #17

Thanks Vince. I looked a bit more and it's like you said. The fans are actually between the fridge coils and the freezer coils. Impossible to access without taking out the fridge.

The fans definitely make a whirring sound, but when all else is quiet (like at night) it's surprisingly loud. It's mostly the on-off randomness that really adds to the annoying factor. It's just random enough to be really obnoxious. But I'm guessing the dometic folks would say it's normal. I was just hoping for a nice mod.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks Vince. I looked a bit more and it's like you said. The fans are actually between the fridge coils and the freezer coils. Impossible to access without taking out the fridge.

The fans definitely make a whirring sound, but when all else is quiet (like at night) it's surprisingly loud. It's mostly the on-off randomness that really adds to the annoying factor. It's just random enough to be really obnoxious. But I'm guessing the dometic folks would say it's normal. I was just hoping for a nice mod.
Understood, you must know those boxes are quick to absorb heat and slow to recover. If it is running at night, it must be needed! I've had soup Ice cream, no joy.......

If however if you fitup an auxiliary source of cooling air (see Turbs installation, fans on the bottom) it probably wouldn't run at night. Don't eliminate them however, they really are high cap fans thus the noise. The condenser is a bit undersized for the size of the box.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Understood, you must know those boxes are quick to absorb heat and slow to recover. If it is running at night, it must be needed! I've had soup Ice cream, no joy.......

If however if you fitup an auxiliary source of cooling air (see Turbs installation, fans on the bottom) it probably wouldn't run at night. Don't eliminate them however, they really are high cap fans thus the noise. The condenser is a bit undersized for the size of the box.
All that is needed is a switch to have the factory fans to run all the time and if they quit, add 2 ball brg ones below instead of replacing the factory ones.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #20

Well, I think DW was tired enough that she was able to sleep through it last night. I'm going to call Dometic and see if they will do something for it under warranty.

I like the idea of an always on switch but that would definitely void the warranty. Also, the electronics that is accessible from behind only controls the main heater area. I may look at adding a couple of quiet fans under the fridge coils to see if they keep things cool enough to stop the noisy fans from coming on.

In our old trailer the fridge was basic and had no fans. We could dry camp for 5 days easily with a single battery. With this fan setup, how much energy do these things pull from the battery? They've probably been running 20 or 30% of the time which seems like it would be a noticable drain. Do I need to get a second battery if I want to dry camp for 5 days?