Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 01:03 PM   #1

Norcold 2 door - freezer too warm & fridge to cold

Hey all - as the title says ... the freezer is too warm and the fridge can freeze the food.

- Norcold N811VFRW fridge.
- Seals are good
- Didn't matter if the vents were in the sun or not. Very soft ice cream in the evening and it still felt squishy in the morning.
- Temps at night were in the low 50's and mid to high 80's during the day (quite humid though).
- Freezer did not get opened very often.
- We were on propane for 6 days.
- I haven't checked it since we got home and plugged into 120vac.

Thoughts?
Old 07-26-2017, 10:24 AM   #2

Finally got around to looking at the fridge last night after our last camping trip.

Plugged into 30A at home the freezer was at 3F and fridge was at ... I forget ... but it was properly cold for food.

So, while camping on 12v and propane, the freezer didn't work well but the fridge portion did.

At home on 120V power, all seems ok.

I leave the fridge on while traveling, the camper was level while we were camping however, the camper wasn't too level for a couple of hrs (we had to unhitch and hunt for a campsite in a huge boondocking area).

Any thoughts?
Old 07-26-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
Site Team

It could be a dirty flue. If you haven't cleaned it, that's where I'd start, especially since it's the propane side that's more affected.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #4

Thanks - It's a 2016 camper so it shouldn't be dirty but I'll check on it. Do you think that could make the freezer act like the fridge and the fridge act like the freezer?

Maybe last week was "opposite day" but for the whole week ...
Old 07-26-2017, 12:20 PM   #5
Site Team

All it takes to soot up the flue is for a tiny piece of debris to get in the burner or orifice and throw the fuel to air ratio off a little while.

I think the SpongeBob opposite day show was airing last week, so that's certainly possible. :-D
Old 07-26-2017, 02:30 PM   #6

I also have a Norcold and it works well after learning some lessons. The buttons that appear to be rivets in the back are sensors. You cannot allow them to frost over. Same goes for inner fridge unit coils. I run the unit every day for 8 months as I am always on the road, whether on AC/Gas. It is a pain some times and I vented below the unit you should. (That is me saying should do what pleases you.) wipe them down every 3 days. A simple vent fan below the fridge cavity near the mother board for electronics controls this better but if I go 7 days I have frost and the auto sensors self defrost. To be honest best fridge/freezer combo I have ever seen. God bless--Tony
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:04 PM   #7

Tony - can you explain a bit more please? When you say rivets in the back, do you mean the outside vent area or inside the fridge area?
Old 07-27-2017, 06:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm1 View Post
Tony - can you explain a bit more please? When you say rivets in the back, do you mean the outside vent area or inside the fridge area?
Inside the freezer on the back wall 2 rows horizontally roughly centered. I was having your issue early on and contacted Norcold. My unit has 8 what appear to be rivets. They are temperature control sensors (thermometers) on the auto temp control unit. The coils in the top of your fridge will sweat (condensate) when the rivets are blocked. a small amount of frost on them is desired. If you need I will try and post a photo later.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:09 AM   #9

Interesting ... the back wall of the freezer was fairly heavily frosted over. I have since shut off the fridge and defrosted everything and it's back on again and I'll keep an eye on it now.

Dang it ... one more thing to keep track of.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2017, 09:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm1 View Post
Interesting ... the back wall of the freezer was fairly heavily frosted over. I have since shut off the fridge and defrosted everything and it's back on again and I'll keep an eye on it now.

Dang it ... one more thing to keep track of.

Thanks
I use a hair dryer once every few days. I allow the areas around sensors to frost to approx 1/4 - 3/8th inch. It stays super cold via electric or propane.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:20 PM   #11

If i have to park off level ( 3* side to side / 6* front to back I turn refrig off.)
Dirty burner / flue. Gas psi
I have a roof vent so I must remove refrig to reach flue pipe. 2 side vents you can clean the frig in place.
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, fridge