Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2016, 04:26 PM   #1

Norcold N821 Refrigeration Ignition Problem

Hi Everyone - I have a Norcold N821 refrigerator (gas and AC) - about a 2004 model. Worked fine until a few weeks ago. AC works fine. When I try to use gas, I can hear the control board click as if to fire the igniter every few seconds. I can see about 1.6 volts coming from the igniter on the control board and going to the electrode, but I don't get a spark. I've checked the igniter wire and electrode and it ohms out ok. I can see 1.6 volts at the electrode tip, so it seems like the electrode wire is ok. I've also checked the electrode gap and it's ok (it hasn't been changed or adjusted since it was working). I've also cleaned the electrode tip and burner. My question - is 1.6 volts enough to make a spark? Or is something else wrong? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
kacccd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:37 PM   #2

I'm not sure about the voltage, but if you take the screw out in the flue you can raise it and watch the spark if the spark is hitting the little burner it should fire if not then the ignitor is not getting the correct juice. I have never seen any data on the voltage. It might also be the ignitor itself. make sure the ignitor wire is not gounding anywhere robbing you of juice, also check the burner or I call it a pilot. They can rust on you and the place the gas and spark hit could be off. Sorry I can't be of more help...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Might get something out of these.

Norcold Customer Support Dept. Telephone: 800-543-1219
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacccd View Post
My question - is 1.6 volts enough to make a spark? Or is something else wrong? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The voltage to produce the spark would be a few thousand times more than 1.6 volts.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:28 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Loosen mounting nut for sparker and re-tighten to make sure you have a good ground. I would loosen all the screws and re-tighten also.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:06 AM   #6

Thanks for all the help (and the links to the manuals). I've went back and looked at all the suggestions. The ignition module on the control board is very loose and I suspect it's not working properly. I tried wiggling it during the ignition cycle, but no luck. Looks like a new control board - shame since I can manually light the burner and it works fine. It does go out sometimes (i.e. traveling) so I have to monitor it closely. If it goes out, I get a fault on the refrigerator panel, so that part is still working. Since the AC side works fine, I can use it when I'm not on the road and have electricity.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #7

When traveling you could use a inverter.
Jonol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacccd View Post
Thanks for all the help (and the links to the manuals). I've went back and looked at all the suggestions. The ignition module on the control board is very loose and I suspect it's not working properly. I tried wiggling it during the ignition cycle, but no luck. Looks like a new control board - shame since I can manually light the burner and it works fine. It does go out sometimes (i.e. traveling) so I have to monitor it closely. If it goes out, I get a fault on the refrigerator panel, so that part is still working. Since the AC side works fine, I can use it when I'm not on the road and have electricity.
Check ebay or Amazon for your board,,,

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:00 PM   #9

Control board

You can try Dinosaur Electronics here:
http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Dom_boards.htm

Here is a goggle search
dometic refrigerator control board - Google Search

Good luck

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #10

Thanks again everyone for the info - I'll look for the board and explore the idea of an inverter.