Old 09-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #1

NT-30sp furnace

I am having touble with my furnace. When heat selected on thermstat the blower fan will run for a bit, than a click will be heard than a slight thud can be heard, than the burner will light for a few seconds and than go out. The fan will continue blowing (feels strong), Than it will click again. thud again, light again and than go out. It will repeat this one more time than fan will fun for aminute or two than stop. By turning thermstat on and off again the procedure will repeat. I have tried 2 tanks I have here. I have refilled a tank and tried that. I have tried shutting everything sdown and opening valves slowly. The propane will keep the hot water heater, 3 burner stove and oven going at once so I dont think it is a propane problem. I have 13V battery power. Is there a flame sensor on the burner or something to keep the gas going once it lights? Thanks Rob

Old 09-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
Site Team

Are you still having this problem? Have you check your manual for troubleshooting ideas? Sorry, I have limited knowledge with technical stuff.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchrob View Post
I am having touble with my furnace. When heat selected on thermstat the blower fan will run for a bit, than a click will be heard than a slight thud can be heard, than the burner will light for a few seconds and than go out. The fan will continue blowing (feels strong), Than it will click again. thud again, light again and than go out. It will repeat this one more time than fan will fun for aminute or two than stop. By turning thermstat on and off again the procedure will repeat. I have tried 2 tanks I have here. I have refilled a tank and tried that. I have tried shutting everything sdown and opening valves slowly. The propane will keep the hot water heater, 3 burner stove and oven going at once so I dont think it is a propane problem. I have 13V battery power. Is there a flame sensor on the burner or something to keep the gas going once it lights? Thanks Rob
What you have stated is the correct ignition process.( exception without going out) Your question is their a flame sensor? YES "it is really a pilot sensor". The thud you are hearing could be delayed ignition. In other words your heat exchanger is filling with gas before the burner ignites ( that could suck your pilot out and the process starts over). You should check the pilot hood for a strong flame and it has to hit the burner. You could try to blow out the pilot hood with some air.(bugs can get in it) I think also that their is a pilot light gas adjustment by the valve. Also check the slide on the burner tube to make sure it is open to let air mix. You need to keep heat on the probe attached to the pilot assembly. The flame on the probe keeps your valve open and also creates the spark. I do not think that it is a propane problem.......
Old 09-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
What you have stated is the correct ignition process.( exception without going out) Your question is their a flame sensor? YES "it is really a pilot sensor". The thud you are hearing could be delayed ignition. In other words your heat exchanger is filling with gas before the burner ignites ( that could suck your pilot out and the process starts over). You should check the pilot hood for a strong flame and it has to hit the burner. You could try to blow out the pilot hood with some air.(bugs can get in it) I think also that their is a pilot light gas adjustment by the valve. Also check the slide on the burner tube to make sure it is open to let air mix. You need to keep heat on the probe attached to the pilot assembly. The flame on the probe keeps your valve open and also creates the spark. I do not think that it is a propane problem.......
There is no pilot light as this is electronic ignition. The burner lights right away when the burner thuds, burns for 5 seconds than goes out.I have removed the burner and it is clean, checked the sail switch and it is ok, bypassed the limit sensor and no different. The flame from the burner is a nice crisp blue and all holes burning, no air restrictions on the inlet or outlet, I have been watching the ignitor and the it sparks for about 5 seconds while the burner is burning and as soon as the spark stops so does the flame from the burner.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #5

I have been searching for answers to this same problem! Did you ever figure out a fix?
Old 09-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by selwaycj View Post
I have been searching for answers to this same problem! Did you ever figure out a fix?
I'm not positive this will help either you or wrenchrob, but here is a Service Manual that covers that model.

Furnace - Suburban Service Manual (NT models)

And, here is a part of it that might help you with the problem ...

Burner Ignites But Shuts Off:
1. Check to be certain that flame sensor is over slots in the main burner and that the main burner flame is burning against the tip of the flame sensor - adjust by bending the sensor probe. NOTE: Sensor probe should be in the inner blue cone of the burner flame, approximately 1/4" to 5/16" above the burner.

2. If the burner still goes off and into lockout, check the wire connections at the flame sensor and the module board.

3. If wire connections are okay, check for continuity through the flame sensor wire.

4. If the continuity of the flame sensor wire is okay, check with microamp meter in series with the flame sensor and flame sensor wire to be certain the flame sensor is generating at least seven microamps within seven seconds after the burner is ignited.

Connect the meter as follows: (+) to sensor wire, (-) to sensor probe. Adjust the position of the sensor probe, check air adjustment and check for carbon deposits on the sensor probe if the reading is less than seven microamps.

5. When the flame sensor circuit is generating at least seven microamps, but the burner still goes off and into lockout, replace the module board.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote