Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
CLASS "A" Senior Member

NuWave Induction Cooktop

Anyone have the NuWave Induction Cooktop? I've seen it advertized and it looks like an interesting solution to heat in the RV during the summertime when the AC is running like mad to keep up. Pluses or minuses about them! I figured I ask the experts here at FRF and see what your opinions are. Thanks and have a great weekend.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #2

Wow! I wasn't thinking NuWave, but I have been thinking about an induction type cooktop. Let us know how the NuWave works, if you get it.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #3

I have a NuWave and use it at home frequently. I love the idea of putting it in the camper!
ginaoberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Always Learning

The only thing that I know about them is they're somehow magically magnet-based. Your pots and pans have to be made of a ferrous metal. The cooktop heats the pot/pan directly. It only gets hot where the pan is touching the countertop and cools quickly.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The only thing that I know about them is they're somehow magically magnet-based. Your pots and pans have to be made of a ferrous metal. The cooktop heats the pot/pan directly. It only gets hot where the pan is touching the countertop and cools quickly.
Yup. That is correct and they are extremely efficient. Besides, you would not be using your propane, you would be using the parks electricity!

Old 07-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Stainless cookware WILL NOT WORK on them. Suggest buying the cookware they offer when you buy the Nuwave. TOWTA took a magnet with her and checked before she bought cookware and came home with a set the magnet stuck to and it would NOT work. She finally found some that did work after 2 or 3 attempts.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #7

I was thinking of using something like this. However, a portable model would be good because you could take it outside, as well. Summit SINC2220 12" Induction Cooktop with 2 Cooking Zones, 8 Power Levels, Automatic Pan Detection, Touch Sensor Controls, Starter Cookset and 240V

Don't want to hijack this thread, but is anyone using induction cooking of any kind?

Old 07-27-2013, 06:09 AM   #8

While it’s not a NuWave, we do have an induction cooktop that we use during the summer months. Our cooktop works with any pot or pan with a magnetic bottom. The surface of the cooktop remains cool with the exception of where the pan is sitting during cooking. When the pan is removed, that part of the induction surface will still be very hot. We use ours for cooking pasta outside the camper so that the steam from the boiling water doesn’t heat up the trailer. Water comes to a boil much faster using induction heating rather than propane or natural gas. We like the induction cooktop but really only use it during hot weather.

At one time Wildcat Chris asked for thoughts about a two burner induction cooktop in their line of Wildcats. That never did come about and I’m guessing it was probably because of the amp draw for induction cooking.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #9

Just received my NuwavePIC2 in the mail yesterday. I bought it for the camper, but I can't wait to use it. Our next trip is in 2 weeks, but I may try it out before then. My dad has one in his camper and he loves it.

www.nuwavepic.com
sherri330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #10

We bought one for our 5er and have used it a couple time. I have a table I put out by our grill and we put the NuWave PIC2 in there (plug near by) and have used it to boil water for corn on the Cobb and it has worked great.
coderider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #11

We have a NuWave Cook Top and have been using it all year so far, We started out side with it, but since have moved inside and my Lovely wife uses it all the time now. Very seldom does she use the gas stove now, she placed it on the stove top so to have the exhaust fan if needed. It does not hurt the counter top when she had it on it, we placed a cutting board under it just to be on the safe side. But it really does work GREAT!!! And she likes the pans that came with it. And she was raised on Gas not Electric so this was a trick to get her to switch, but she is glad she did.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
JAYCO Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
At one time Wildcat Chris asked for thoughts about a two burner induction cooktop in their line of Wildcats. That never did come about and I’m guessing it was probably because of the amp draw for induction cooking.
I'm still thinking about it...
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote