Old 09-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King
The install dude was wrong, all you need is a second receiver, hook it up to the dish you have at your RV, then call dish and tell them you want to add a receiver to your account. Then when not needed for awhile call Dish back and tell them to turn that receiver off.
I see what he was saying.
He was saying he didn't want to have to take his home receiver as to not have to mess with it. So therefore 7 dollar a month extra for receiver to be in camper extra.

Misread.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post
The install dude was wrong, all you need is a second receiver, hook it up to the dish you have at your RV, then call dish and tell them you want to add a receiver to your account. Then when not needed for awhile call Dish back and tell them to turn that receiver off.

Thats what is confusing me...I didn't think I had a dish at my RV! I only have the standard roof-mounted antannae. I have the SAT and CABLE hook-up in the RV....I have read where people just use the standard roof-mounted antannae to pull sat signal...is this possible or do you have to go buy a separate dish to pull signal from? I really don't want to spend all that money on the Tailgaiter because it is unnecessary. I have a travel trailer at a permanent site...I could just as easily get a dish on a tripod for next to nothing, but do I need that?

Old 09-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker0927

Thats what is confusing me...I didn't think I had a dish at my RV! I only have the standard roof-mounted antannae. I have the SAT and CABLE hook-up in the RV....I have read where people just use the standard roof-mounted antannae to pull sat signal...is this possible or do you have to go buy a separate dish to pull signal from? I really don't want to spend all that money on the Tailgaiter because it is unnecessary. I have a travel trailer at a permanent site...I could just as easily get a dish on a tripod for next to nothing, but do I need that?
No you cannot use antenna.
You need a dish or a carry out dome as I gave you links to up a few posts.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

This is what I use.
Got it free from an installer as it was a used take off.
Tripod was an old work light stand

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120911_115003.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	19422
Old 09-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #15

Okay...so basically I need to go get some sort of dish to post outside of the camper and it hooks into the external sat/cable coax on the back of the TT. Then the receiver connects to the internal sat coax. I pay $7/month extra for the 2nd receiver and Dish will turn it on for the few months a year that I use it? Do I have that all straight now?
Old 09-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #16

In that case, just get an Dish network dish. Should be able to find one fairly cheap as Dish just leaves them behind when their service is disconnected. Lots of them hanging on houses not being used and people like to get rid of them.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker0927 View Post
Oh... Turbo's right.

You will need another dish satellite antenna for your RV. If you keep you RV at a permanent site, I would get a normal dish satellite antenna and set it up your self or hire a satellite install person to do it. If your RV is not at a permanent site, the tailgater or something similar would work as well.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker0927
Okay...so basically I need to go get some sort of dish to post outside of the camper and it hooks into the external sat/cable coax on the back of the TT. Then the receiver connects to the internal sat coax. I pay $7/month extra for the 2nd receiver and Dish will turn it on for the few months a year that I use it? Do I have that all straight now?
I think your golden !
Old 09-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeg View Post
In that case, just get an Dish network dish. Should be able to find one fairly cheap as Dish just leaves them behind when their service is disconnected. Lots of them hanging on houses not being used and people like to get rid of them.

I have a new Dish at the house with the Hopper....is there a certain dish I should look for? Anything in particular...I'm not real educated on the dish set-up but noticed the different appearing components on the dishes.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #20

I am faced with the same problem but I don't mind buying the dish and 2nd receiver, it's the $7 a month all year that I don't like. Are you guys sure Dish will turn it off/on at your request without charges?