Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1
I am faced with the same problem but I don't mind buying the dish and 2nd receiver, it's the $7 a month all year that I don't like. Are you guys sure Dish will turn it off/on at your request without charges?
With the tailgater im certain.
Read the link I posted above.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
I am faced with the same problem but I don't mind buying the dish and 2nd receiver, it's the $7 a month all year that I don't like. Are you guys sure Dish will turn it off/on at your request without charges?
As long as you have a account at home, I wouldn't think they would have a problem turning off the extra receiver and eliminating the extra $7 per month, when you don't need it. Call and ask...

Like I said earlier I think they have a month to month plan, if you don't have a account that you want to keep active.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker0927

I have a new Dish at the house with the Hopper....is there a certain dish I should look for? Anything in particular...I'm not real educated on the dish set-up but noticed the different appearing components on the dishes.
Look at the dish at your house and buy the same thing.
Ebay would be the best place for a used one.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=77606428123

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=65873414312
Old 09-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #25

Just called Dish and after beinf given 4 different phone #'s they aslo gave me this website DISHForMyRV: DISH Mobile Satellite Systems & Pay-As-You-Go TV for RV, Tailgating, & the Great Outdoors
jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #26

Got a hold of a real person who knew something!-now if I can remember it. The difference between their normal plans and pay-as-you-go is you buy the equipment upfront instead of signing a 2yr contract- There is no contract and you can turn it on and off as you like with no fees. The same packages are available as normal Dish so you pick the one out you want call and activate.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmswms
Got a hold of a real person who knew something!-now if I can remember it. The difference between their normal plans and pay-as-you-go is you buy the equipment upfront instead of signing a 2yr contract- There is no contract and you can turn it on and off as you like with no fees. The same packages are available as normal Dish so you pick the one out you want call and activate.
I'd recommend buying a used receiver versus paying them full price.
But good job !
Old 09-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #28

If you just use the one out of your house you can't turn it on and off without charges (pretty sure thats what she said)because it then becomes part of the contract -this is only good if you get the pay as you go plan which is setup for RVing-tailgating etc
Old 09-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Do u have dish in home?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #30

Only drawback to all of this is finding a parking spot with shade for you and open sky for the dish to find satellite. We have an automatic carryout from Camping World, dumb thing requires you to plug in it's inverter to get 110 down to 12H so an outside plug in of either is necessary or modification to get cords inside. Fun just never ends eh?! With my busy hubby all we get time for is late evening and a DVD works for that.
trailgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #31

I do have Dish in-home. I have seen the DishformyRV site and I'm looking at the Weekender package. I have a feeling that they wont allow you to buy your own dish on Ebay and then purchase the package from them to run monthly. I'm just pissed because when I originally talked to Dish the idiot of a salesman told me that I would get two full-functioning receivers (one of which I could keep at the camper for half the year) and that I didn't need an extra satellite dish due to one being "built-in" to my camper. I didn't think this sounded right, but he assured me that he was right....oh to meet this man in a dark alley would be a pleasure!
kicker0927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #32

Oh, forgot to mention, Dish doesn't need too know where you are using your receiver, don't pay for any extra receiver, just use what you already have, get your compatible dish, dome, whatever, match the stitches up and go. They don't know where you are receiving from and if asked about a phone tell them you are using it in room without one. We've done this for 10 years with no problem. It's just another way to get more of your money.
trailgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I do have Dish in-home. I have seen the DishformyRV site and I'm looking at the Weekender package. I have a feeling that they wont allow you to buy your own dish on Ebay and then purchase the package from them to run monthly. I'm just pissed because when I originally talked to Dish the idiot of a salesman told me that I would get two full-functioning receivers (one of which I could keep at the camper for half the year) and that I didn't need an extra satellite dish due to one being "built-in" to my camper. I didn't think this sounded right, but he assured me that he was right....oh to meet this man in a dark alley would be a pleasure!
Honestly taking your dish from the house and hooking it to a ready set sat dish at your site takes all of 5 minutes.

Home
Unplug receiver
Unplug connection to tv
Unplug connection from dish.

Camper
Plug in receiver
Plug in tv input
Plug in sat cable

Dish will automatically find the signal
Download program guide

Done
Old 09-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #34

I watched a couple videos and it looks kind of difficult to set up the Dish in the right formation to get channels. Its very touchy. Is this something that would have to be aligned and fixed everytime you even move it a bit, say to mow around it or the kids accidentally bump it?
kicker0927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #35
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I watched a couple videos and it looks kind of difficult to set up the Dish in the right formation to get channels. Its very touchy. Is this something that would have to be aligned and fixed everytime you even move it a bit, say to mow around it or the kids accidentally bump it?
Once it's set unless it's moved its good.

I use my portable manual tripod I posted the pic earlier I have to set it up each time we go. Takes me less than ten minutes to set up and get signal

Can it be mounted on a pole or something out of the way ?