Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #1

One Satellite connection in from outside......

Hey all...... Quick question, there is one Satellite connection on the outside and on the inside the TT there is 2 Satellite connection's.... 1 by the main TV and another in the bedroom.
Now I know that when watching Satellite TV on 2 sets, it's possible, but have to have another receiver for the other TV AND has to be on the same Satellite when watching.
So, my question is I've seen some outside dish's have a 2 hook up for coax to run 2 TV's...... but the TT only has 1 "in" Satellite hook up but as said 2 connections in 2 places. Will I be able to order 1 more receiver for the bedroom and be able to use both TV's off the one Satellite dish?
OR
Do I need to get the 2 hook up Satellite dish and run another coax to the bedroom?
Thanks!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:51 AM   #2

depends, what ANTENNA do you have?
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #3

Dish Tailgater............
Old 01-13-2018, 12:55 PM   #4

I like your 'Festus' pic! looks just like my Dad... : )

The KingTailgater2, DishTailgater, and the original 'cube' Tailgater, all work basically the same.... except some, like the KingTailgater2, have TWO outputs:

A) MAIN output
B) Secondary output(if so)

A).. the MAIN output supplies the full range of acquired(found by the receiver) Satellites, such as 110,119,and 129. This receiver and it's TV can then watch any channel on any of these satellites(at least the channels you are subscribed to, of course). The Tailgater, and any portable satellite Antenna, has a SINGLE LNB, otherwise an 'eyeball', that can track either of the three satellite, individually, one at a time. If you change a channel to one on a different satellite, then it will take the 'eyeball' a second or so to 'move' to that satellite and tune into the channel. Otherwise, it's just like satellite tv at home, or cable tv, etc.

B) a Secondary receiver/TV can be used in conjunction with your MAIN receiver, meaning that the MAIN receiver decides which 'Satellite' it is tuned to, and the Secondary receiver/TV can ONLY watch a channel from that satellite. If the Main receiver tunes to a different channel on a different satellite, then the Secondary receiver/TV will lose it's signal and show the 'Your Channel Is Not Available' or similar on-screen notice(Blue Screen).
In essence, the secondary receiver is 'piggy backing' off the Main receiver since the Antenna only has one LNB or eyeball and can only view a single satellite at a time. Many of us are used to our 'Home' manual yard or house mounted open Dish Antennas, with two or three LNB eyeballs. These manual dish Antennas provide access to All Three Satellites at any time, and for ALL attached Receiver(Three max) independently, since there are THREE LNB eyeballs.
For the portable units, the Secondary Receiver/TV can certainly view ANY subscribed channels you wish, though you have to be aware of how to make it happen. If you want the Secondary tv to see an HD channel on Satellite 129, such as HGTV Channel 112, then you have to make sure that not only your Main receiver is tuned to a channel on that satellite, but that your Secondary receiver WAS PROGRAMMED/Acquired it's signal WHILE the Main receiver was on that satellite.
While it can get confusing, once you've done it once or twice, it becomes a better understanding of what's happening, and how to best handle it for your situation.

We find that Satellite 129, in HD, is the best Satellite to tune to with the Main receiver while we Acquire/program the Secondary receiver.... at least, of course, when the Satellite 129 is in view. This gives both the Main receiver/tv and the Secondary receiver/tv MANY quality HD channels to choose from. If the main receiver decides to change to a channel not on this satellite, then you can still watch it from the main receiver/tv, but the secondary will go to the Blue Screen, at least until you change the Main receiver back to a channel on sat 129.

Got it? : ) Fun, but true.

and for those who don't want to fight with this aggravation because they want two different tvs to see different channels on different Satellites, there's nothing to keep you from have TWO Tailgater or similar portable antennas!
Old 01-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #5

to add insult to injury, we've also found ANOTHER way to have Satellite channels on many different TVs within your RV(we have FIVE)...

if you only have one Receiver, and it has a 'TV OUT' coax output, like our VIP211k models, then you can easily run that line to any/all of your other TVs. Those TVs can watch whatever the receiver is tuned to, your Main receiver of course, even if you are not watching the TV where the satellite antenna is attached, though it must be ON, and tuned to the channel you wish the other TV(s) to see.

fun, ain't it!
Old 01-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #6

You need a separate connection from your dish to each box. I had the same thing on our rig and found the satellite cable coming from the outside went to a splitter buried behind the dvd. I took out the splitter and used that connection for the bedroom. Fortunitly the enterment center is in the same slideout as the outside connections so I drilled straight through and mounted a second satellite connection for the living room tv next to the other.
Since we normally have the King dish mounted on the roof and those cables are feed to connections behind the bedroom tv I use the cable that goes between the two locations to feed the signal in eather direction depending on if the dish is on the roof or tripod. Works great, just takes switching a few cables to make it happen.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:35 PM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Great write up formerFR.

Has anyone tried a full spectrum satellite, connecting to DISH network? This is what I am believing.

Mt Pathway X2 satellite as in most RV satellite will only lock onto one signal at a time. This is the problem when connecting to the external satellite connection on our RV. The house "Receiver Satellite" looks at all three sat-signals continually.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:25 PM   #8

OK, Got it.....
Thanks all for your input!
Kevin
Old 01-13-2018, 08:40 PM   #9

I have 1 Direct TV dish at my trailer in MA. 1 cable connection outside. One main receiver in the living room. A cable from the living room to the bedroom with a slave receiver on that tv. I take my equipment from home to the trailer.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I have 1 Direct TV dish at my trailer in MA. 1 cable connection outside. One main receiver in the living room. A cable from the living room to the bedroom with a slave receiver on that tv. I take my equipment from home to the trailer.
Same here - except I have 2 coax connections outside (I only use 1).

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #11

On my 2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604WS, the satellite connection that is on the exterior comes up next to the switched coax connection for cable/antenna. Then there is another separate satellite connection next to it which runs to the bedroom where it is labelled as "satellite". So... you now have a choice! If you have only one satellite receiver, you can run a cable from the satellite connector next to the antenna switch to the coax in of the receiver, then connect a cable from the coax out on the receiver to the other satellite connector for the bedroom. The disadvantage is that the bedroom TV is dependant on that one receiver.
What I do is I use a SPLITTER where the satellite signal comes in. One of the out ports on the splitter goes to the receiver in the living area, and the other goes to the connector for the bedroom where the second receiver is. Independent choice is better... no???
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:39 PM   #12

Satellite systems will not work with a splitter in the system. The splitters are low frequency and the satellite signal is high frequency.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:34 PM   #13

I beg to differ....

https://www.hdtvsupply.com/rfspforhd.html
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:49 AM   #14

My tt only has the one sat connect next to the sat/cable switch. There is only one coax out plug in at the bedrooms and outside. I have been pondering this delema since I purchased the tt. My direct box only has a HDMI out, rather than a coax out. I wish fr had a wiring diagram specifically just for your tt TV needs. Wishful!!
BrandoSmash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
On my 2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604WS, the satellite connection that is on the exterior comes up next to the switched coax connection for cable/antenna. Then there is another separate satellite connection next to it which runs to the bedroom where it is labelled as "satellite". So... you now have a choice! If you have only one satellite receiver, you can run a cable from the satellite connector next to the antenna switch to the coax in of the receiver, then connect a cable from the coax out on the receiver to the other satellite connector for the bedroom. The disadvantage is that the bedroom TV is dependant on that one receiver.
What I do is I use a SPLITTER where the satellite signal comes in. One of the out ports on the splitter goes to the receiver in the living area, and the other goes to the connector for the bedroom where the second receiver is. Independent choice is better... no???
I agree we have the same set as you, you need a satellite splitter, cable splitter will not work. and our works great.
Twincamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite