Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #21
RKR

Open Ground Code Still

It's right next to the main OC. They tied into the main and added a box because there wasn't any lugs available on the breaker panel in the garage. I knew double lugging isn't a good practice.
I'm looking forward to getting this resolved and sharing the solution though. I ain't no lectrician for sure

Sent from my high tech gadget
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
It's right next to the main OC. They tied into the main and added a box because there wasn't any lugs available on the breaker panel in the garage. I knew double lugging isn't a good practice.
I'm looking forward to getting this resolved and sharing the solution though. I ain't no lectrician for sure

Me either, that's for sure! I've just seen the neutral and ground connected in a lot of main boxes. Have no idea if that is causing your problem.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Often the Neutral Bus bar has a extra screw that ties it to the ground via a box connection. Look for a bonding screw on the bus bar.

If the ground and neutral are actually tied together at your new box that is the same as the service entrance as far as the Progressive is concerned. Are there any LED lights in the cable or the power entrance port on the RV? Maybe they are providing a leakage path?
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:11 PM   #24
RKR

B and B , I don't have an LED light on the crossover . I'll check that bus bar in the morning. Hopefully it's the crossover from 50 to 30 amp that's giving me problems. It's the original one the dealer gave me when I bought the 5er.
If I bypass the EMS everything runs fine. I let the 5er plugged in for 2 days and ran the AC for one day.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:04 AM   #25

My install last night went well without a hitch. Mine didn't come with the jumper wire for the time delay so I'm going to call Progressive and ask them about it. My time delay isn't but a few seconds before the surge protector kicks in and I'd like a longer delay than that. Here are a couple pics of my install. Hope you got yours fixed RKR. Oh and the wires above the Surge Protector are just Satellite cables. I wired mine coming out of the transfer switch so I would have surge protection from the generator and shore power.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1605.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	62635

Name:	IMAG1615.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	62636
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:23 AM   #26
RKR

Looks great bud. It looks like you at least one water line near yours. I have many. My hot water heater and water source is next to the outlet. I have all kinds of water lines in my compartment. I could of installed my EMS on the floor but opted for the wall to try and minimize the risk of the EMS getting wet if I spring a leak. I'll probably install some type of cover over the EMS in case I get a leak some day.
I still have my open ground issue. Had a late day at work yesterday so I couldn't do anything. I'll be back on it today for sure.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #27

Yes there are several water lines in my compartment over the transfer switch and probably my new EMS also but if I spring a leak .
Hope your able to get your issue solved. Have you called the tech support at Progressive yet. You'll need to be at your RV when you call them. I'm sure they would be glad to help you with it they are real good at customer tech support.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 09-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #28
RKR

Yapster, I haven't called Progressive yet. From the intel here and other sources the issue is before the power gets to the EMS.
It looks like my retired electrical contractor neighbor is back from fishing. His pickup was in the driveway when I left for work this am. Hopefully he'll be home when I get off work. He has all those fancy gadgets for tracking stuff down and I'm going to have him check the main box that new one is tied to for problems.
Those water lines are in a crazy place. My inverter would also be screwed if I had a good leak. I will pull down that divider wall next time and take look before I buy the next 5er. If I decide to keep this one for any length of time I'll probably look at trying to re-route the water lines somehow.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #29

That's good hopefully he can fix your issue for you.
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 09-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #30
RKR

Update :

After swapping 50 to 30 amp crossover with one from Progressive still open ground code.
I had my retired electrical contractor neighbor come over with his volt meter and check everything. Everything is wired correctly all the way back to the box. We called Progressive and the neighbor and I followed their trouble shooting steps and still get the open ground code.
Sending unit back to Progressive for replacement.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #31

Maybe the unit is bad then. Hope that new one does the trick. I've had mine hooked to the power pole ever since my install. I think its cool seeing the read out and gives me piece of mind. Good luck let me know how it goes.
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
Old 09-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #32
RKR

For sure bud. I have no ill feelings toward Progressive. The tech took my call after 5 and was helpful and I learned a few things. It should install easier next time with the wires already cut and stripped.
I'll update again after the next install.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #33

If I missed this suggestion in any of the previous post I apologize, but have you turned all breakers in the RV off prior to turning on the main? If you isolate all circuits first then turn them on one at a time you may find the one causing the fault.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:27 PM   #34
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabbwr View Post
If I missed this suggestion in any of the previous post I apologize, but have you turned all breakers in the RV off prior to turning on the main? If you isolate all circuits first then turn them on one at a time you may find the one causing the fault.

Thanks bud. Progressive says the issue isn't on the output side of the box and we checked everything back the main source.
I will give your idea a shot though. I have nothing to lose. I haven't taken the box out yet. I'll turn off all the breakers and leave the main on and see what happens.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #35
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabbwr View Post

The problem isn't in the coach, it's either in the power source or the EMS itself. Turning off breakers in the RV does nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #36
RKR

Yup, the breaker thing didn't work either but it was an easy idea worth a shot.
The EMS is hopefully coming out tomorrow if I get time. I'll post when I get the new one installed.
Thanks for everyone's ideas.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #37
RKR

Update:
Progressive received my EMS box last Monday and it arrived back to me Friday. It was the board after all. I just got back today from a 2 day trip. Will have it installed maybe tomorrow morning for sure Monday. The pic shows what they found wrong.
I'm pretty impressed with them backing their work.

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1411845798.851102.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	683.4 KB
ID:	63641

Old 09-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #38

Great service from the manufacturer, and glad you got it resolved.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #39
RKR

Last update:

Progressive 50 amp EMS installed and working fine. Sure glad Progressive got to it and sent it back in very timely manner.
Onto to next mod. It'll probably be this flimsy basement wall. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1411916877.055336.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	935.1 KB
ID:	63670

I can't see it holding up in the long run. Looks like I got room for a 2x2 wall. Just need to figure out a better way to mount it in there. Something solid and quick release type.