Old 09-04-2011, 12:38 AM   #1

Outside coax connector

We have an outside coax connector for camp ground TV connections. There is a flip up cover that exposes the male coax connector. My problem is the threads on the connector are recessed to far into the trailer wall. Hooking up a threaded coax cable is really difficult as there is no room in the box to get our fingers into. I have been looking for a short 2 foot extension cable that just pushes on, no turning of any nuts required. I'll then connect my regular cable to the short extension.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you solve it, any idea where to get a short extension like the one I describe ?

Old 09-04-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
one day at a time

something like this would work well i think

Slotted Wrench / Shield Key

or they make one that is on a screwdriver type handle

Idle_Idylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:16 AM   #3

You can get push on cable wires for televisions at places like Walmart and Best Buy, they are usually about 4' long, then get a connector to join the two together
Old 09-04-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I use this. It works great. I have in my home and camper tool kit.

Coax Cable Tools 7/16in F Type Connector

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #5

Coax tool

Thanks everyone. Who would have thunk there was even a tool available for this?? I had checked every Walmart and electronic store I saw for the push on cables, none were available. So, shopping I will go to the electronic stores. I love tools!
Old 09-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #6

I changed the F-connectors to quality connectors which are often larger nut area allowing you to get your fingers on them. It is probably more expensive as you need the "crimp tool" and the connectors. I had them all from being in the business. I do not like store bought cables as they put that plastic strain relief on the end and the nuts for the f-connector are so small. The store cable you are buying is very cheap quality and not made to make multiple hookups and removals. They are made to hookup once and leave them be. Just remember, each time you add a connection, you loose approx 3dB of signal. The more connectors, the weaker the signal at the receiver. Try to friend "the cable guy" or a satellite guy and see if they will make you up a cable to length. I used to do it all the time. Good customer relations! One other thing about the type of cable, as you look at the center of the coax, you will see that it is solid. Everytime it moves, it weekens the center conductor. Think of repeated bending of a piece of metal will eventualy break off. In coax, you may not realize the center is broken. Try to stick with a quality cable.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #7

radio shack is a good source for the pig tail.

i like those tools. i have a couple vcrs and tv's that like to put a little tab next to the coax connection. real pain nursing that fitting when ur trying to reach around.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #8

Push on Connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_C View Post
We have an outside coax connector for camp ground TV connections. There is a flip up cover that exposes the male coax connector. My problem is the threads on the connector are recessed to far into the trailer wall. Hooking up a threaded coax cable is really difficult as there is no room in the box to get our fingers into. I have been looking for a short 2 foot extension cable that just pushes on, no turning of any nuts required. I'll then connect my regular cable to the short extension.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you solve it, any idea where to get a short extension like the one I describe ?
I know that this is a little late, but if you are still looking for a simple solution to your problem you may want to try these connectors instead of a pigtail.

Gold Series Screw-On to Push-On F Connector Adapter : Adapters | RadioShack.com

I added these to my regular cable to solve the exact problem you identified, and no tools are required other than the initial installation.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpacker View Post
I know that this is a little late, but if you are still looking for a simple solution to your problem you may want to try these connectors instead of a pigtail.

Gold Series Screw-On to Push-On F Connector Adapter : Adapters | RadioShack.com

I added these to my regular cable to solve the exact problem you identified, and no tools are required other than the initial installation.
Use a similar one except it is 90 degree one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00228.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	26064