Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #1

Outside Satellite connections - 2009 Salem 30QBSS

Hi all new Member here. Just bought a 2009 Salem 30QBSS and wanted to get the Satellite hooked up before we take it out camping. After going over the TT I do not see where there is an exterior connection for SAT "IN" to be hooked up. I'm wondering if I need to Install a jack for this or am I missing the Obvious?? Going to install a dish 500 dish on a tripod for the time being and make sure everything works before taking er out on the first test run. Supposed to be rainy this weekend.

Thanks alot and happy to be a part of all this !
Joe.
Joemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If you you don't see a sat in connection there most likely isn't one.
Run your own coax .

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #3

Thanks Turbs......being new to the new central system DVD/CD/radio I have 3 coax hookups one in the bunkhouse one in the master bedroom and one in the living room. I'm guessing there's a splitter somewhere for the TV antenna on top of the camper that runs the signal to all 3 rooms but wondering where the splitter may be ? I'd like to find this junction so i can reach all 3 rooms. I'll get a better look when I get home but if anyone has done this It would be cool to know what you've went through and where this splitter is ?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemamma View Post
Thanks Turbs......being new to the new central system DVD/CD/radio I have 3 coax hookups one in the bunkhouse one in the master bedroom and one in the living room. I'm guessing there's a splitter somewhere for the TV antenna on top of the camper that runs the signal to all 3 rooms but wondering where the splitter may be ? I'd like to find this junction so i can reach all 3 rooms. I'll get a better look when I get home but if anyone has done this It would be cool to know what you've went through and where this splitter is ?
Splitter is behind your dvd radio combo.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #5

Thankyou !!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #6

One of those 3 coax connections (probably the living room) is probably on the Winegard antenna amplifier control. It has a little black push button and light in addition to the coax connection. This control has two inputs (OTA antenna and "Cable-TV" In) (as well as 12v power). It has two outputs: One you see on the front and the other on the back is what is driving that splitter for TV in the other two rooms. If your Sat receiver has "coax out", you can just connect that to the "Cable-In" on the controller and you're all set. (If your RV has a cable-in on the outside, you could put an AB switch to select that external cable-in or the Sat out.)

Note that turning that controller on (light) gets OTA distributed throughout your RV. When it's off, "Cable-In" is distributed.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #7

Thanks Barry. I do know that that black amplifier Button is on the wall plate in the Bunkhouse. No other wall plate has this button. I'm guessing this button just amplifies the TV ant signal ? This Salem RV has no Cable input outside so that was the reason for my initial post. I'm not sure if I will run into issues with this amplifier signal button pushed in while watching Sat TV ? but should know this weekend. The Dish receiver should have an ANT "IN" and a SAT "IN" on the back of the receiver so I'm thinking I can use the satellite remote to switch between the 2. If not I will have to manually switch when not in use but just need to keep the connections accessable to make the switch.

Thank again !!!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #8

I think it's likely that the splitter is behind that plate in the bunkhouse then. The button turns the Amp on/off, but also switches what goes to the coax-outs from antenna (on) or "Cable" (off). It sounds like there is no connection on the "Cable-In" for you then.

Which Dish receiver do you use?

I agree that you can put the antenna output into the Ant-In place on the receiver, which will let the Dish Guide show you OTA stuff (if you're camping near your residence). You probably won't need to switch any connections once you get it set up.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #9

WOW i hope the splitter is back there ! I dont need the wife seeing me dismantling the DVD player in the Living room ! I have a friend bringing me an old receiver in tommorow. Im hoping it has the antenna in. If not it will be a cakewalk to install a connector back there on the outside of the trailer as opposed to messing with anything in the Living room. I'll get into it tonight and post pics for anyone adding an external Satellite connection that may need ideas.

Joe
Old 05-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #10

Joe, just to take this a little beyond your question, can we assume that you have experience pointing that Dish on a tripod at the satellites?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #11

hehehe.... Thank you Barry for the concern ! YES ! I have been into satellite systems for years......I also just found that APP for android. (which I cant wait to test) Lots of years descrambling Directv and Dish lots of FTA dishes and such.... I used to Run a 486 DX2 PC behind my TV to get "THE SIGNAL" ........ BUT is has been a few years without having to point up to Canada because the US stream began a new encryption cycle.... So I'm interested to see if I still "HAVE IT"..lol....Hope my Statute of Limitations has run out !

Joe
Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #12

Awesome! You'll be a great resource for us all! Thanks.

Tags
satellite, salem