Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2015, 06:13 AM   #1

Outside speaker not working

We purchased a 2015 Forest River 21FBRS on 2/17/2015 and since we are newbies we couldn't wait to take it camping. It was cold and we spent the night in a local campground. Our furnace stopped working, I've already complained about that, and we had to tow the trailer more than 50 miles back to the dealer from the campground. We took it out a second time and noticed that now one of the outside speakers isn't working. This is a brand new trailer and maybe my expectations are too high, but I expect everything to work. Had I known that I would be driving and towing it back to the dealer, that is almost 50 miles away, I may have purchased one at a closer dealership, or perhaps, not purchased one at all.
Is this typical? Should I request reimbursement or some type of credit for a 100 mile round tow trip every time something goes wrong? It's still under warranty, but this is costing me gas and miles. Any suggestions regarding speaker repair and/or recouping costs would be appreciated.
lishagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lishagirl View Post
We purchased a 2015 Forest River 21FBRS on 2/17/2015 and since we are newbies we couldn't wait to take it camping. It was cold and we spent the night in a local campground. Our furnace stopped working, I've already complained about that, and we had to tow the trailer more than 50 miles back to the dealer from the campground. We took it out a second time and noticed that now one of the outside speakers isn't working. This is a brand new trailer and maybe my expectations are too high, but I expect everything to work. Had I known that I would be driving and towing it back to the dealer, that is almost 50 miles away, I may have purchased one at a closer dealership, or perhaps, not purchased one at all.
Is this typical? Should I request reimbursement or some type of credit for a 100 mile round tow trip every time something goes wrong? It's still under warranty, but this is costing me gas and miles. Any suggestions regarding speaker repair and/or recouping costs would be appreciated.
If the other outside speaker is working, the most likely cause is a loose or disconnected wire, probably at the speaker itself. Take the speaker out (either the screws can be seen/reached through holes in the grill, or the grill pops off with a screwdriver)and see if you can find a loose wire. If the wires all appear to be tight, swap that speaker with the one that is working. That will tell you if the problem is the speaker itself or the wiring inside the tt. Once you know what you are dealing with, you can decide how to proceed, or you can simply take the trailer back to the dealer and let them deal with it.

Trailers are built by human beings, and the occasionally things go wrong. Add to that the fact that they bounce over some pretty rough roads at times (I-65 through Birmingham being a prime example) and things shake loose. It comes with the territory. As far as reimbursement for your trips back to the dealer, that's not the norm, and I would not count on that.

You might want to consider holding off and just living with the speaker not working, for a while at least. Use the trailer...find out if anything else needs attention, keep a list, and makeone trip and have it all done at once.

Good luck.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:18 AM   #3

I was doing some audio system upgrades, Bluetooth to be exact. When I pulled my stereo I noticed a speaker wire disconnected. Most likely due to an improper crimp. If it's not at the speaker like previously mentioned check behind the radio. If all is connected and still no sound take the speaker and connect a piece of speaker wire to the terminals. Touch the other ends of the speaker wire to the opposite ends of a small battery, AA or AAA, etc. If the speaker is good it will make a popping sound. If it's bad, no sound. Hope this helps.

2013 Solaire Eclipse 317BHSK 2009 Denali XL Tow Vehicle with Equalizer distribution and sway control
PMickey is offline   Reply With Quote